What is the right height of my 2002 Coleman Cheyenne

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Camper054, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

May be a silly question - but I will ask anyway!

So, we got a 2002 Cheyenne and the lift system works okay. When I crank it, it circles ones or twice and then I hear the clicks and I think it goes up 'smoothly'. Since I have not cranked any other camper before, I can't compare. But I think it is going up okay. There is no issue. And, at one point, I cannot crank any more, it kind of stops. I have not pushed the crank any more when it stops. I think this is how high it will go.

So, I have two questions - should I try to push the crank as much as it will go? I have not put enough strength (my torque) and I am not sure doing so will break/ruin the lift system. Basically, how do I know that I have reached the desired/correct height? (I would say one thing - I was reading another post where the owner cannot fit the door and need to raise the roof for another inch. I can fit / put my door okay - no issues there).

Secondly, for some other pop up camper models, I have seen that the metal / steel that raise the roof is braced with another metal/brace to provide additional support. But I have not seen something similar for Coleman models (at least the one I have and some others - from their pictures). I am thinking to get some additional support to put by the four braces, not sure if it is good idea or not. I just worry, do you think the roof can 'collapse'? And if it did, and if we are inside....not a pretty thing, right?

Like I said, it maybe a silly question, but wanted to ask anyway to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks as usual and in advance!
    MC

2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

If the tenting is relatively tight and the door fits, you're good. You don't need to keep cranking. On my Carmel, the P.O. Told me it took 60 revolutions, so I always counted.

The Coleman lift has 4 separate cables ( unlike other systems that have a main cable), it would be extremely unlikely that all 4 cables would fail at once, so Fleetwood/Coleman's don't have the lift supports that other "main cable" systems have. And with the one piece door in place, that roof isn't coming down. Ask the owners who've tried to lower the door with the door (accidentally) still in place.

I've got over 150 nights in two separate Coleman's and have never given it a second thought.

Camper054 likes this.
  3. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Thanks McFlyfi,

Now I can sleep in peace under my Coleman roof :). I think the PO did tell me how many revolutions it needs, which I forgot. I will ask him again!

Thanks so much!
    MC

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Is there a color cable on one of the corners? All of my Pups have had a green or orange plastic coated cable on one corner. This is height indicator cable. Once it it taut the roof is at the right height.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  5. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Good question, bheff. I have seen the color cables in the youtube videos when I searched for how to set up a pop up camper for some models. I believe they were Rockwood models (?). But mine is a Coleman and mine does not have any colored plastic cables. Thanks for asking!
    MC

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Nor will you find any height indicator cable on any Coleman / Fleetwood camper as it's totally unnecessary. Download this Lift System Repair Manual and on Page 48 you'll see that the measurement from the underside of the rubber roof seal to the body top rail should be 46" to 47" when the system is correctly adjusted.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0273/4347/files/DOC011818.pdf?14982018414419181682

Roof support braces are likewise unnecessary, particularly once the entry door is in place that roof can't fall.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

upper limit stop

8. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Wow, GreyFox! Thanks SO MUCH. This is vital information.

So, I happened to have the camper up - as we are getting ready for a trip this weekend. And, I just wen to take the measurements. I am a bit surprised and 'worried' as well. Maybe you all can comment. So, here are the measurements: Front left 45 1/4", front right 45", left rear 46", and left right is 45 1/2". So, does these sound okay? Or, should I try to push the crank a bit hard to push the roof bit higher? OR, do I now need to now adjust the individual pulleys to align the roof heights? I am totally newbie and did read some pulley adjustments, but they did not seem trivial to me. Please HELP and many thanks in advance!

MC

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

the stop stops you, adjust the cables/pulleys if you need to.

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Only one of those measurements meets spec. Refer to that lift system manual and you'll see there are 2 methods of lift system adjustment - coarse and fine.

11. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Thanks you all - yes, looks like I have to make some adjustments - perhaps after my 'first trip', this weekend.
    MC

12. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Are you measuring to the top of the gasket (bottom of roof), or are you measuring to the bottom of the gasket?

The “measurement A” on page 50 looks like it is to the top of the gasket.

13. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

I was wondering this - am I measuring it correctly? There is a textured hard plastic underneath the roof (sides) and there is a soft plastic, which I believe is the water seal between the roof and the body. The seal is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I measured to the low end of the soft plastic seal. But I think I need to measure to the top of the seal, bottom of the hard plastic, right? Please see the picture.

Thanks A LOT!
    MC

IMG_20190821_081640.jpg

14. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

On page 48, item 1, it say to measure to where the seal meets the roof (the space where the soft black meets the hard white...) — that would add the 1/2 - 3/4 to the measurements you already have.

I'm thinking you don't have anything to worry about. If the door fits and securely locks into place, you should be good.

15. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Thanks SHFL!

Yes, I wasn't sure the correct way to measure - so, thanks for correcting me. Yes, looks like I am within the range - just that front right is bit lower than the others. The door fits okay. So, I am also 'staying put'.

Best wishes to you, and all-
    MC