What is My Husband Thinking? We are going to the Dark Side???

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Sharon, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Yes, we do ask that and like aluminum so wont have wood rot.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

2. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Typically a fiberglass laminated trailer has aluminum "studs", a trailer sided with either aluminum or fiberglass panels installed horizontally have wood studs.

[​IMG]
    Aluminum Framing

The new Dutchmen / Colemans have 3 lines. The Expedition LT and Conventional are wood framed, the Explorer is aluminum framed.

You can / could get a trailer with aluminum framed laminated walls and a wood framed roof. Jayco was doing that on some models a couple of years ago.

I agree with not paying much attention to dealer invoices, they can be printed by the dealer to say whatever they want.

[​IMG]
    Wood Framing.

3. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Okay, so does it really matter which we get. Either a fiberglass with aluminum studs or Aluminum outside with wood studs.

At first we liked the aluminum outside, but then did some reading and it said that the aluminum dings easier from hail and rocks. We do have a lot of hail here in Florida. And it said that the Aluminum is harder to keep clean. I know my neighbor has one and man, it looks bad if he dont get out there and clean it often.

The fiberglass outside says, its harder and resist dings from Hail and Rocks and its easier to clean and as long as you wash and wax it a couple times a year. The clear coat wont chalk.

We are considering both outsides as we are looking for comparable models.

Sharon

4. Nixie

Nixie New Member

Personally, I would go with Fiberglass outside and aluminum framing. I do think it is a lot less upkeep. The fiberglass campers seem to "age" better than their aluminum sided counterparts because they don't get the dings and scratches. The one downside is if you get a leak that causes delamination, it is very expensive to fix. (This is why seal maintenance is so important). You are right about the hail damage and metal sided campers. Also, many times metal sided campers are "entry level" campers which mean they are an inferior build to their fiberglass counterparts. They don't contain as many of the extras as their "mid level" counterparts. This isn't always true, but more times than not it is. With that said, there is nothing wrong with a entry level. If you are taking this camper to just camp in on the weekends during the summer, a entry level camper would be just fine for that. If you are expecting to take the camper and sit it on a seasonal lot or take it full timing across the country, than an entry level camper would not be a good fit. This is one of those times where you wanna review exactly what you are going to do with the camper and what you expect out of the camper. Hope that makes sense?!

5. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Yes, all that makes total sense. We really like this floor plan of the Coleman 194QB. Because of the walk around bed. (No climbing over any one to get out) and love the U shaped dinnett on the slide. (More space for eating and bigger bed for guest) These things feel more like home to us. We tend to camp for 1-2 weeks at a time. So looking for the most comfort and think this fits the bill for long time use.

I have been searching the net all day and have found about 6 models now close to the Coleman. Some have the entertainment center some don't, Some have the outdoor kitchen some don't. Both of these there are NOT deal breakers. And some are Fiberglass and some are Aluminum.

So all in all. We are pretty set on this floor plan. So it all comes down to the best prices we can get on one will be the one we go with. Checking 2013 and 2014 models. Not much difference in price. Its really looking more like our area is the most expensive so we will do some driving in a week or two and check some out a little farther from home.

Sharon

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I would choose the aluminum/fiberglass trailers because they are usually the higher-end and are better built. Hail will wreak havoc on fibreglass, too.

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I too feel the strong pull of the TT. When I go to shows (nothing like described here) I begin in the 5th wheels, then to the TT and finally look at the PUPs, which fit my wallet better for now. I like our PUP, and it tows so easily, but I like NOT having to pop up to get in/out and I truly like a dedicated bed and dedicated overhead storage a TT provides.

I think you'll be happy either way you go.

8. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

I agree with you on this. We looked at a few of the higher end models but they were too for out of our price range. They were the same layout and size but were dressed up a lot better. I am satisfied with the quality and feel that taken care of with good maintenance it will last us and serve us well without putting us in an uncomfortable payment situation.
    My DW started redecorating the same day we brought it home and within 2 days and a few dollars it looked as good as the more expensive units we looked at, maybe better because she put her personal touches that made it feel like home.

The aluminum/fiberglass is really the best way to go if can swing the xtra bucks to do it. We couldn't or wouldn't. I do hope we don't regret it down the road.

We had a 1976 Terry TT back in the day and when we sold it back in 1982 it was still in excellent condition. The Older Couple we sold it to were neighbors and knew the way I took care of it. He did the same since he has had it, and if you see it today it still looks almost new. He has only had two problems with it, one was a busted water line under the camper and the other was the Hot water heater which he just replaced last year. And they use it a LOT!!! They camp weeks sometimes months at a time, which I hope to be able to do someday.

Terry was not considered a Top of the line camper back then but was not bad. The secret I believe is GOOD MAINTENANCE....you take care of it and it will take care of you

9. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

When we got our Jayco X213, it was the right TT for us, we do a lot of weekend trips and did not want to haul a large rig. Ours does have the Fiberglas/aluminum frame construction and rubber EDPM roof with the bed slide out. Good luck with your decision.

10. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

This is the first "Super Show" we have been to. There were over 1200 units there and over 50K people attended the 5 day event. They even set up a portable campground so you could stay a few days and visit the show. We were only able to go the last day, So didnt get to see all the planed events and demonstrations and stuff. But did get to walk though the actual Camping world store that was set up. I think it was bigger then the actual store. LOL!

