what is the advantage of nitrogen in tires?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by B.T.Brews, Aug 6, 2015.

1. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

My new camper has nitrogen in the tires and they used it as a selling point, however that was not what pushed me over the edge into buying the camper. My question is, what advantage is it to have nitrogen and is there any disadvantage?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I already have 80% nitrogen in my tires. (air)
    It's a gimmick, it serves no real purpose for everyday use.

3. gruss

gruss Active Member

No disadvantages, I'm skeptical of advantages claimed since if you use a tire pump at your house the tires will be filled with 78% nitrogen anyway.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

disadvantage to me is not being able to properly fill tires COLD, in the morning before traveling a few inches, feet or miles!

"Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=191

5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

The advantage is that they leak less and the pressure stays more consistent when temperature changes (from season to season or when getting hot from running 3 hours).

Nice to have as it is a little better but I wouldn't pay for it to top them off when the pressure does drop.

An analogy of similarity would be paying for the high dollar bottled water and comparing the taste to the generic. There's probably a difference but not one worth paying for.

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

The advantage is the manufacturer and dealer can blow a lot of smoke, or nitrogen, up your you know what and tell you you're getting something special...........................you're not.

7. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

Can you top them off with regular compressed air if the pressure gets low?

8. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

The claim is more stable pressure between hot/cold tire and less leakage as nitrogen molecules are larger... but for the most part it is a minor issue..... I only do it as Costco does it for free at their tire centers, not sure if any other tire dealers do it. IMHO i wouldn't worry about it much like mentioned above a better tire gauge to get accurate inflation on BOTH the pup and TV would be a better use of time and yield better results as well in terms of milage and tire wear.

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

You can. Doesn't that defeat the smoke blowing purpose?

10. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Nitrogen in your tires was probably created by the same marketing genius that created pet rocks and mood rings.

Can you imagine when someone first suggested bottled water? [?:~{]

Why pay money to buy a bottle of something in the store, you can turn on your faucet in your own home to get? What's next....a spray to put on your firewood that's guaranteed to make it smell....like a campfire. [LOL]

11. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Yes without a problem.

12. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

Wife and I just purchased a new Nissan. Nitrogen filled tires with free nitrogen for as long as we own the car. The only advantage is tires hold inflation longer but not enough to make a difference. This could be a plus for a camper that sits for long periods without being used. I often wonder about campers who have numerous blowouts, are their tires inflated properly before they head out. For those who seldom check their tires and there are plenty of those on the road this may be an advantage. When my wife told her sister that the tires were inflated with nitrogen she said "Our car came with nitrogen filled tires but I didn't feel safe with nitrogen in the tires",DUH!

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Toyota has it in all tires on the vehicles they sell, Wife has it on her Tacoma, Only difference I can see is the tires do not lose pressure.
    My Ford just uses air and I check it and the PUP before a trip, The PUP sits most of the time and I usually need to out a few plound in before a trip..

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Those with Nitrogen in tires, less need of checking tire pressure. those without, more checking on tire pressures and pump air in ...

15. Bama Camper1

Bama Camper1 New Member

We use it in aircraft tires , less moisture and more stable at altitude. Waste of money in car tires...........

16. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

You do usually get some pretty green valve stem caps that are worth about [2C] ea.

17. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

^^^^^^^^
    [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

18. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

I ran a liquid oxygen plant in USAF. Made liquid and gaseous oxygen and nitrogen. Nitrogen for car tires is 100% gimmick. Liquid oxygen and nitrogen makes awesome ice! We charged a case of beer for a trash can of ice.

1999 Palomino Pinto
    2001 Nissan Frontier
    via Tapatalk

19. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

But! But! What if I wanna take my pup to the top of Mt. Rainier!? THEN will the nitrogen help me out!? [LOL]

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I don't suppose one would use the tires much while in the air.