What is this switch for??? 88 Coleman Sun Valley

Discussion in 'Mystery Parts' started by 4RunnerSeth, Apr 29, 2013.

1. 4RunnerSeth

4RunnerSeth New Member

I was getting my new to me pop up loaded up for camping this coming weekend and noticed this switch. I tried flipping it and didn't seem to do any thing. No info in the manual either. I also found a 2" x 2" L shaped bar/brace thing that i couldn't figure out either. I forgot to take a picture of that one. any help would be appreciated.

[smg id=4918 type=preview align=center caption="tn 20130428 131653"]

2. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Sorry, your picture doesn't seem to work.

3. 4RunnerSeth

4RunnerSeth New Member

Strange, it was uploaded with the picture button in the editor. its a simple on off rocker switch located on the left right by the entry way.

4. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

Sounds like it would be a light switch.

5. 4RunnerSeth

4RunnerSeth New Member

My pup only has the 4 interior lights with the built in switches.

6. goblinn2

goblinn2 Midlothian, VA

Is it ON the sink- stove flip up system?

7. Manper

Manper New Member

[RTM] I was researching "switches" and discovered, according to a manual I just created for this comment, that it controls a garage door in the Netherlands so don't play with it [LOL] [LOL]

Not to think that you don't know what "switches" are for and trying to put myself in your shoes (as the photo doesnt work) my guess is that the switch is in a precarious place so is it possible its either a reset switch or kill switch? But w/o the photo its difficult...

As for the brace-braces are usually installed to make something more sturdy so it could be for something as simple as that or was created in conjuntion with another purpose (it'd be funny if its related to the switch [LOL]). Your line of questioning suggest that you are not the original owner? Its possible the previous owner made some mods?

If anything, hook it up to shore power (if possible) or hook the battery up and perahps that will tell you what the switch does?

As long as the brace does not affect anything or prevents you from doing something perhaps its not worthy of a second thought?

8. Bjune

Bjune New Member

We had a 1984 pup the first time around, and the little step folded down. Had a little light on the step and a little switch inside the door to the left to turn the step light on and off. Sure miss that old pup. As klutzy as I am the lighted step was great. Haven't had that since.

9. 4RunnerSeth

4RunnerSeth New Member

This sounds like a likely possibility. I will open up the door and look and see if there is a light under there!

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

If not for a step light, it might also be for an outdoor "porch" light. Do you have a light on the outside of the trailer next to the door?

11. 4RunnerSeth

4RunnerSeth New Member

No I dont. I suspect it is a step light. Most likely has a blown bulb or i just couldnt see it in the day light when i was playing with the switch.

12. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

On my son's 87 Sun Valley, it is for the stepper door light. It should be located just under the door sill plate. The 2"x 2" bracket could be for the wardrobe hanging bracket that would normally go in the front curbside roof corner. It should be mounted on the front roof wall just below another bracket mounted next to the roof about 18" from the side.
    This picture shows the bracket I'm talking about
    [​IMG]

13. 4RunnerSeth

4RunnerSeth New Member

Here is the picture. the other boards I use host images for members. Didnt know the rules here yet.

[​IMG]

14. 4RunnerSeth

4RunnerSeth New Member

Thank you very much on the light... sorry the bracket is a 2 foot by 2 foot L shaped thing not 2"x2"(typo). with a couple little things that fold out of it with plastic nubs on them kind of like the ones on the bottom of the seat cushions.

15. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

The switch is definitely for the stepper door light. Looks exactly like my sons. Maybe the bracket you are describing is the wardrobe hanging bracket that hooks into the corner brackets I have showing. The L shaped hanger has hinged short ends with slotted holes to hang from the upper bracket next to the roof. The lower bracket in my picture is to hold the hanger bracket away from the roof wall and the bunkend canvas. Look to see if you have some sort of matching attachments in the roof corners. By the way, if you haven't already figured out what the little clips are on the top of the door cabinet are for, they are to hold the Coleman popup specific brand ice box in place.

16. 4RunnerSeth

4RunnerSeth New Member

Ok cool. I will see if it fits there next time I have it open. I knew about the clips for the icebox as my pup came with the coleman icebox. I'm debating whether I should use it or just stick with my regular coolers.

17. dannyv11

dannyv11 Member

In regards to the wardrobe bracket, I had the same questions about my camper. After using the pup for about 6 months I rolled around in my sleep and ended up rolling onto something very hard in the mattress. When I lifted the mattress up, I found the wardrobe bracket underneath!!!!

Bonus!

Then I looked under the other bunk mattress (which we only used for storage) and found blinds to cover the back wall (behind the stove and benches.

Double Bonus!!

Moral of the story, look under your mattresses....you just may find what you are looking for.

18. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Ya under the mattress is where I stash all my money............wait...............I don't have any money..............Nevermind.

Took a picture for you Seth> Does it look anything like this?
    [​IMG]

19. 4RunnerSeth

4RunnerSeth New Member

Yeah! That's the thing! thanks again! What does is hold? My PUP has a mirror/paper towel holder thing and couldnt find any hooks for it to hang from.

20. dannyv11

dannyv11 Member

[LOL] you're not alone!