What is your latest popup mistake.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by MyName, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Dely

Dely New Member

No mistakes yet since our first trip will be end of the month, first timers here, I have read all, so I’ll have an idea of what not to... great site very helpful! From Massachusetts!

campfire Joe and neighbormike like this.
  2. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Welcome to the Portal from Western NY!
    Enjoy your trip!

Dely likes this.
  3. Ridun

Ridun New Member

Lowering my BAL Leveler before raising my jack stands, and I just got the pup a closed up and realized the vent lid was still open. Need to get a vent cover!

4. chili1962

chili1962 New Member

Put my car keys in my catch all box along with batteries, headlamp, etc. while I was out hiking. Broke camp the next morning, put the box where I normally store it in driver side rear storage, put the PUP down and went around to back up to it. Then I had to reverse process and unload until I could get down to the box. Keys go in my travel bag from here on out.

rjhammetter and HappyTraveler like this.
  5. fredhead

fredhead Member

I've been trying to wrap my head around DC wiring in the camper. Been working in electronics for 40 years and red is hot and black is ground. But not in the camper. Black is hot ground is white. So I'm saying over and over in my head, "Black is hot, white is not." Came home yesterday with a new battery and guess what? I wired it backwards! Only blew the 20 amp fuse in the converter. Between my experience, this camper and my 69 VW my head is going to explode.

kgesiako, neighbormike and AlexVanEks like this.
  6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Get some red electrical tape, and wrap the insulation around the black wire with it for a few inches. You're unlikely to connect a red-wrapped wire to positive.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  7. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

Had this happen at 65mph. My locks were fastened but rotten wood let the roof sides bow at speed. Roof went ZOOP into the air and tore off the canvas and completely destroyed the lift system.
    Will be rebuilding and adding 4 new latches and probably a set of ratchet straps. It won't happen again...