What is My Husband Thinking? We are going to the Dark Side???

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Sharon, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

That is sweet looking. And yep, pretty close to the 235Air. My hubby is so in love with the color of the out side. He hates the white ones. The coleman is also brown. LOL!

I have the Tracer book here with me. And it says that 250Air is 28.11 feet. and 10.8 high.
    My question is. Is that noted feet 28.11 is that the size of the trailer box or box and tongue?

we did notice these units sit high off the ground.

Sharon

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Normally the length is that of the box and doesn't include the tongue ... General rule of thumb is add an extra 4ft to cover tongue length, this is just an average and will vary from unit to unit... On our TT the tongue length is 4.25 ft .. the pup had a tongue length of 3.5ft ...

3. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

4. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Ah, see! I knew that is how it worked. When I asked the dealer if that noted foot of the 235Air (26.5 feet) was the box or box and tongue. He told me "No, the trailer box is 23 and the tongue is 3.5 making total 26.5 . But while hubby and I were sitting at the table next to it waiting for him to come back with the papers. Another couple were looking at the same unit and asked is this in our 25 feet budget, He said no, This one is 26.5 plus the tongue. I told hubby, I will fix this next time, I will just bring my measuring tape and check myself.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Just went looking at Primetime's website and noticed they tend to use "LOA" for the length... Length Over all ... so it very well could include the tongue, which would make it a small box in my opinion ... About the same as our Outback 21RS in travel mode ...

6. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Good to know. I need to bring my measuring tape for sure for my own knowledge. And that is a nice unit. We have looked at it before. Hubby is very picky, he didn't like the bed sliding in. Also he refuses to even consider at Hi Lo. Jeez!

Sharon

7. Nixie

Nixie New Member

Length of camper DOES matter, but 25ft of camper isn't that much of camper. You will have to be much more aware of where you pull in for gas and food breaks. You will have to look and plan around "low clearance" underpasses. My biggest thing on any camper, besides layout, is actually look at the quality of the build. How solid does the floor feels? How do the cabinets and drawers feel? Does the wall panels over lap where they are joined? (Helps keep water from getting in there and splitting open seams). Is the roof edge curved over the side slightly to help with water run off? Is the roof curved or flat? Is the roof walkable? What size are the tanks? Is the underbelly enclosed? Is it a 3 season or 4 seasons trailer? Do they do warranty service right there or will you have to take it somewhere else? What rating of insulation do the walls have? Is it aluminum or wood framed? (Aluminum is better) These are all things that should be looked into before purchase.

8. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Thanks for all these tips. And yes, I do remember asking a lot of these things but cant remember on which camper they were on. So I think I will type up a Excel sheet with check boxes and start my list so I can do more research. Knowing these things are very helpful to everyone. Thank you for posting the reminder to check these things.

Sharon

9. TCon

TCon New Member

Sharon and others members I just want to share a few things with you from our recent experiences,,,1st is a lot of those show prices are so over inflated,do a google search on the units you are interested in,you may be quite surprised what you find,We also almost pulled the trigger on a tt at the Tampa show last weekend,came home and found the same unit in Pa for 5000 less before negotiating,I understand there will be higher freight charges from the factory to Tampa vs Pa but 5 grand is a big markup,,,and this was after we negotiated over 10 grand off the supposed msrp..Im just glad we walked away and did some research.I ll gladly make a trip up north to save several thousand dollars.2ND BEWARE OF ORLANDO RV OR RV ONE or rv direct AND NOW TAMPA RV................I personally will never do buisness with those people again...We purchased a new pup from them back in Nov of 2012 based on they offered the best price we could find within the state of fla.To make a long story short after having to pay up front up weeks prior to receiving the unit because we were paying cash and not financing ,when we arrived to pick up unit after a supposedly 3 day prep,the unit had over 12 issues from holes in the canvas to broken electrical outlet to wet mattresses,Turns out they were trying to pawn off the abused displayed unit they had on the lot instead of the brand new one that we agreed on, parked in a lot across the street.After we realized they switched the units I WAS READY TO WALK,,but they had my payment in full...So after a big to do with one of the owners they agreed to switch the unit, but would take 3 more days to prep.So upon our return we expected a thorough walk through which was very spotty at best...The poor walk through guy was being pulled away from us from his boss to service another customer who was purchasing a class a..We were basically kicked to the curb,and our sales man was hiding from us the day of pick up,He knew exactly what went down and was to embarrassed to face us..... After standing around several hours hoping to get a complete walk though we just hooked up the pup and left......Thank god Forest River has a great warranty dept as I had to get several parts from them to make the unit like new....Sorry this is so long but the story needs to go out about this place......

10. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Thanks for you comment. It helps all to have stuff like this out there.

Im so worried about going to a dealer and getting royally screwed because of this exact same stuff.

Hubby just walked in from work, and Im in the process of looking of this coleman at Dustys that had it at the show. And they finally have it up on their site, but it is NOT the same unit we looked at. And Im telling my hubby, that the one at the show with was totally loaded to the hilt. And with that price on it. I would bet they would do some kind of switch at the lot to either give us a close model with out all the option or would tell us, that price was for a lesser option model and we would have to pay for all those options. This just makes me crazy scared I tell you.

Im willing to drive to pick up if there is a know "Honest" dealership out there.