I loved our pup and really miss it. And every time we start looking on line or at one of these shows. We are drawn to check out the pups but man, then we are hit with the memories of all the work the pup was for us. We considered getting one with a power roof lift but really that wouldn't change much with the pulling out the beds, climbing under them to put the supports in, setting up the kitchen and dinning table, and pulling out the awning. With all our medical issues, Every day is a struggle so going camping is our release. So that needs to be as stress free as possible.

sharon

11. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I totally agree with the taking care of it and it will take care of you. I just had this conversation with my son about his truck. He drives 150 miles a day round trip. And is living paycheck to paycheck because of the gas. And has no money to put in to his truck. And had 2 tires blow out on Hwy 75 and had 4 plugs in the other. So for his Birthday and Christmas gift (Both in Dec.) His gift was a over haul on his truck. 4 new tires, balance, alignment, oil change and filter. New spark plugs and wires, 2 new air filter and fixed his exhaust. Cost us about $1200 and we told him. We still have our 1995 ford F150 and do you think we have had this from day one in 1994 because we didnt love it. You have to love your truck for it to love you back.

We have a tendancy to keep things a long time and you can only do that if you love them and maintain them. It really bugs us that our neighbor 2 house down does not take care of his camper. He just bought it new 2 years ago and it looks 10 years old. Drives me nuts.

Im hoping when we get ours and he sees up out there washing and waxing ours he will do the same. It seems to work on the yard work. When we mow all 4 neighbors mow the same day. LOL!

Sharon

12. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

We looked at this unit and my hubby dont like the slid out bed on it.

So yours is 24 feet. The coleman we are looking at is 25.7 feet. I do not want to go bigger then that. I have been searching and find that if we change the dinette to a booth, we can get the same floor plan with the bed and kitchen, but in a 21 foot camper. I just have to convince hubby to go with the booth, He thinks they are to small but im seeing they do make them different sizes. So who knows.

Sharon

13. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I have a question?

I got the hubby talked in to a smaller Travel Trailer and we found several models with floor plans that will work.

Now looking at COACHMEN FREEDOM EXPRESS 192RBS and similar models. These are 22.5 from bumper to hitch.

Problem is, I found 3 at dealer around the corner, I called them and the 2013 on the lot has sold, and both of the 2014 incoming are also sold. I need to see this in person. So I found a few others that are at dealers about hour away from me. Good thing is, those dealers will be at the Ocala RV show this weekend. About hour and half away. So we have decided to go and check them all out at one time instead of driving to all of them.

So my question is. If we do buy one that is far away, and it needs service down the road do I have to take it back to the dealer I bought it from or can warranty work be done at any dealer. Need to know before we decided to buy one.

Thanks, Sharon

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Buying new, you should be able to take it to any authorized dealer for warranty work.. Buying used, IF (and that is a BIG IF) you get any warranty it will have to go back to the selling dealer.

All that said, buying new from a dealer and returning to that dealer for service and warranty work, helps build a bond with that dealer for any future purchases or service questions.

The dealer we bought or used TT from is 2 hours away, we actually decided to buy from them based on three reasons. First one being the amount of good feedback we received from others who had bought,serviced,sold and bought again from the dealer. Second reason was this dealer is one of a few that offers any sort of warranty on used rigs 10 years or newer, at the time it was 2 years full warranty. The third reason is the people who owned our TT before (I know them through another caming site) traded the TT in at that dealer, so I knew how the previous owner had cared for the trailer prior to even seeing it..

15. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Okay thanks. As far as I'm seeing none of the dealers around us have good reviews so looking out side our area and also seem cheaper as well.

I printed out the models we like at each dealer that will be at this show so I can tell if the price is truly a good show price. Will see what happens Saturday.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

16. Old_Geezer

The answer is yes.....possibly. To my knowledge dealers do not have any requirement from MOST of the manufacturers that they MUST provide warranty service if they did not sell the unit. Most manufacturers have a disclaimer to that effect buried on their websites on in the brochures and manuals. Its not set up like GM or Ford.

17. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Sharon, I looked up the COACHMEN FREEDOM EXPRESS 192RBS. Very nice!! The weight is good too for a Camper with those features. The slide makes it feel a lot bigger than it is and gives you more sleeping areas for guest.

18. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Thanks, I will do some reading up on the warranty stuff and see what I can find on this. That would be a big bummer if we had to take it back to leesburg or Ocala. We have family in both places and try and stay away from that area as much as we can. LOL! Sorry,But true!

Yeah, its pretty good all the way around, as for the small size and the weight. We figured we needed the slide since it is smaller just for the bigger feel of the inside. A few other models with this same floor plan and size are.

Cruiser Shadow Cruiser S-195WBS Travel Trailer. I like the bigger bathroom in this one.

Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S. I like the U shaped dinette on this one. And this one is 21.8 feet. But not much limit for cargo on this one. only 943 lbs.
    http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers/MiniLite/default.aspx?page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=2942

There are a few others as well. So lots of options in this size. So I think with the warranty being a questionable issue. We will pass up the RV show and just keep looking in our area or maybe south, LOL!

Sharon

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sharon, a fellow campering friend contacted me through another site as he isn't a member here, but does lurk and read things.. He asked to pass along a link to his 2014 Freedom Express 192RBS pictures.... AFAIK these days it is mostly just him and his wife camping as the kids are older, working, going to school and don't camp as much.. He says so far this trailer is everything they hoped it would be and works great as a couples camper ...

https://picasaweb.google.com/114965508600034918003/2014FreedomExpress192RBS

If you check out the rest of his pictures you'll find a lot of other useful mod's and things as well, I have quite often used his pictures here to show different things..

20. Old_Geezer

If you go to the Coachmen site and download the Freedom Express Brochure you'll find the info regarding local dealers on the last page.

If the local Coachmen dealers get bad reviews, you more than likely would not want to take the unit to them if warranty work is needed anyway?