What kind of paint for my aluminum roof?

jasba

Mar 4, 2016
Wisconsin
I need to put new paint on the aluminum (at least I am pretty sure it is aluminum) roof of my 2011 Jayco Jay Series 1207 camper. The roof is not leaking or anything. The pain is just worn off. I am debating between Kool Seal Elastomeric Roof Coating and Rust-Oleum Marine Topside Paint. I like the idea of the Kool Seal's help in temperature control but I wonder if the Marine Topside would be easier to keep clean. Any thoughts on either or other suggestions? If you know of any threads that might help please let me know I couldn't find one yet.

Big_kid

Virginia Beach, VA
Jan 13, 2008
I used RV Roof paint from Walmart when I painted the old 68 we used to have.

SWalker

May 11, 2017
Hi,
I am painting our N2U 1991 Coleman Shenendoah. I used Awesome Cleaner on the roof, and the paint just dissolved! It was already worn out, stained and fading anyway. My current plan is to use Rustoleum 2X white primer as an undercoat, then put Eternabond tape over the edges and center seal as a preventive (roof does not currently leak), then cover the rest with Elastomeric paint from the local RV store (their price is actually the best). Our roof is the old school aluminum sandwich, so I think this would be good enough.
My question is this: Where the latches on the roof section are screwed I can see about 2 mm of wood. Should I fill this with paintable caulk, or cover with Eternabond and then attache the latches on top of that?

Thanks!
Shaun

ghotiking

Apr 21, 2017
DFW, TX, USA
...then put Eternabond tape over the edges and center seal as a preventive (roof does not currently leak), then cover the rest with Elastomeric paint from the local RV store ...

Have you tried painting over eternabond before? I had trouble finding info on that. They do have a "paintable" version that appears to be aluminum lined, but it's crazy expensive.

My question is this: Where the latches on the roof section are screwed I can see about 2 mm of wood. Should I fill this with paintable caulk, or cover with Eternabond and then attache the latches on top of that?

I would caulk if it were mine just to be safe (I'm over-do-it guy so I'd probably do both to be honest). But I wouldn't rely on screwing through eternabond alone.

jadenjdawg

Jul 9, 2016
I used the Rustoleum 2X White Primer, and it looks great. U need two quarts of it. It isn't glossy and is easy to roll on.

SWalker

May 11, 2017
Thanks all!
I started out using Rustoleum 2x in a rattle can. That did not stick too well. So reading through lots of experiences on these and other forums, I bought a gallon of Zinzer Bullseye 123 primer. I put on two coats for the aluminum, and it worked great. I still want to give it a rubberized coating, but the primer is a good start. And it looks pretty good too! It sticks to just about anything, so after rolling it on the top and sides, I put some on the ABS panels on the front and back, and used the same paint in a rattle can to paint the latches, and other bits and pieces. It looks really good now!
z7VQfw8BXBXnUysgBrXewjznFWmq7bha7bhqEmiXpe8yE6Bg6Tk8mo2vk7D91eflYJLzN5-lbgcTfWFtiq1wY5hIATwR_oP1UeD2CfHwmO0ZTJWeTEBhTVndu1JUn6LHU7Ch7n_vjGUQf44qWVUEt7nyvBvsspD72IAo3_Pw6SlFDulAhQq_rCNHS8Tii8H3ZzhDq0wtTMkVDQ3WwJGfYBs-FmjpZliFvYktJT2iFkCco2IzxwxFhpaxzJ3iESDZLkC2ldpnzbMvlOZdU6VjH56dEp771W-tB8At3Hb8F7pJ75qRpRchiF7aNZA2J8nrvC7icnp9x8hlmwFu-jcPOnmJ_n35uI5jnjOc9sd1eiuOCDVxWsm4LAnmhzmowaohANGbGNRb4uotfvntNKwapOJb3q2P83y9UGFGvGLOO3eAURLjajPbhahgI0rxK4qEXg_ut7M4QTFqYpt6Yzp3TtVVReq9cqB6tUc_HfEXxpXRFOKSPzLLCLSjFgAP18Wu-Cax0_L3oOdeJl92sXor7WKBuc0UJuT-dtKNVi8MxZ7kQNABKLvmzVWrhf-gzSNscWtLl8l4LU9oq9S5KcfedAbSi-2aUUM5sh_blGwmWIu29Ziz4SbhgA=w1267-h950-no