What is your worst camp cooking experience or culinary flop?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by redfragglerocker, Jun 1, 2011.

1. redfragglerocker

redfragglerocker Jen & Mike, Andrew (8) and Justin (5)

I am chiseling chicken pot pie out of the dutch oven after apparently leaving it in the fire for too long! [:(O] Ooops! We thought it would be salvageable, but no.

What is your worst camp cooking experience or food failure?

2. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

If that happens again either flip your oven over and burn it out in the fire or boil with water to loosen 0

My first Dutch and meal , was ribs in and unseasoned dutch in a rocket hot fire . I was 20 or 21 just poured sauce in a let it rip for 2 hours or so , the meat was char dust and the bones caught on fire and burned as well , the Dutch got so hot it glowed red when I finally noticed

3. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Cooking in the PUP has been all good. However, I turned on a burner and was confused about the correct burner to light. Next, a loud burst of flame! Did not see that coming.

4. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Now I thought with a DO you were suppose to use a specific number of charcoal briquettes on top and bottom for a precise temp and cooking style (ie. baking cake vs stew, etc.)? [?:~{]
    But to answer the question, it was doing the DO pizza someone gave the recipe for on here , and letting the Scouts decide exactly how much pizza sauce each pizza needed, and not cooking the crust for a little while before letting Scouts add liberal amounts of cheese and said sauce. And doing all this in a judged contest.

5. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I was tent camping and traveling by motorcycle. I got to the campground a little later than I had planned so it was suppertime after I finished setting up.

As I was looking through my saddlebags I discovered that I had left one of my food bags on the counter at home and all I had was a jar of peanut butter, a stick of pepperoni and a half loaf of bread.

As I was tired from riding, I gave in and had p'nut butter and pepperoni sandwiches.

I suppose it was better than going hungry!

6. Pup Daddy

Pup Daddy New Member

Thought I would try pineapple upside down cake in the dutch oven. Came out half cooked and runny on one side but it tasted great. Also cooked baked potatoes. Found my DD's potato on the ground under the table. Guess she didn't like it and thought I would never find it there. [:D]

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Since I minimize food and cooking while camping I don't have a story about some elaborate dish going bad. One time I did scorch some canned stew in a saucepan because I was doing something else while it was heating up.

8. JBousselot

JBousselot Member

I dehydrated a bunch of potatoes and veggies and put the dry mix into a bag with other items like rice and beans. I did not fully understand how much starchy foods I was putting together, so when it came time to re-hydrate, it turned into a big glob of cement. It would have taken a gallon of water to fix the mess, so we buried it instead. I have not made that mistake twice. Dehydrated foods that are not professionally prepared (think Mountain High and Backpackers Pantry) are now used as complimentary ingredients. Drying out a big bag of mixed veggies is a convenient way to get food variety without having to keep them refrigerated or frozen, but you have to plan ahead a couple hours to get things soaking.

My DW did an amazing cooking job this past trip in our PUP, and blogged about it.
    http://brushfordinner.blogspot.com/2011/06/its-all-about-food.html

9. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

I once fried fish in hot oil on the outside stove. My batter was way too thin so it didn't stick well to the pieces of fish. We were still able to eat it so it wasn't all bad. I doubt I'll do that again though because the oil splattered all over the stove and clean up was a pain. When I got home I disassembled the entire stove and used a kitchen degreaser and my power washer to get it all clean.

10. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I had read a recipe,probably here, a crock pot breakfast dish. Notice I said I had read it. I didn't actually right it down. So at camp, I had thought of this recipe and I layered some hash brown potato, with some cooked sausage, a layer of cheese and so forth. Then I beat a dozen eggs and poured over the layers in the crock pot. Turned it on low and went to bed. OMG!!!! I am still not sure what went wrong but..... the entire contents of the crock pot was brown and I am not talking "golden brown". Not only that, it smelled so bad. Basically what we had was burned eggs. This is the only time in all of my married years that my husband would not eat something that I had made. No one did. Never again will cook anything all night in a crock pot while I sleep. NEVER!!!

11. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Does knocking the grate down and loosing a dozen hot dogs in the fire count as a culinary flop? These were good butcher shop dogs, so I think it does !!

A link to my kid's campfire cooking album - https://picasaweb.google.com/1themanfromvan/CampfireCooking#

12. sharonscb@gmail.com

sharonscb@gmail.com New Member

Too many times and way too depressing to think about!!!!!

13. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

I think DW's blackened pancake , shreds were memorable , rocket hot grill , no oil and lots of burning and sticking , even syrup didn't help , the kids asked for cereal !

14. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

Yoop, did the exact same thing, with what sounds like the exact same breakfast crockpot recipe...it was horrible...lol
    wolfie

15. lisainthewoods

lisainthewoods New Member

We stopped and got some nice fresh sweet corn on the way up, drove in 17 miles on dirt road and realized we had no butter ! Back out I went! [LOL]

16. Manper

Manper New Member

Mrs Manper here and well my family still to this day does not let me live down my flop. Memorial weekend they even disscused a web redemption of sorts (maybe I'll get to meet Daniel Tosh [LOL]) Even worse is I have been banned from cooking this particular item ever again. [:(] [LOL] NOT!!!

Now that I have your suspicions at peak........I put water in the hash [:O] apparently the Morris [:)C] [RTM] sates you can only use bacon grease.

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The one that comes immediately to mind was years ago. We had bought some powdered green chile (i.e. dried and ground) that was labeled "mild". At that point, I could eat up to a medium hot, but we wanted flavor more than heat, and we go milder to allow for differences in heat definition.
    Added it to some rice for supper - it was flame-thrower hot, at best. Even DH could not get near it.

We don't cook fancy meals while camping, but have had our share of could-have-been-better ones. We don't use much packaged food anymore, can't eat most of the stuff made for backpacking, so once the frozen, home-made chili, stew or whatever is gone, we have to get creative.

18. tmmull

tmmull Member

I got real good at making cobblers in my DO. One time while camping with the Boy Scouts at Vally Forge I made a peach one. I never noticed that my wife sent me with sugar free peaches. It wasn't nearly sweet enough and the top tasted like a dry pancake. Needless to say, that one got dumped!

19. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Okay, after our recent trip I have a new failure to report. We decided to try cookie dough in the pie irons. Used a tube of sugar cookie dough and pressed it into the pie irons. Add a few goodies to it, and place in the coals. With in just a few minutes, they were smoking and completly burned. Bad idea!

20. electronflux

electronflux Member

I've had the same experience on the first try. Tried it a second time on the same trip, but didn't put them directly in the coals. They were 1000% better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk