what is this thing called a water pump for?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by tfalter, Jul 21, 2011.

1. tfalter

tfalter I MUST work, so I CAN play

OK, kind of stupid subject but I have an honest question.

First off I am currently closing the deal on a 2007 Fleetwood Niagara ... Still smells new... were excited. I was a little worried when I started measuring the garage, those bad boys are a little long.

Well I know for sure that the water pump is bad, well I say I know for sure, I was told that, first thing will be to check the fuses. But if bad I will replace it with a like kind sure Flo I think.

Here is my question, can someone explain to me what role the water pump plays when you are hooked to water with a garden hose that pressurizes the system anyway? Is it only for when you are roughing it and carrying fresh water and there is no water to hook to?

If that is the case and I plan mostly trips local for a while till comfortable, do I have to fix it right away?

All the sites I will be in through this fall will have water and electric.... you input muchly appreciated...

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

If you are dry camping/boondocking you will need the water pump. But it sounds like you will be using hookups for awhile to get used to things [A]

The only time we use the water pump is when winterizing and dewinterizing. We do not use the fresh water tank when we do dry camp.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

City water pressure will push the water thru your faucets, showers, etc, no pump is needed.

4. cruising usa

cruising usa New Member

Congrats on your soon to be NTUPUP. Welcome to the portal from the Finger Lakes Region of New York State.
    Use the pump not working as bargaining chip during negotiations. If a fuse is not blown and the pump switch is not turned off measure the voltage at the pump connectors before replacing the pump.
    Remember to purchase a water pressure regulator to use when connected to the city water as the CG water pressure my be high.
    Good Luck and
    Happy Camping
    Ken

5. tfalter

Thanks a bunch, I did not want to find out on the maiden voiage that it had to be there...

I sure understand about the bargining ship and thanks for the advive on the water pressure regulator...

One more thing to add to the list...

6. Twisty

Twisty New Member

"...I did not want to find out on the maiden voyage that it had to be there..."

Don't take it out and leave it out!
    If you do, you need to cap or plug that line securely.

The pump has a check valve built into it.

7. tfalter

No problem and thanks... I figure I will just use the camper for a while and hook up to water, then replace the pump in the fall when I have more time and a little more money... these campers aren't cheep...

8. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Boy, you got that right. Like a boat, they can just suck up the $$. BUT they're worth every penny. The Niagara's a very nice unit and it is a beast compared to other PUPs. But you get a self-contained PUP that has all the comforts of home-toilet/shower, decent size frig, plenty of storage, microwave, 2 king size beds, etc.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

9. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Not only are the campers not cheap...neither are the pumps!

10. FC

FC Central Florida

It's for when you have no hook ups.