what pop up can I tow with a 4 cyl. toyota yari

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by peppster66, Jul 23, 2014.

1. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Yes. It is quite tiring when you see people that say "well in europe blah blah blah can tow blah blah blah."

That's nice. We're not in Europe.

Europe has drastically stricter driver education, licensing, and laws.

You don't have little old ladies who can barely see over the steering wheel darting out into traffic. Or sixteen year old girls with the radio cranked up, a frappacrappamochalottachino in one hand and texting in the other.

2. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

They don't have little old ladies in Europe? What do they do with them all? ;-)

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

If you are on FB you could ask around on the Apache Preservation page, I believe there are several softies (tent-type) for sale pretty inexpensively. (There are other great Apache FB pages as well, but I have seen a lot of recent "for sale" postings on this one.) As an added bonus, these campers come with a cult owner's group and round-ups to attend. Plus there's that momentary pause when you pull into the campground - priceless!

4. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Oh ohhhhh Haybale has the teardrop itch! This could be a good option though for the Yaris.

5. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hola Yo'll

All the trailer hitch sites only sell a unit that is engineered spec'd to 2,000 pounds ( which is a 1 1/4
    inch square tube ) for this vehicle. A Owner's Manual will show 900 and something pounds as a
    Max Towing Limit. This amount is with-out Trailer Brakes ... and they may say nothing about the
    higher Tow Limit which is only with Trailer Brakes.

This relates to all 8' Pop Up's and to some 10' Pop Up's --- which is the answer to The Original
    Question.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    This makes you equal to any 1992 - 2002 SL2 Saturn because it has the same Car Towing Spec's.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Uhm, this is the World Wide Web. Not all members live in the states.
    I enjoy hearing views from across the pond.

7. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I've seen a number of threads on here where people say something along the lines of "well in Europe the same car as what I have has a towing capacity of XXX" XXX being a good deal more than what its rated for in the states.

Most recent one I can think of is the guy that wanted to tow with his Audi.

8. etool8762

etool8762 New Member

how about just the sleeping bag and a [CP]

9. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I'm betting you saw the Lifetime camping trailer. I know that Costco sells those. The Lifetime is about $2,400 or so. Not a bad price for what you get. The SylvanSport GO is closer to $9,000.

10. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

I just saw something locally today called a "Jumping Jack". It reminded me of several different units. Weight of a small Quicksilver, adaptability of a SylvanSport, and side-wing style of an old classic Bethany or '60's Apache. Don't know where all they're sold though. But I do know my friend's cars (Ford Fusion 4 cyl and Subaru Outback Sport) are both rated to tow it.

11. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

You need to find out what your actual towing capacity is. Brakes IMHO are an absolute must on that car and you need to find out what your true tow rating is. If it is 900 lbs, after you factor passengers, food and gear...you might only have a few hundred pounds left. Besides stopping power, you need to consider emergency handling and what your transaxle will withstand. I think you are asking A LOT from that car

12. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

I remember my '92 Tercel's manual said that towing wasn't recommended at all and didn't have any weights listed. It had a 12V version of the same engine as your Yaris, and I believe you have about 115 horsepower, but I think the big problem is that there's no place strong enough on the chassis to safely mount the towbar where it won't rip back out with the weight of a pop-up. You could probably get away with towing a jet-ski or something small like that, but even an 8 ft. PUP weighs more than I would consider towing with it.

13. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

That, and you would likely tear the guts out of the transaxle