What kind of sealant is this?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by danfang, Sep 20, 2021.

1. danfang

danfang New Member

Can anyone tell by looking what type of sealant this might be? It’s used on all the corners of my Rockwood 2280 BHESP roof. I believe it’s original from the Forest River factory, as I don’t think the previous owners did any resealing.

Starting to crack and separate and needs to be redone. Curious what it is though.

3890A10A-7DC7-410A-BCE5-CCB7DC7FC25F.jpeg

2. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Most PUP and trailer roofs I believe are sealed with Dicor EPDM Self-Leveling Lap Sealant. It is most certainly the best choice going forward for repairs! About $12 per 10 oz. tube on Amazon.

TheBlurb, xxxapache and Raycfe like this.
  3. p

p Active Member

How remove and clean?

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Almost looks like clear silicone.

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

With the checking cracks, I don't believe it is silicone.

6. danfang

danfang New Member

This is a little translucent. I’ve only seen opaque Dicor. Have you seen it clear or semi-clear?

There’s actually a small patch job in one place that I’m pretty sure is silicone and it looks and feels totally different than this stuff.

7. Sjm9911

Ok, is it rubbery, or hard as a rock, or semi soft? Caulk gets hard over time, repairs would be softer. Silicone if patched in wouldn't stick to anything else. You still would need to remove what it is, once you do that you should know more.

8. danfang

danfang New Member

I just read in the FR forums that they often use Proflex at the factory. Is it possible that’s what this is?

9. danfang

danfang New Member

This stuff is rubbery. The silicone patch is around the fan and it’s almost tacky, especially when in direct sunlight a while. It’s also crystal clear.

In any event, I expect I’ll be scraping this stuff off at the end of the season and starting fresh with a new sealant.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Butyl tape is what is often used underneath trim pieces, vents, etc. It's available at dealers, RV stores, probably Amazon, in a couple of widths. If it's difficult to work with, putting it in the freezer for a few minutes make it stiff enough to behave. We learned that when renovating our first popup.
    We keep it on hand, to seal as we replace things - in the last year, we've replaced the electric cord access hole, both roof vents, and the stove vent.
    For caulking, RV products, such as Dicor brand are what is used. Self-leveling for horizontal surfaces, such as around roof vents, edge of roof. Non-self-leveling for vertical surfaces, like lights, stove vent, etc.

Silicone is not recommended. When caulking needs to be replaced, removing the residue of the old silicone caulking is difficult. We did not know that, caulked a lot on our first popup when we bought it (it was well used and over a decade old) with silicone. Trying to remove it, even with silicone removed and lots of elbow grease was hard work, and not completely successful.

11. Sjm9911

Tacky/ sticky is usally polly based caulk, rubbery is usally silicone, hard as rock old polly or latex. Hard to tell. Silicone sheds water and can not be painted. Not sure on the polly baised stuff ( dicore) havent really bother to look or test it. When you scape it off you will know more.

danfang likes this.
  12. Dave2514g

Dave2514g Member

Just redid mine earlier this summer. Was told forest river uses Geocel Proflex RV flexible sealant as the OEM product. Paid $13.50 canadian pesos a tube up here from the dealer, but it turned out well. Looks exactly like original. 20210924_075341.jpg

13. Dave2514g

Dave2514g Member

Also.. if you're doing that... might as well do around the roof vent at the same time. That is Dicor non leveling lap sealant. Turned out looking better than the job from the factory. Good luck, but these are the correct products... hope this helps. 20210924_075931.jpg

14. Sjm9911

I still dont know what the Geocel Proflex RV, is made of. Its printable so probably not silicone based.

15. Dave2514g

Dave2514g Member

Its a tripolymer sealant

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. danfang

danfang New Member

Thanks everyone. @Dave2514g, really helpful to hear your experience. I will use the same products when I do mine.