Sharon

11. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Sharon, I went to that Dusty's Camping World site. Is that the correct one? The CTU194QB COleman at tha sale price of $29,999, marked down from $32,725. They're kidding? Actually they're nuts. No way is one of those worth that, even if they are saying that 30K is MSRP which its not. At that MSRP I wouldn't pay a dime over $21800 maybe but that's too much also, the 30K is inflated.

The CTU194 is a Kodiak 221RBSL with a reversed bath vanity, 8 gal more water capacity if the dealer even lists it correct. The Colemans have always been a rebrand from another Dutchmen made unit. Back when I had my Aerolite 185E HTT Coleman also had the CTE184 HTT. Same exact camper, different decals, interior fabric colors, and the Coleman typically 3K more just for the name. Believe me you pay for the name and all you get is the name. Nothing made any better.

All of that said

http://www.walnutridgerv.com/product/47cts5l24ek176402/
    http://www.arbogastrvs.com/new/Dutchmen/2014-Dutchmen-Kodiak-396b6a380a0a000268af56fb75e78259.htm
    http://www.ballantynerv.com/rv/victor+ny/dutchmen+traveltrailer/253/dutchmen+kodiak+221rbsl

Out the door on the Coleman after haggling, 20K Max I'd say. You can get one for that if your willing to look around and go a distance.

12. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

That one they have listed is NOT THE SAME one we looked at and yes, they are totally nuts. We do not plan to pay that much no way no how.

And hubby and I are sitting here right now looking up different dealers in the area with the same camper and all of them are listed different price.

So Im more convinced now that the show price of $17900 is a bait and switch price. Meaning I bet they get you to buy it at that price for the BASE model and then charge you for all the up grades that that camper had. Am I right on this?

I am looking for a comparable model so thank you for posting the Kodiak. I'm off to check it out.

This is why I posted what happened that day. So I could get some input on stuff like this. I knew something didnt feel right about it.

Sharon

13. Old_Geezer

$17,900 would be a good price.

Usually options are only options in name only. They build them all the same with the same components. You would need to order a stripped one special, not the other way around.

14. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

The show we went to they had the prime time 250 at a show price of 19k. They had 14 of them ready to go with all them same options as the "show" one. The price even included the propane tanks, batteries and the television.

15. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

The one we actually seen at the show had every available option. So those we are seeing online are no where close and the prices are higher for less options. So Im just not sure what to think about the price they gave me at the show. That is a great price and I would be willing to pay that.

I might need to do some calling and see if they have that one and would match the show price. Who knows.

Okay, that sounds right inline with the 235 we looked at, it was listed at $19K with every thing.

There is a show in Ocala in two weeks, none of our local dealers will be there. So it might be worth the hour drive to check it out. And get a feel for the pricing and dealer ships as well.

Sharon

16. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Just a thought....You may want to ask around or ask the dealer what he can get you a 2013 year in the same model. A lot of Stealers.....I mean dealers still have brand new 2013's on their lots that they need to move and will make GREAT deals to do it. We bought ours in September and the 2014 models were already arriving. We got our 2013 at 40% off MSRP and the Factory added an extra Year warranty. I see the same Dealer we purchased from still has some 2013 year models left on his lot and is making some unbelievable deals on them.
    The only thing different on our 2013 and the new 2014 was the decals were a different color combination. Inside was exactly the same. For 7K difference they could have left the decals completely off and I would have put my own on it!!!

Just my [2C]

17. Old_Geezer

Just because online they are not showing every "option" on websites does not mean they do not have them.

The way things are built now is most options are "mandatory" options. It saves costs on the production line. There are only so many things you can add to a trailer. Now if the dealer hinself is tacking crap on there and calling it options thats a different story.

Typically they roll out of the factories in Indiana the same.

18. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Great Idea! I will do some checking. And by the way, The Kodiak is the same model minus the out side kitchen witch we really dont need and didnt even notice will we seen it in the pictures on line. LOL !

Sharon

19. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

++++on what Old_Geezer said. Most Campers TT's PUPs are cookie cutter manufactured. It would be a "SPECIAL ORDER" to get something different.
    And yes, dealers will try to tack on all kinds of additional cost to make more.

Shipping....most dealers do not pay shipping on their units when they order in quantity. If they order 5 or more (depending on what the agreement # is with the Manufacture) They are shipped FREE!!!! Single unit orders they pay shipping.

Prep: Dealers will try to add a Prep charge when basically all they do is hook up power and water and make sure A/C works and no visible leaks.

Processing and Handling fee: Some not all, will try to throw that one in there too. Check your buyers agreement line by line before you sign.
    Request a written break down of cost, NOT just an OUT THE DOOR Price.

If a dealer shows you his invoice, don't get excited, even though this is an original, factory invoice, it is not the dealers actual cost because he does not tell you how much the Manufacture rebates him on every unit.

Almost 100% of any add on fees not including Sales Tax, registration, tags, are pure profit for the dealer.

This Business is no different than the Automobile Business, You need to be Smart, careful, and don't be afraid to walk away if they try to Hard sell you. They control you when the desire in your eye blinds you, but if you control the desire (and your MONEY) then you find yourself in charge not them.

I have NO problem with a Dealer making a profit, he has to in order to stay in business, but sometimes a half a loaf is better than none.

Again just my [2C]

20. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

When looking for TTs, realize that some units, like some (all?) Colemans, have aluminum studs, not wood.