What is your latest popup mistake.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by MyName, Feb 26, 2019.

1. MyName

MyName Active Member

Looking to learn from your mistakes instead of learning from mine.

2. MyName

MyName Active Member

My latest mistake was 2 days ago. I don't usually travel with water in my popup, but I need it this time. I added 10 Gallons and some bleach to clean the system. I closed the popup, but left the hand pump in the "open" position. Took the popup for a drive to mix the water. When I brought it back I noticed the trailer was leaking water. Lucky for me my driveway is on an incline so the water started leaking sooner. I'm guessing it leaked less than 1 gallon. Open it up, drained the water, cleaned the mess and put some fans to dry the trailer for 24 hours. Next trip, 2 days from now.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

We've all done SPUTs (stupid popup tricks). You may see many under SPUTs and mods section. Even many years in, we can still make them. Myself included. One of my biggest kicking myself SPUTs was also leaving my water faucet on.
    After setting mostly everything up except for water and electric I went to enjoy a fire at another campsite. Went back to camp at 11:00 pm and figured while I was hooking up the power might as well do the water so I can make coffee in the morning. Got everything hooked up and turned the water on. While I'm there I hear water running but didnt see anything leaking. Looking around everywhere outside for source of the noise. However with very limited light I wasn't seeing much. Just as I decided to walk to the front, when I saw a bunch of water leaking out of the camper. Turn off the water and run inside to find a flood. Apparently my faucet was left in the on position and because I had the sink cover over the sink the water was leaking down the counter and onto the floor. So there I am in my PJs sopping up the flood with a hand towel and a whole roll of paper towels I had with me. Around midnight i got it mostly dry and then turned on all my fans and aimed them in the cabinets trying to dry everything out. Had to sleep with the endless noise of fans but got everything dry. Lesson learned ALWAYS check the faucet and take the sink cover off before I hook the water up. That and hook everything up while its daylight before going out to play. [:P]

4. p

p Active Member

Not the latest...but the biggest...

Night before we were going on a three nighter I decided to test the furnace (first trip of the year). It had never given me grief (knock on wood). Connected propane...connected the power....turned the thermostat....click click click...nothing.

Rechecked all the connections.

nothing

Took it all apart...all looked good.

Rechecked all the connections.

nothing

It is now really late and I am trying to figure out how many sleeping bags we will need for our May long weekend camping in the mountains. It will be cold.

When I rechecked the system for the umpteenth time I got lazy and decided not to put all the screws back. When I tried to relight the furnace it lit for a moment and then went out. I heard an air sucking sound in the screw holes. It seemed like it need air.

Brain fart...I cover the vents in the winter to stop mice from getting in and forgot to take the covers off. No air could get to the furnace.

It worked great after I swore and took the covers off.

5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I have a piece of 1/2 inch plywood that has white aborite on one side. Its about 2 feet square. I use it in front of my curb side wheel to keep the sun off the tire while its parked in the driveway. It slips up inside the wheel well and then stands on the driveway, naturally sitting in there. My driveway is a slope, so I have to keep my wheel chocks in place while hooking up. I then have to back the Pup up the driveway about a foot or so to take the wheel chocks out before I can drive away. Well one time a few years ago, I forgot to run around to the curb side and remove that plywood before I backed up. The wood rotated back, (picture the shape of a diamond), and the top point stuck into the plastic inner fender. As I continued to back up, it kept rotating backwards and sliced a huge long gash in the inner fender. We were on our way out of town for a 6 hour drive and a 2 week holiday. There really wasn't much I could do with it at the time, so I crossed my fingers that we wouldn't be driving though any rain, and wouldn't encounter any nosey snakes that might want to slither in the gash while we were parked in the bush. In the end, all turned out good, no driving in rain there or back, no snakes (or bugs)(or chipmunks) going into the hole. I did a super fix on it all before our next outing. I always remember that wood now before backing up, in fact, it usually gets removed the day before while packing.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Can't claim to be guilty of all of these but here are some every popup owner ought to be aware of ...

Going inside the camper before putting the rear stabs down and the tongue reaches for the sky. [:O]

Forgetting to properly lock the stepper door on a Fleetwood / Coleman camper and driving off with it still down. :eek:

Driving off with the trailer in tow but not plugged into the tow vehicle. :oops:

Shoving in the bed platforms without making sure the tenting can't get caught and rip. [V]

Storing the trailer and not disconnecting the battery, either physically or with a disconnect switch and later finding the battery deader than a door nail. [:(O]

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Our biggest one (so far) was losing the key that locked the ball receiver on the pup. Temporarily, fortunately, but it was a fiasco that lasted over an hour and involved us re-popping up and searching. I have the whole story told here from the time (a few years ago) if someone is adventurous enough to look it up lol.

