What is the scariest noise your pop up has ever made.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by MyName, Feb 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MyName

MyName Active Member

What noise did your pop up make and the story behind it. A bang, crack, crunch, rip or scream from someone/something inside. You get the idea.

stacey short likes this.
  2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

When our pup did a "wheelie" after we forgot to lower the rear stabs on our first trip out... Very loud bang! Even louder bang when I had to walk towards the front of the pup to bring down the tongue! Luckily no serious damage... Except for my pride.

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Scarier was the sound of my wife screaming from inside the camper as the tongue reached for the sky. [:O]

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The scariest sound. POP, Bang, ending with Clang. The 1990 Jayco camper was pulled into my parents drive way as their HOA allows campers up to a week there where as mine does not allow them at all. I had big trip planned in a couple weeks and wanted to air the camper out, clean it, and take care of a few minor repairs. My whole family was there and wanted to see all I have done to the old girl. As we all grew up with the camper when we were young. My brother trying to show off his stanima helped me raise the roof. I undid all the locks and my brother took over the control of the lift when I heard it. A loud POP sounded like a gunshot followed by a bang and to a clang finally vibration throughout the lift. You guessed it, a broken lift cable. Called around to a few shops and everyone said no, except for one who quoted me $2500 to fix. Nope, camper wasn’t even worth that. I gave the camper for free to my brother, figuring he could use at least use the frame for his tree business. Didn’t realize it at the time but that was actually a blessing in disguise. Apparently on my trip to Visit New England states my transmission line got cut somehow. I was on a mountain road when my car started causing me problems. Had I been towing my camper (without brakes) through the mountain when that happened an accident would have been Inevitable. Not to mention a much bigger mess to figure out.

HappyTraveler and stacey short like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Me yelling @%!#, when i learned i towed the camper home at 75 mph on bad tires with no battery or breakes with the wrong hight trailer hitch. Good thing i found this place or i would have hurt someone or myself due to stupidity!

6. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

We had one of those when the PO was helping me set it up in my driveway. The back didn't touch; I dived for the front bunk fast enough to get it going back down. Then we heard the bang. Good way to remember: drop those stabilizers!

7. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

The ripping sound of the velcro and vinyl on my slide out when i forget to unseal the canvas when closing up the dinette.

stacey short and theseus like this.
  8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

On our first trip out west we ran into a severe t-storm. We wanted to stay at the Streetsboro, OH KOA for the night but they advised us to stay in a hotel as they were moving their tent campers into cabins at that point. Anyway, on our way to the Econolodge the heavens opened up and it was pouring. At that point I heard the worst groaning noise coming from the pup. All three of us were like "What the heck is that?". It turns out that the friction bar got got soaking wet and it was making it groan really load we we turned. The next morning my son and I went out to the pup to check it out after the storm. I pulled out of the parking spot and heard "The Groan". I went back and loosened the adjustment on the friction bar and the noise stopped. What a relief!!!

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

.That is the sound that takes time getting used to. The very first time I took the camper with the sway bar out it was raining. I stopped about 4 times thinking it was the camper but couldn't figure out what. Then it dawned on me, it was the sway bar. Still freaks me out a bit until I remember.

10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

When the wife put a crease in her forehead as she slammed into the front dormer frame on our new Ranger 10 Aliner, dang nigh knocked her out [LOL]...she dropped to her knees first w/ a scream/groan, then buried her face into the sleeping sack on top of the cushion yelling stuff I didn't know she was capable of, dang glad no kids or clergy were present...grabbed some ice from the cooler & a baggie & wrapped a wash cloth around it & held it on her head until the thrashing subsided, then let her take over; she decided then & there she'd take the rear bunk, I cut a slit in a section of bright green pool noodle & pushed it up along the frame, it held half arsed for the remainder of the week...[CB]

11. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

We had the crappy swing down stabilizers on our PUP that popped down while we were driving (They were 35 years old). Our camper is small enough where it literally launched into the air while we were driving down the highway. We replaced those cursed things with crank stabilizers. Have never made such a good investment!

HappyTraveler and MyName like this.
  12. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

The loud scraping noise on the highway when the hitch popped off the ball and the hitch post tried to dig a groove in the asphalt. Luckily, I wasn't going very fast and I was able to get it back on. I got someone at my next camp ground to grind out the hitch post so I could get the hitch post wheel back on. I later replaced it with an Ultimate trailer jack and a foot pad.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  13. jdkmrc

jdkmrc New Member

That time when The Wife went to the cooler and called back to me "honey, I think we're outta beer."

14. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

When my toddler rolled off the end of the bed through the unsecured canvas. He was fine but my wife and I felt guilty

15. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Yup...that sickening sound after the pup disconnected from my hitch..it landed on the tongue jack wheel and it wore in half.

16. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Mason keeps "suggesting" I designate the dinette bunk for Charlie, so Mason can have the rear bunk all to himself. Given that Charlie (3) is a night owl, and Mason (9) is an early riser, it might not be a bad idea. Plus, there's that roll-out hazard to consider. Grommets can be torn out, as the Starflyer's previous history makes obvious.

Just need to figure out how to secure our barricades along the outer edge of the dinette bunk. I still think a flip-up barricade along the bunk end edges might be the best way to go.

17. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I have seen it suggested that you slip a pool noodle under the fitted sheet on the outside edge. Might work depending on how tight your sheets are. I imagine a looser sheet would make it possible for the noodle to be pushed out of the way.

HappyTraveler and FARfetched like this.
  18. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

The sound of the furnace clicking and not lightning because I’m out of gas.[:>(]

HappyTraveler likes this.
  19. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

A few years back I was driving down a bumpy dirt road and I hit a pretty good size bump when the camper made a sound that sounded like "Hillary won". Scariest sound I ever heard.

20. Bbuenger71

Bbuenger71 New Member

The crashing sound of the roof the day we got our pup. Father in law was manning the crank and the roof wasn’t lowering. I said I think there might be a problem. He said it will be fine and kept cranking it down and all of a sudden one side of the roof came slamming down. Luckily no ones hands were in the way and luckily nothing was damaged. Lubed up the posts good and hasn’t happened since.

HappyTraveler and MyName like this.