What is your camping history?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by RockyRoo, Dec 14, 2012.

1. CampChaos

CampChaos Member

As kid I only remember going camping once with a friend and her family for about 2-3 weeks over the summer and traveled from one end of WI to the other. Great memory! I didn't camp again until I was around 18 and only a couple times. It wasn't until I married that I really camped. Our first camping trip together was on our honeymoon in an old Apache with a broken lift (not a good time trying to lift it either)

This is not the actual camper but it does look exactly like it. We got rid of it as soon as we got home

[​IMG]

Our next camper was a Class B that we purchased off my dad. Again this is not the actual camper but similar. We ended up trading it off for a boat with a cuddy cabin.

[​IMG]

Later on we purchased a Class C motorhome. (Again NOT the actual camper, just similar)

[​IMG]

We then down sized.. which made no sense because at that time we now had FIVE children total. Figured out that it was too small (the hard way)and had to upgrade. (Not the actual camper but exactly like it)

[​IMG]

Decided to try the Class A (Not the actual camper) I didn't care for traveling with a herd of children not fastened in. Especially the smaller ones.

[​IMG]

Our final camper before the divorce. Again not the actual camper but looks like it. At this point I hated owning expensive campers with small kids because it was my job to make sure it remained clean. Got tired of the "this is too expensive to not make sure the kids aren't tracking in dirt and making a mess." Um yeah... you keep track of all 10 feet and what their 10 hands are getting into because after packing everyone's things, loading them in the camper, cooking, setting up camp and trying to keep each kid from making one other one cry while trying to keep them from going in and out... well, quite frankly I am tapped out. [:(!] Yep pretty much hated to go camping after a while.

[​IMG]

After the divorce............ it's a whole new world of camping! Every weekend that I have off from Spring to fall means camping. This is my first set up after the divorce. Tent under the yellow arrow.

[​IMG]

Wanted something bigger and went all out and did the unthinkable... spent almost $250 on a TENT!! [:(O] Cougar Flatts II
    This also has an attached awning that rolls up.

[​IMG]

After this past summer... I got tired of loading up, unpacking, setting up the tent, taking it down, wiping it down, rolling it up and trying to pack it away then lugging it up two flights to put away only to repeat in 2 weeks. [:(] So my next purchase this past October... haven't had her out yet but can't wait.... YES.. actual photos of her! My new to me 1997 Camplite
    I will be making curtains and cushion covers.. and doing some other updates. I hope to have it all done by Spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it spring yet?? Bring on Camp cHaOs!

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Wow, I am loving the stories that have come out of this thread, and the ones with pics are just awesome!

I kinda feel like I should expand on my original post now. I started out in the Florida Camper when about 3 yrs old, and camped in that till I was about 12 or 13 with my parents and 3 sisters when a night after me and some buddys spent the night in it in the driveway a storm came through and dropped a huge tree on it that flattened it in the driveway. They got the support poles replaced and used it for another year and sold it and moved up to the Krown.

We used the Krown thru the high school in the late 80's, and in the early 90's I introduced my gf who turned out to be my wife to camping with it. We borrowed the parents Sub and camper and traveled to campgrounds in NW Ohio as well as up to Brimley in the U.P. Turns out Dad never really liked camping and once I officially moved out he sold the trailer and never replaced it.

After we got our Suburban in 2000 the wife and I got a tent but only camped in it once. Divorce happened in 2001 as did my first back surgery and I didn't camp after that for a couple years due to my dislike for the tent lifestyle.

In 2007 I decided to take the girls and a friend of mine camping to introduce her to camping and while we were a half hour from the campround a storm rolled thru, tornados and all, and flooded the campground including the tent (rainfly was in the back of the truck, oops!). I turned around with 3 days left in the trip and bought the first pup, the small Coachmen.

The Coachmen was a nightmare. I learned quickly to never let anyone else EVER hook up my trailer as it came off the hitch 10 miles from the dealership on the expressway. Not a good experience. That camper had a black cloud over it, many problems the finally ended a year after purchasing it when it got caught in a hail storm and had holes in both bed ends. It got traded.

The 2008 Viking 2108st was an awesome unit, and fit us very well for 4 years. It was a great floorplan with plenty of room for rainy days. Unfortunately in 2010 dad passed away and during stories quickly found out the parents quit camping because he very much disliked it. I had no idea. Shortly after the funeral in November my mom asks me "so when are we going camping next?" So, the summer of 2011 mom/grandma spent sleeping on the dinette because she felt bad about throwing the girls out of their bunkend bed. Well, there are definitely issues with that from the sudden lack of space to just the thought of how wrong it is that mom/grandma has to sleep on the dinette. Although she didn't complain about it and was just happy to be camping, something had to be done.