XangosLopez and Lebowski16 like this.
  8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I made a mistake in opening this mistakenly thread by mistake and that I did not make a mistake in venturing this mistake thread although I have learned a few mistaken things from mistake posters.

Lebowski16 and HappyTraveler like this.
  9. GreyFox

Got another! Leaving the truck keys on the popup roof, setting up, then spending the next three days looking for those darned keys! [B)]

10. Pnut

Pnut Member

Setting up at home when I first got my pup I went inside to check out everything, then all of a sudden the camper rared up when I walked to the back. I had forgotten to put the stabilizers down.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thinking the pop up was light enough to pull and push by hand. Depending on the slope of your driveway, this can be bad!

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

My mistake was looking for a bigger, better popup... should have kept my first one!

13. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

My exwife backed me right into a woodpile. Put holes into the rear panel of my $14,000 2 year old pup. That should have sealed the deal then not 8 years later

14. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We hang our keys on a rack inside. For a while every time we broke it down I’d forget to grab them. Only way to reach them was to crank it up and pull out one of the beds. Moved the rack to just inside the door.

AlexVanEks, HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, thats why i take a hide a key!

HappyTraveler and gladecreekwy like this.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

So far I haven't had any mistakes in the FnR (knock on wood), but have had my fair share in the clipper. And a big doosy of a mistake. What I learned is to never let my stress kickstart my pride.

A buddy and I were going to camping at a new campground. My clipper was in the shop getting some work done until the day we were leaving. I got it back, packed it up, and headed off to meet my buddy for a caravan drive to the campground. I had thought this was a nearby campground - only 45 miles from the main freeway. Easy peasy.

Nope. The last 30 miles was a 1-1/2 hour drive up and down steep mountain grades. By the time we arrived at the campground, I was feeling very stressed (I felt rushed the entire day and then that drive and it just got to my mood). As we arrived, my buddy said "let me park mine and then I'll help you back in". I replied "I can back in!" and off I went.

I started backing in and then stopped, got out and checked how much room I had left, got back in and started backing up. I had my distance down perfect and hit the brakes. Just as I hit the brakes, my rear tires went "plop!" and dropped off the pad.

When it did this, the back end dropped about a foot. Which caused it to land on the boulder I was overhanging to end up in the space where my front fuel tank was located.

Gas is pouring out all over the boulder. It's dark. I'm stressed out. And my buddy comes walking up. I really wanted to pretend it was all good. But I figured I had done enough damage.

We ended up ignoring it that night. The gas had stopped flowing out. I didn't light any thing or cook, etc. The next day, we went to work to get the clipper out of this mess. It took every leveling block I had, plus both bottle jacks, and a LOT of "raise it a little, block it, raise it again".

We got it up high enough so I could drive it forward without completely ripping out the entire underside. Then we took a good look at the damage. A big dent in my front fuel tank, but no leak. Ripped the fuel intake hose (that's where the gas had come from) out. Luckily my buddy has a thousand things in his rig so he had a hose. But it was one size too small so it took two hours to get it attached well enough to not leak anymore.

Spent the rest of the week camping and enjoying ourselves, but that mistake is my shining glory. Fortunately, it took three years for that tank to spring a leak (happened the morning of our Great GPS Adventure). My boss and I put in a new intake which actually improved my fueling process. After the Great GPS Adventure, I installed a new front fuel tank.

But now, when I start feeling stressed or tired, I stop.

And my buddy is nice and doesn't keep throwing it in my face. He does like to question my campground choices by mentioning the trip when we drove for days on the worst road ever... I guess that's why they call the lake past the one we stayed at "Hell Hole".

hayyward and HappyTraveler like this.
  17. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

The mistake that I seem to continue to make is not closing the roof vent before taking the top down. By the time we realize the vent is opened the beds are pushed in, canvas folded neatly, top cranked down. Now take it all apart, climb in, close the vent, rinse, repeat.

18. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

That's when I have a kid crawl in with barely enough room to squeeze to it (on top of the folded bed). But as my youngest turns 12 soon and my 14yo is almost as big as me now, this won't last much longer.

They are also good for squeezing into the folded-down pup to fetch things from cupboards, etc. But again... my clock on this is ticking.

19. GreyFox

Install a vent cover over that vent lid and you can leave it open 24/7, regardless of the weather, towing or parked. [A]

Lebowski16 and HappyTraveler like this.
  20. p

p Active Member

Have done this many times. Just crank it up a foot...don't pull out the beds and just reach in a crank it closed.

HappyTraveler likes this.