What is this and where can I get it?

Discussion in 'Mystery Parts' started by JenJay, Oct 11, 2020.

1. JenJay

JenJay New Member

Hi! New owner and looking to seal/reinforce old seams on pop out bed VINYL-(oops I thought it was canvas) tops. Anyone know what this grey tape stuff is? Or what I should use in its place if it is obsolete? The people at camping world looked at me like I was from outer space when I showed them this picture. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    20200906_102839.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

To.me it looks like a homemade patch maybe made out of canvas from a different popup. Just a guess though.

flingwing1969, JenJay and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

JenJay likes this.
  4. JenJay

JenJay New Member

It's all over on each seam. I think it's vinyl too. Thank you for responding.

5. JenJay

JenJay New Member

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Might be tarp tape. I'm sure there are more options out there but this is what came up in a quick search.

JenJay likes this.
  7. JenJay

JenJay New Member

This stuff might work too thanks for directing me there. The stuff I was peeling off the camper looked like it had been glued on.

8. StormFuel

StormFuel New Member

Looks like a really shoddy patch job with canvas onto the vinyl. One of the problems with vinyl is that most glues don’t stick to it. That is because vinyl has oils that seep through and separate the glue. I’ve found that the best thing to patch vinyl is Tear-Aid (type B). It’s easy to apply and is very durable. It cures fast and is nearly invisible. For bigger repairs you’re better off going to a vinyl upholstery shop. However, it’s not for seams. This looks like it was done to prevent leaking on the seams. My pup’s manual says that you’re just supposed to use paraffin or a seam sealer rated for vinyl on the seams to prevent leaks.

JenJay likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hard to tell what it was ment to fix without taking it compleatly off and looking at it. You could try and put a vinyl strip on after removing whats there, or sealing the seams or Bringing it to an awning or boat repair place. But i would want to know what im fixing first, and see if i could do it myself. You might even be able to just re glue whats coming off on the bottom?

JenJay likes this.
  10. JenJay

JenJay New Member

The patch job is around almost every seam. The seams are fine- maybe whoever did this did it as an extra precaution. Either way it's peeling off and isn't sticking like you said. I will look into the tear-aid stuff, I've seen it and was curious about it. Awesome, thank you!!

StormFuel likes this.
  11. JenJay

JenJay New Member

If I start peeling it will come off the whole thing. There aren't holes underneath so maybe they put this on just in case? I try to do everything myself (even when I shouldn't) so I will try all of the options members have suggested.

Attached Files:

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Is this some sort of extra layer that cover the entire end from top to bottom? Does that mean there are two windows to open or does the extra layer not have a window? Got a picture that shows the entire piece? Is the other end the same way? Does not look normal (the small portion you've shown).

JenJay likes this.
  13. JenJay

JenJay New Member

They are just on the corner seems and they are on each seem. Sorry for the bad pics. Hopefully these will help. Thank you!

Attached Files:

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

looks like a 'patch' job someone did to prevent leaking. Can only imagine it was added due to seams/tenting leaking in rain.

JenJay likes this.
  15. JenJay

JenJay New Member

16. StormFuel

StormFuel New Member

I think that’s actually a pretty good picture. Judging from the quality of the rest of the vinyl it seems completely unnecessary. Your vinyl looks in really good condition to me. Most likely it was put in place to prevent a leak in the seams. Unless there is a tear somewhere, I would remove it and simply re-seal the seams with a seam sealer that is rated for vinyl.

One word of caution is to check if the seams were sealed with silicone. Silicone is really hard to get off, but it’s really important that you get it all off because nothing sticks to it. You may need to carefully experiment with mineral spirits or alcohol to remove the residue. Just be sure to test it on an inconspicuous area to be sure it doesn’t damage your vinyl.

There’s a Good discussion on seam seal products here: https://www.popupportal.com/threads/favorite-seam-sealer.81823/

17. JenJay

JenJay New Member

This is AWESOME information thank you for your help! It didn't look like there were seam problems except on the corners. I will check out the link asap. Thank you again!

StormFuel likes this.