What is My Husband Thinking? We are going to the Dark Side???

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Sharon, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Long Story and I'm still confused! Some times it helps when you actually write it out and chat with others.

Lets get started!

We went to the Super show in Tampa this past Sunday (around the corner from us) This was our 1st Super Show. We went on Sunday as Hubby has been working every Saturday for the past couple months.

I was so excited I could not sleep Saturday night, got to sleep at 3am and was up at 7:30 getting ready so we could be there when they opened at 9am. So let me tell you. If you have never been to the "Super Show" Holy Cow! they have it named right. We have been to 2 smaller events last year and this one was so huge.

Most of you know we sold our pop up July of 2012 and we have been looking at 2 hybrids online for a year and half and went hoping to see the Jayco 23B and Rockwood Roo 21SS in person to get a feel for them in size and such. Well, we did get to see them both in person. And looked at a couple other models. The first one we seen was the Jayco 23B, my favorite. We spent about an hour with this unit. Checking it over. I think I knew more about it then the young kid trying to sell it to us. I ended up talking another couple in to buying this unit. LOL! Okay, so we decided it really is to big for us. As we want some thing small. So they say they have a X20E the same layout and a little shorter but did not have it there. But, Tampa RV bought out Bates and remodeled the place and made it bigger and have one on route there now. So We said, okay, we gave them our number and said call us when it comes in so we can go see it.

On the way out of this "Jayco" dealer spot. My hubby seen this camper (TT) sitting at the opening of that dealer spot. It was a Coleman 194 QB. He loved every thing about it. The dark cabinets, color of the outside, storage, U shaped Dinette with pull out storage. Dedicated Queen bed with Entertainment center with sliding door. Power awning, power tongue lift. Huge pass though storage in front. I mean this one had all the upgrades and while we were in there. The guy comes and tells our sales person they just lowed it to $17900 from $25000 sale price posted on the outside which is a awesome deal. So I was a little shocked, he was even loving this thing. As he said the Jayco 23B was to big! The Coleman is almost 26 feet. What !?!?!?! And I think this thing was just "Too Nice" for us. My hubby thinks I'm nuts. LOL!

So we head out to go look at the Roo which was all the way in the back of the show. And along the way, he keeps stopping at all the TT's. And he keeps saying this isnt as nice as the Coleman. So Im getting the feeling he really dont want a HTT.

We finally make it to the Roo and we both decided out of the two we liked the Jayco better. So said we would just wait to look at the X20 E.

Okay, so heading out we come to this TT that caught our eye. It was a PrimeTime Tracer 235AIR. We fell in love with this thing. And actually got to the part of working out the numbers. And how much the payment was going to be. And while we were sitting there waiting for the sales guy to come back. I got a really bad feeling about this one. Because, We went there for a HTT, This was bigger then the Jayco 23B and the Coleman. And it was more then the Coleman. So when he comes back and says, Okay, we just need to sign papers and get the down payment. I just could not do it. I felt there was some unanswered questions of how we went from getting a HTT to a TT. And felt it needed some more time to think on it. Hubby was shocked but he trust my judgement. So off we went and headed home. I looked online and they have a 215AIR that is nice and a little smaller. So have to go see one.

Side note! This Tracer (We never heard of before) was with a company called "General RV" and are building a brand new Super Center on the corner of Interstate I4 and Forbes Rd (Yeah, right around the corner from me) will be open in October.

Having felt enlighten and confused by the events that happened that day. On the drive home. I asked why he now wants a TT instead. He says, Well, you know our kids will never camp with us so really we don't need all the sleeping space the HTT has. And with our medical issue I think we would be more comfortable in a TT. And as for the size. We have a tendency to keep things for long time so we shouldn't go to small and not be happy so should go with some thing around 25 feet and think long term about our retirement in a couple years.

Okay, so I get all that and guess I agree. I just still think 25Ft is so big. Maybe because of the height it just looks massive. Our boat was 17 feet with trailer was 21. So I'm trying to associate it with that. The dang height is just so massive to me.

So all in all. Looks like we will be moving to the "Dark Side" instead of the "Grey Side" and should finally be some time in the next few months. If we can decide on a model and size.

Im worried we passed up a awesome price on the Coleman because it was a last day Super show price. Will have to see how this works out. Can you get really great deals like this at the dealer lot??

So much to think about! Comments and Opinions are welcome!
    Sharon

2. bccamper

bccamper Member

We are going to the RV show in Grand Rapids tonight...not to buy...just to look...hopefully the same thing doesnt happen to me :)

3. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

If you got the Dealers name and contact info, whichever you decide on, I am sure they will hold the Show price for you.
    I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would go back to a TT, and defiantly not a NEW one, but time and age brings on changes. Some out of necessity as much as desire. After our first trip with the TT I knew we had made the right decision. Towing was not quite as easy as the PUP and gas mileage dropped a little, but when we got to our site the setup was so simple and easy and being able to walk in and everything already in place sealed the deal for me (and the DW). Tear down was just as easy and so quick I was grinning from ear to ear.

