What is your latest popup mistake.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by MyName, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That's a good idea. Should work well since the cushions have wood backing. I've been wanting to get rid of our thousand pound table for some time now. Only thing stopping me is that we usually need the bed.

You would think with all four of our kids grown and five grandchildren, our retired butts would get to camp alone sometimes. Doesn't happen often. :laugh: That's my fault, though, I do enjoy family time especially knowing how fast kids grow up.

Sjm9911 and BillyMc like this.
  2. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

Our pup has a slideout and power roof. This last trip I took it to work with me since our site was 20 minutes away from the job site I was on, but an hour away from home. I was gonna go set up then run and grab the family after. I forgot to close my battery kill switch so my battery wasn’t charging off my truck, and so when I got to our site battery was dead and power roof wouldn’t work. No problem, I have a drill I use just for this occasion! Except I took the bit I needed out of the camper for something else and forgot to put it back! Had to use the speed handle wrench that thankfully I vowed to never remove from camper, and because of gearing for the motorized winch spent close to 30 minutes cranking that handle to get her all the way open! Something I learned later though is if your battery is weak, I just dropped the stabs and hooked the pigtail back to my truck and my truck battery was able to lift roof. Then after that when we were closing up I shut off our fuel and disconnected our power cable, which I always do last just before my final walk around, and heard our water heater clicking and trying to fire up. Forgot to turn off switch inside! Had to release roof and pull out slide so the kid can crawl inside and shut it off. Learned a lot of reminders on that trip. Funny thing is we usually open up week of trip and double check everything before we leave, but figured since we usually go out at least once a month we didn’t need to, not making that mistake again!!

AlexVanEks and HappyTraveler like this.
  3. nickap

nickap Member

Classic rookie mistake! On our last trip I forgot to chock the wheels before I disconnected from the TV hitch. I didn't realize the campsite was on a slight slope until the PUP started to roll away. I quickly grabbed the handle of the tongue jack and was able to stop it from rolling any further - but then I was stuck, I was on my own on that trip so there was nobody to help, and the moment I let go of the jack handle the PUP would roll off, so I couldn't get to the wheels to chock them. Finally I was able to slip off a shoe and wedge it under the tongue jack wheel and that held it long enough for me to get to the wheels and chock them - so it turned out fine in the end - but I really felt stupid. I have a checklist to stop me doing dumb things like that - so if I go by the list I will always level the camper side to side and chock the wheels BEFORE disconnecting from the TV - I just have to remember to read the damn list!

4. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

After reading your mistake I began thinking about what I would do in this situation.
    Not that I would actually come up with this solution while actually hanging on to the camper to keep it from rolling, but...
    Pulling the emergency brake cable would put the brakes on the wheels and allow time to get chokes in place. Just remember to put the clip back in place on the emergency brake cable.
    Obviously, this will only work on campers that have their own brake system. Don't know if brakes are a thing on all campers, but know we have them.

campfire Joe likes this.
  5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Don't disconnect the chains until the trailer is off the ball. If it starts to roll the chains will catch it.

Liv4Nov, Orchid, BillyMc and 2 others like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Someone here made slap bracwlets of the things they needed to do. So they removed a bracelet everytime they did a part of the set up. That way they never forgot a step. Me, i always walk around the camper completely, helps me slow down and double check stuff. So , before disconnecting, walk around the pup to make sure all is in order. Before rasing the roof, i do another compleate walk around to double check the latches. You get the idea. The only problem is when its pouring out, unfortunately all slow down techniques go out the window as i try not to get soaked. Then you forget stuff.

7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Did the bracelet thing... it works... better than my memory! [LOL] Bracelets go on my steering wheel as a final final check before pulling out of the site.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    AlexVanEks and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. fredhead

fredhead Member

From when I had a boat, I keep a spare key to the hitch lock (and now the trailer) in the glovebox of the truck. Main trailer and hitch keys are on the truck keyring.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  9. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Lucky you were wearing shoes.[;)]

10. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Active Member

Just in case you haven't gotten a response, I used Mineral Spirits and a wire brush/finger nail to get the silicone off my fiberglass roof. A bit of elbow grease but it worked. The Spirits seem to soften and dissolve it to a certain extent.

Camper054 and HappyTraveler like this.
  11. fredhead

fredhead Member

Instead of 1X4's, which could warp as they season, I would get some 3/4" plywood and rip it into the 3-1/2" wide strips. It won't warp and is probably stronger than the dimensional lumber. You can buy edging for the plywood that has hot glue on it, just use a clothes iron to apply it, it you want to cover the plywood edge.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Believe me, immediately after the incident that you quoted, I did exactly that.

13. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

The mistake I made is getting a site right next to the toilet / shower house, very noisy

14. tfischer

We used to do that intentionally when our kids were little. But these days it's a liability.

15. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Thanks fredhead! I hadn't thought about using plywood. We will definitely give that a try. I’ll post pictures on a new thread when we do it. (That will probably be a month or 2 from now — we are too busy to work on the pup right now.)

16. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We generally try for across and a couple sites down.

kgesiako and campfire Joe like this.
  17. neighbormike

I used to do the same... have gotten pretty spoiled having my own facilities! Now I try to choose the furthest, quietest sites [:)C]

18. tfischer

We picked up a Thetford Curve last year after me saying for years I didn't want a toilet in the pup. We only use it for #1 but I really like having it. I used to dread waking up in the middle of the night and having to "go", and trying my hardest to avoid it. Now I don't have to worry about it. Plus now before bed we brush our teeth and "go" without having to make the old routine trek to the public facilities. We still use those for #2 and if we're out and about anyway, or just want to walk for a bit.

kgesiako, AlexVanEks and neighbormike like this.
  19. neighbormike

I bought a Curve several years ago when I bought my last popup... nice unit! I am actually trying to rehome it, as it's just sitting in my basement.

20. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

REALLY like having our own facilities! SO convenient.
    Just use the bath house for showers now.

neighbormike likes this.