What is this gadget and why is it just hanging there? (rated G)

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by outdoorsnga, Aug 23, 2010.

1. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

We set up, hook to electricity, go inside, turn on lights and they dont work. I remember seeing a small switch like gadget hanging out from under the roof on the street side right above where our electric cord comes out. So in the dark I go out and with help of step ladder, reach up and wiggle this little gadget. My wife thinks I am a genius because the lights all worked fine after my little wiggle. Now I have to figure out why this gadget is now just hanging down and why when I wiggle it our lights inside the BHive work like they are suppose to. And did for 3 nites and 4 days..thru wind and rain and heat....
    2000 jayco eagle 12...have had about 16 months and use about 16 times for weekend trips..never a problem before......am I a genius? If yes why have I never seen this gadget before and where does it go? It looks like it should go between the canvas and the inside of roof but I do not see any place that hints it was attached before. please help before wife finds out that
    I just had a stroke of luck. After all we dont want to let her down!
    thanks

2. Tomminny

Tomminny 2004 Jayco Qwest 10K

I assume you are talkin about the safety disconnect switch. When you put the camper down, that switch opens and makes it so the overhead lights cannot turn on. If you left a light on and put the camper down, it could start the canvas on fire. This protects you from that. The only problem, if the switch goes bad, then you have the issue you are having. You either have a loose wire connecting to the switch or the switch is getting old and needs to be replaced.

Good luck!
    Tom

3. CampingFool

CampingFool New Member

Sounds more like the electrical connection on the side of the camper - on my coleman it is up near the roof near the right rear lift cable - looks just like the connection that goes from my battery to the wiring harness on the tongue of the camper - I always check it to make sure it is still securely connected after opening the camper, and try to make sure it doesn't get crimped when closing the camper- the other switch is inside the camper, and gets activated when I swing my galley into place.

Crystal

4. br9

br9 Member

My coleman is the same way.

5. mgwerks

mgwerks New Member

Since yours is a 2000 Jayco like mine, it is definitely the safety switch mounted up by the top of the lift post. If it is the switch actually hanging by the wires, then you just need to screw it back on to the inside of the top. On mine, the issue was that one of the connectors was loose, so I squeezed it a little tighter and slid it back on.