Do I miss my PUP? You betcha!
    Do I hate having a Payment? Yes I do!!
    Would I do it again? IN A HEART BEAT!!!!

Just my [2C]

4. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

You know I think the thing about going to these shows is everyone's intention to "Just Look" But some thing happens and you find one you like and the prices seems really good. I think its because it seems easier to just go to a show and just look then it is to a actual dealer and look. But all in all. Its like a car dealer ship. LOL!

I was born in Grand Rapids but have lived in Florida all my life. My Mom had me while on vacation there. LOL!

Good Luck on your just looking. What are you in the market for?

Sharon

5. bccamper

bccamper Member

IF we get something different, we would be getting a hybrid. We really love the Roo's with the 3 beds.

If we find it, believe me, the temptation will be there [LOL]

6. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Pup-N-Stuff

Thanks for your comment.

I did get the card and sales persons name. And they have our name and number. And this dealer is also around the corner. Man, we have like 10 in our area. They were just bought out by camping world. Yuck!

I can see where a TT will be easier on us. This was the main reason we sold our totally renovated pup we loved so much. I really miss it but every time I look at a pup I just reminds me how much work it was. On our last trip with it, while setting up. We both looked at each other and said, this is the last trip and sold it as soon as we got back. So going to a HTT was the thought of easier set up as the beds just lay down. No supports or anything.

So I guess we were already half way there with the TT shape. I just have to get used to the fact it don't sleep many. And the size. I guess 25 feet isnt really that big. Right?

We have thought long and hard about buying new or used and yeah I hate to have payments. But in the long run, the price of used ones are crazy even in the winter. For a few thousand more you can have a brand new one with warranty's and stuff (lower interest, Longer finance time, Lower Insurance cost as well with a new one) . I have a feeling if we bought a used one we would end up trading in a couple years for a new one. So just taking out that step.

Will be interesting to see where we end up in a couple months.

Sharon

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If it works to get you camping again, that's a good thing. With my back and other issues, I know the day may come when we'll need to move to a TT. I doubt we will go to a HTT, partly since we'd likely only make one change. DH is just getting accustomed to the pup.
    We went to the RV and travel show a couple of weekends ago. We knew they probably wouldn't have the fiberglass type we think we're interested in, but it was fun to look anyway.
    We did learn that for the moment, the pup we have fits our needs better than at least 90-95% of the things at the show. There were a couple of retro-style TTs that were cute, but claustrophobic and too small for DH.

8. CANTget RIGHT

CANTget RIGHT New Member

its all good jus keep camping . [HY]

9. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

As a side note on the dealers, General RV is HUGE! In something like 10 states and I know we have at least 4 General RV dealers in SE Michigan alone. They can give good prices on the units but the sales staff has a very high turnover rate (here anyway) and are more concerned about making their numbers then if you can even pull the unit they sell you. I have bought from General RV and have had some service work done and was treated fairly at that dealership. ( But I went in with the money, knowing exactly what we wanted and what we were willing to pay.)

10. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

You know, I tend to check out everything when Im interested in something. So on Monday, I did a search "General RV reviews" and yeah, they dont have a great rep so I was put off by that. I was excited to have a new place in town really close to me that was not related to Camping world, But oh well.

Im all about "Word of Mouth and Reviews" And if your seeing a lot of bad press on the net. Then I feel I should pay attention to that. And I got from the reviews pretty much what your saying as well.

One thing that kept bothering me working with the guy from General RV on the Tracer was he kept saying "Im not a pushy sales rep" well, when you keep saying it, "Yeah, you are a pushy sales rep" And I don't like that at all.

Sharon

11. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

I almost bought the prime time tracer 250air (27.5') at a show last weekend lol. Completely fell in love with it. The show was put on by General RV and I actually dealt with the same salesman that sold me my Centennial. There is a bigger show coming in February and we're pretty sure if they have the 250air for the same show price we will most likely buy it!!!!

[​IMG]

12. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

When we went to look at the HTT we bought, we found out the dealer was also a Airstream dealer. Good thing I didn't have an extra $125k just burning a hole in my pocket :) Who knows what might have happened. For the record we are very happy with our HTT. We really like that there is not a bed taking up a third of the trailer, we don't mind the extra set up and take down exercises and we love sleeping under the canvas. It is the perfect style of camping for us at this time in our lives.

13. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

My wife keep talking about buying a drive camper but I would like to go with a hard side with the bed that fold out form the end and sides.

14. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Good Luck on the camper you purchase Sharon! I did not know Bates was not there anymore. Are there any other dealer changes in the area?

15. campermom

campermom Member

If Bates RV is the airstream dealer that was off of I4. Here is my [2C]. They are were purchased by the company that owns Orlando RV. BEWARE!!!! I purchased my PUP from Orlando RV and the after sale service was TERRIBLE!!!!!! Now maybe if you purchase a new unit things might be different BUT that should not make a difference in my opinion. If it was not for this site and some amazing campers at the first few campgrounds we went to I would have been back to my tent as the electrical system needed work (like, thanks to the master electrician who felt sorry for us and for the price of parts and dinner he basically rewired all the outlets) and the LP hoses were bad (that was trip two and thanks to a nice old gentleman from Massachusetts who again for parts and dinner fixed that) . AND they told me they inspected the unit and all was working and I would have no problems. YES I did attempt to contact them and I told them of my concerns AND I followed up all the way up the chain!!! All I ever got was an excuse that they were very busy and sorry for my trouble. OH and if I ever want to purchase a new unit to keep them in mind. Again just my [2C]

16. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

My [2C]

Back in Sep/Oct 12 when I was looking for a new HTT, I emailed or talked with lots of dealers all over the country. GeneraL RV was exceptionally annoying for a couple of reasons.

The "Coleman" TT's are made by Dutchmen Mfg and are "new" for a lack of a better term. They cut way back for a couple of years on those, possibly due to Camping World almost being the exclusive dealer for them. Dutchmen however builds a good trailer.

I am not sold on the change to darker exteriors and black trims. Sure they look sharp as can be but get them out in the sun, then compare the difference in interior temps between them and a white trailer. I have two close friends who have had multiple trailers ,and they both hate their new ones that are the gray/black color.

17. Loraura

Loraura New Member

I wouldn't freak out about the "biggness" of the TT. When we started looking to upgrade from a PUP i thought the same thing, like OMG these are HUGE!!! Especially when I got up on a ladder to check out the roof of one. It felt like a behemouth!

The hybrid's feel just as big when you look in the rear view mirror and realize that it's useless! But 3 or 4 trips later, you won't think a thing of it. You learn to use your side mirrors and just double check before changing lanes. You watch the tires in the side mirrors for backing up. I found a longer trailer to be actually much EASIER to back in. It's not so quick to overcorrect.

We have a hybrid now, but we only very rarely put the second bunk down, and have turtled in it quite well. I could definitely see us going to a TT in the next 5-6 years. If I ever find just the right deal on an Airstream, I'm a goner.

Right now my husband and I are 41 and 33. We're young and have no trouble lifting the bed ends and pulling out the awning. But when we get older, I would not hesitate to get a TT with all the power widgets!

I already love the fact that the microwave and television are always ready to go and don't require unpacking and repacking. I love the huge fridge with freezer. Our storage facility is near our grocery store, so the day before trips I go get what we need and take it right to the trailer, turn on the fridge, load up the food, and i'm done! Not sure why, but my HTT fridge cools down MUCH MUCH faster than my PUP fridge ever did.

Once you are pulling a barn door down a highway, how LONG the trailer is really doesn't make that much of a difference. Gas stations might seem tricky at first, but once you get used to your TV+TT combo,you'll know what you can work with and pick stations/pumps that have plenty of room. You'll see 40 ft 5ers doing just fine... you will too.

Do it! You'll love it!

18. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

Or RV show was last weekend, only 2 pups at the show [:!]. T-Bird fell in love with the Roo 23IKSS. That really had it all! We also looked at when camping alone (no kids) we could leave the rear bunk in the folded position, to keep in the temps whether it be warm or cold. But so far we haven't bit the bullet on it [PUT]

19. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Yes, the very Same dealer. We have stayed away from Bates as we have heard they very expensive on every thing because they carry airstreams. They were bought out by Tampa RV which is owned by RV one and Orlando RV is also with RV one as well.

I did a search on Orlando RV and didnt find much on them. And they have a big variety of units. Also we are checking out Dustys camper world in bartow, Also owned by Camping world now.

General RV is building a super center in Forbs and I4 Opening in October. They dont get good reviews.

Also. Longview RV across from Bates is now owned by Camping world. And get this. Remember the Camping world store that was at Lazydays RV down the street. Well, they closed that store and moved it to Longview. So now its Camping World store and RV.

Okay, so I really am afraid of going to a RV dealer. You really have to know what your getting into before you go and start working with them.

Sharon

20. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

one thing most are not saying ,, and any truck driver will tell you Generally a larger trailer is easier to back up as they react slower which makes it easier to control.

On that matter a 5th wheel is generally easier to back than the bumper pull due to the fact of the location of the pivot point