Enter the 2013 Roo in May of 2012. This past summer was so much easier. I have my own bed, girls have their own bed in the back, and Mom/Grandma has a queen bed off the side. So much more room, more easier to handle and maneuver. Easier to keep cleaned up during the day and so much more room for the girls friends and occasionally my aunt and uncle on rainy days for playing games (they frequently camp with us over the past couple years). Having the bathroom to close moms oxygen concentrator in at night so it's not so noisy is also nice as well.

Keep the stories coming, they are great! We love reading them.

3. CampChaos

CampChaos Member

fmbhappycamper- Where did you get your awning?? I would love to have something like this on mine.

4. Carmenh

Carmenh New Member

+1, that's AWESOME!

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Look up Dometic Cabana Awning on Campingworld, to see the awning, breezeway and private room=don't freak at the price. Buy it on ebay from bannerbreeze, get one longer than your awning rail so the walls will touch the ground near the Pup. I love it and can put it up by myself [8D]

6. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Just a quick fix for you fmb. The seller is BANNERBEEZE no Rin the last part.

;D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

7. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Thanks
    RotnMom got one too [8D]

8. CampChaos

CampChaos Member

Thank you fmbhappycamper and rotnmom! I also had a very kind person PM the same with the link to the ebay seller.

I will have to double check on the size of my popup. Seller said it was 12' but I doubted that, felt it was more like 10. Nada lists the 1997 1906 Camplite as 19' which I assume is with the bunk ends. I have a queen and a full. So pretty sure it's 10ft.

BUT... better safe than sorry...right. :D

9. chrismarques

chrismarques New Member

My parents started in the late '70's with a '68 GMC truck and slide in camper. Used to ride over the cab looking out the front window! Think those days are long gone.....
    [​IMG]
    Later they traded in the camper and got out '82 Viking new. Over 30 years it has 2 cross country trips and all up and down the east coast between NJ and Florida.
    This in 1984 leaving for the Grand Canyon
    [​IMG]
    2007 Powder river pass in Wyoming.
    [​IMG]
    Just before thanksgiving we upgraded to our newer '99 Viking
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I tent camped on and off from 73 to 91, bought a new 91 Starcraft Starflyer kept it for 2 years. Financial reasons caused us to sell it and then we bought a used 94 Starcraft Starflyer that was in excellemt condition in 2003. We traded it in last Feb for our new Jayco X213 TT. Miss the pup....but love the new TT

11. rowerwet

rowerwet New Member

my parents were tent campers, however after a few really rainy trips, we ended up renting a cabin on Booth Bay Harbor for years. Finally they got a Coleman Columbia (the one with the aft bed that had to be folded in half to close)
    we found out it was a little small for the four of us, so I slept on the dinette cushions on top of the picnic table under a screen tent.
    My wife and I started out canoe camping and still like it, however I was a long way from home at work so I built a teardrop trailer (click on the camera below my name for details) and used it to stay near work a every other night. Last year I finished the TD from just a sleeper, to an actual camper, and my wife and I did a fun trip in it for our anniversary.
    I planned on building a "stretched" TD for all six of us, but a guy at work gave me a Coleman Newport, I just need to add new canvas, but we are already planning on a trip in it this summer.

12. Sonoma

Sonoma New Member

My folks started out with a small Winnebago trailer, having sold their boat when I was born. When my twin sisters came along, they traded it in on a 21' Nomad. We used that trailer from 1973 to 1982, when we had outgrown that trailer, and our favorite park was being sold. After years of collecting Thousand Trails sleeping bags for attending presentations, they finally bought in, since we could use their rental trailers, and see what floor plans would work out best for the next purchase. The 'next purchase' didn't take place until all of us kids were out of the house. Then came a series of 5th wheels, and Mom's current Class C MH.

My budget and small truck have limited me to tent camping, 1 White Stag 7x7, then a Coleman Crestline, and now a Coleman Evanston. This fall I'm planning on purchasing a PUP. I'll be happy to update when my first trailer joins our fleet.

Until now, here's my 'rig' on the last trip (the dog belongs to my friends, but she loved the screened entry on my tent).
    [​IMG]

13. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

I used pup and single man tents from cub scout days until getting married at 22. To introduce the DW to camping I moved up to a canvas 10x14, (heavy). Later with 3 sons we upgraded to nylon 10x20' tents. Now that the boys are out of college and not camping with us, ....along with turning 60, we transitioned in 2012 to our first pop-up Coleman Mesa. Its packed and ready whenever we are. We typically camp 2-3 wks per year.

14. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Mine started out tent camping in the scouts and moving up from there. DW's father was a scout master and when the scouts went camping the family went also. From there we moved up as our economic situation improved until we were able to purchase a used popup and the rest is history.

15. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I started camping as a boy scout. Did a lot of backpacking in college in the 1970s.

Worked for most of my career as a ranger and planner with the National Park Service. Moonbeams was a wilderness trainer for the Girl Scouts and a Venture Crew leader, and got into camping that way.

We started out as tent campers and only purchased a pup a few years ago. Last year, we spent nearly three months in it, and this year hope to hit at least four.

16. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Began camping with my family when I was six my parents went thru the circuit from tents to pop upx to Tt and class c
    We traveled most of the lower 48
    After 15 years of going to resorts and cruises with my family I have come full circle with.my own 13 Rockwood

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

17. jam0911

jam0911 Member

Never really camped when I was a kid, so I wanted to give my son the experience I never had. So since we live near 3 State Parks, 2 which are lakes ( Lake Corpus Christi, Choke Canyon Reservoir) and 1 which is on a beautiful historical mission site (Goliad Texas), we went out and bought our first new pop up a 2011 Rockwood Freedom 2280bh. Must say between the 3 state parks and the week long camp out in June at Camp Ben Mcculloch in Driftwood Texas, we are glad we bought it.

18. robrown17

robrown17 New Member

We had a popup as a boy, but didn't use it very much. I did most of my camping in a tent and on the backpacking trail. The DW grew up tent camping a little with her family. They got their first family camper when she was already off in college. We did a little tent camping after getting married, but went sparingly. Now that the kids are getting old enough to enjoy going, we finally upgraded to our first popup two weeks ago. We got a 2001 Coleman Tacoma and already booked three trips for the spring and summer!

This is going to be fun!

We'll see what kind of history we can create 30 years from now for ourselves, our kids, and our grandkids to be! :)

19. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

20. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

When I was in the 7-13 age range I camped with the Cub and Boy Scouts. We slept out in the open on the ground a couple of times but mostly in tents. The summer I was 10 my parents got their "tent trailer." It was a tent on a box with no appliances inside. My dad made a folding table for it and later put in a small propane heater but that only ran in the evenings and mornings, never while we were asleep. We camped in that for four years on long touring trips across the western US.

Here are my parents in front of our "tent trailer" in 1958.
    [​IMG]

The year I was 14 my parents went to the dark side. They sold the tent trailer and got a 15-foot Shasta TT. I traveled to the West Coast and back with them in it. Sorry, no picture. I never camped with them again after that trip. They continued to take three-week trips every summer but I stayed home to work during the summers to make money for college. They went on to get a couple of progressively bigger TTs which they used into their early 80s, traveling to points south during the Minnesota winters.

I didn't camp during college but resumed after graduation. In the summer of 1970 DW and I rented a large ground tent and took a three-3-week trip from St. Paul through the UP of Michigan, into Ontario and east to Montreal and Quebec City. From there were went to Maine (Acadia National Park), the Adirondacks in New York, the Alleghenies in western PA, across Ohio and Indiana, through Chicago and back home through Wisconsin.

After that I went in the USAF and was stationed at Lackland AFB for four years. We'd rent tents from the base recreation office and take long weekends in the Hill Country, on Padre Island and other places in South Texas. One time I took two weeks off and we went to several places in New Mexico.

I bought a series of various tents over the next few years, camping in MN and WI. We continued to use the last of that series, a large orange igloo-shaped tent, when we moved to WA. That tent served us well on long and short trips for many years. When it finally wore out I bought a blue asymmetrical Coleman tent (still have it) but we only used that one season before buying our first PUP. Sorry, no pictures.

The first PUP, a Fleetwood Yuma, came along in the Spring of 2009. We loved it and used it for two seasons, including one week trip to Banff and parts of BC, one to Vancouver Island and a six-week solo trip I made to the Southwest.

Here are a couple shots of the Yuma. This one is in Banff at Johnston Creek.
    [​IMG]

This shot is in the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada.
    [​IMG]

In late 2010 we decided to get a bigger TV and move up to a TrailManor. I bought the RAM in November 2010 and we found the TrailManor in January 2011. We sold the Yuma and the Explorer shortly thereafter. The TrailManor has taken us all over the West and we love it.

Here's a woodsy setting in Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona, AZ.
    [​IMG]

...and here's a desert boondock setting in the Anza-Borrego desert in Southern California.
    [​IMG]