What is the favorite part of your trip?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Larry NC, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Larry NC

Larry NC Life is Camping, the rest is waiting

When we go away for a trip, I enjpy the planning, making reservations, driving, setting up, cooking, games, exploring, even tearing down camp and the drive home.

I don't like packing and un-packing the vehicles.

So, I like 95% of the experience, what is your favorite part?

2. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

My favorite part is waking up, under canvas, before the rest of the family has stirred, & thinking "all is right with the world." :)

3. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

Our favourite part is after setup. That first cup of tea & then sit back.

4. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

My favorite part is early morning. Love the cool morning air, the smell of the perking coffee and to sit watching the wildlife and all the fresh morning smells.

5. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

I actually have two that are close:
    That moment when everything is set up and I can kick back and have a cold one enjoying the scenery.
    [​IMG]
    Or the quiet time in morning having my first cup of coffee and watching the mist clear and the sunrise.
    [​IMG]

6. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

My favorite part is waking up in the camper the first morning.

7. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot New Member

Top 3:
    1. Hanging out around the campfire roasting marshmellows and c
    roasting yummy hotdogs.
    2. Water activities like swimming in a cold mountain river on a hot day trying to get to the big rock in the middle, or fishing with kids who are so excited about it.
    3. Working hard setting up camp and then completely relaxing for a bit. Even 5 minutes and watching the kids have fun.

(and #4 I love early early (weeks/months before) tinkering on the pup or camping gear knowing that 1 hour saved while camping is worth about 1 week of time during regular working days in terms of good family time)

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I agree making the reservations and packing is part of the excitement! With that said the drive there and setting up is fun, but being able to sit back, relax and cook dinner is great! I also love waking up in the morning before everyone else and get that pot of coffee going, love that smell! [:D]

9. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

My favorite part of the trip is when I smell the fires, hear all the kids laughing and running around without any fear of the mean world outside the campground. When I go outside my pup and see my friends from the portal all standing around clowning around or all sitting down to the potluck it really makes me appreciate the simple things and for that time we are all together. To have the opportunity to go somewhere and have such a great time with great friends is truly a great thing. So I guess all of it is my favorite part of the trip and I am sad when its time to go.

10. hanson1522

hanson1522 Belleville, IL

I too am not a fan of the packing. Also not a fan of the unpacking when we get home. Not really into the whole dish washing thing after meals either. Cooking I like, eating I like...cleaning up? Not so much. [:D]

My most favorite time is early in the morning. I like to go sit out next to the fire ring with hot cup of coffee and listen to the world wake up. I also enjoy poking at the fire and watching the coals of the fire dance late at night. Afternoon naps in the bunk end with the flaps down and the breeze blowing are also high on the list of parts of camping I love.

11. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

Like any vacation, a huge part of the excitement for me is the packing.....and re-packing.....and re-packing again!!

Beyond that, my favorite thing would be mornings at the CG, first one up with a hot cup of coffee in hand, sitting around a little campfire and as busdriverwc75 says...feeling "all is right with the world"!

Otherwise, almost everything about camping is my "favorite".....crawling into my bed and snuggling in, cooking, eating, rainy days that force you to stay inside and get creative, exploring the nearby town, bonfires at night, watching my family and friends enjoy the experience.

Least favorite thing? Tear down and departure. Yuck.

12. CANTget RIGHT

CANTget RIGHT New Member

my favorite part is always in morning watching sun come up with camp fire going and starting that hugh breakfast we make like sitting all quiet seeing wildlife moving around

13. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

It is easier to say what I dislike about camping and that would be the waitng to go. My very favorite part is in the evening, the campfire is blazing and everyone, including the kids, have the look of pure joy and comfort on their faces. It seems that as a family we become complete during those times of simple uncomplicated enjoyment.

Oh and don't forget the smores part. :]

14. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

The mixed aroma of composting leaves, wood smoke and sausage cooking in a skillet on the fire.

15. quiltcamper

quiltcamper New Member

Mine is being the only one up, drinking my coffee, listening to & watching the wildlife. Morning is the most peaceful time of day!

My husband says leaving Memphis city limits!

16. Dman20002000

Dman20002000 New Member

I would have to say that the best part of the trip is making it to the destination. Knowing that the truck and trailer made it there with no problems. Secondly knowing that once you are there and the trailer is popped open you can sit back and crack the first cold one open and start the holiday. :)

17. mspontiac

mspontiac Member

Cooking breakfast in my PJ's when there is a little chill in the air and I can snuggle close to the warmth of the fire, smelling the coffee, and listening to the campground starting to wake up and stir, while watching how others do their morning routines so that I can get good camping ideas. :) Next is night time, when we pull up our chairs, listen to the wildlife starting to creep around in the forest, and sit quietly around the fire roasting hot dogs or just talking.

My less favorite? Washing the dishes, and trying to beat everyone to the icky bathouse showers, then getting out in the chilly morning air with a wet head. [:(O]

18. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Late at night with my scotch and a good cigar, sitting there in total blackness looking at the glory of the night sky -- something one just can't see in the cities anymore. Seen the Milky Way lately?

19. carisouth

carisouth Member

relaxing by the fire after everything is set up, fire is started and the kids have run off to find friends

20. TwoHappyCampers

TwoHappyCampers New Member

Favorite parts, in no particular order are:

early mornings with a hot cup of fresh coffee
    relaxing with a glass or wine or a cold beer after setting up
    relaxing around the campfire
    listening to the kids running around having a good time
    listening to the waves on the big lake (Michigan)
    walking the dog and looking at everyones camp sites (just being nosy)
    the chance meeting and talking with complete strangers (most campers are nice people)
    planning our trips

Least favorite parts:

the drive there, sometimes I get a little concerned about some drivers on the highway
    Unpacking when we get home