What should I do about issues with new Aliner Ranger 12?

Sweetpea

Mar 31, 2021
St. Paul, Minnesota
Use the "Edit" button on the bottom left of the post. I use it all the time to correct my spelling, punctuation, and spelling mistakes. Some people don't care, but it's a pet peeve of mine. Nothing worse than a post with no attempt at punctuation.
I hate it when I try and write something and auto correct won't quit trying to change my words!

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
@Dalton Ramsey... Sorry to hear about your Aliner’s issues. I hope it gets repaired quickly and with convenience. A new unit should not be sent out by CNW with all those issues. That’s a quality inspection issue. It is a tarnish on their and the dealerships reputation. I hope they remedy it right away. Aliner’s are supposed to be one the top units of all Aframes. That’s why their prices are higher than other brands.

We enjoyed our Aliner Classic for many years. It was a great unit. Never had any major issues. And after having it for 7 years, it was still in good condition when we sold it this year.

Happy Camping...[put&hy]

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Sorry to here about your new camper. I would see if there was someone around you that has an a liner and see if they would just look it over too see if these things are normal or not. Also, make sure its set up level, if not some things may not line up properly. This will not fix all the issues, but maybe some of them. Or maybe none at all. Yes , take pictures and post them for the a liner people to look at.

Lou W

Apr 10, 2021
Fort Worth, Tx
We just took delivery of a 2021 Ranger 10 that was ordered and have some of the same issues. We returned to the purchasing dealer last week, took 3 days off because it is also 180 miles away. The interior side latches (the 10 only has 2 on each wall) don't line up well either and the styrofoam insulation keeps falling out of the panel from the openings. The 12V system wasn't hooked up to the battery. The door was hitting at the top same as yours. We had purchased the heat pump and wind assist which it was not delivered with. Several screws missing. The e-brakes were barely working, the safety switch connection was poor. Floors were covered with wood, screws and metal shavings. The refrigerator never seems to get cold on 120V. I replaced most of the missing screws from the loose ones left in the storage areas.
The dealer credited us for the heat pump, $400 less than what the invoice claimed, and issued a "we owe" for the wind/assist. I'm an ASE master auto tech so making most of the repairs my self was preferable. I used the left over screws to replace the ones missing inside. "Adjusted" the door so it would close correctly (the aluminum opening molding wasn't installed straight).
Corrected the e-brake wiring and the battery wiring. Ended up redoing all the battery leads because "crimp" connectors were used and only about half of the wire strands were actually in the connectors. I soldered on new lugs, added fuses and a "cut-off" fuse. Protected the connectors with waxed lined shrink tubing.
The dealer was to install the wind/assist kit, replace a missing screw on the roof hinge and check the refrigerator. When we went to get the camper after service I checked the wind kit installation and they hadn't added the brackets for the brace to attach on the opposite roof, they just simply mounted the brace to the one roof. This would work for a lift assist but, would not secure the roof in a wind. They installed a non-matching screw in the roof hinge and never looked at the fridge (said it takes 8 hours to cool down).
I got the tech and showed him the issues, it took another 2 hours to get them corrected.
I know covid is an issue for everyone, but simple concern for the customer doesn't cost much and it goes a long way. The materials used seem to be decent but the workmanship was very poor. The dealer should have contacted us when the camper arrived from convoy and informed us on changes in the delivered unit so we would have options. We waited two weeks to take delivery and what happened was we caught the differences after driving 180 miles to pick up the unit and then the only option was to drive home without it or take it as it was. The delivery pitch was that the campers accessories were fully checked out and cycled through several times, not possible if the 12V systems weren't hooked up. The experience was a very poor from the manufacturer and the dealer.
I've worked at new car dealers for most all my life and I know from experience these things happen, but really. You deliver a dirty new car or one that the brakes don't work, it won't be pretty at the next department meeting.
After all that, we still really like the camper. It sets up much quicker that a canvas type and has all the stuff we need. The size is perfect, we pull it with an old 2.7L standard shift Tacoma. Not going to win any races, but then who's racing anyway.

Last edited:

DiamondGirl

Jul 2, 2016
AZ
Welcome to the Aliner Family. Glad
your Aliner is being repaired. It’s a nice unit once all the bugs are fixed. We really enjoy our last Aliner.

Happy Camping...[put&hy]

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
Have you looked at the wiring behind the converter? Sounds like your unit had some sloppy wiring done so be sure and check the converter wiring. Our first trip to a National Park had to be changed to an expensive private campground with hookups due to a dead battery caused by bad wiring.

We found a bundle of at least 8 negatives tied together with one wire nut. One wire had popped out and screwed up the entire system. We replaced with multiple wire bar connectors to insure solid wiring to our Aliner.

What dealer did you use that didn’t do all the pre-delivery checks. Might be nice to know who to avoid or at least be prepared to double check their work.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
re: The delivery pitch was that the campers accessories were fully checked out and cycled through several times, not possible if the 12V systems weren't hooked up

Our admittedly used ALiner was theoretically checked out while we waited a week after putting the down payment on it - but they never tested the frig on Propane, else they would have cleared the wasp nest out of the boiler chimney!.

DiamondGirl

Jul 2, 2016
AZ
@Anthony Hitchings and others. Be sure to add protection screens to your water heater, furnace and fridge vents to keep bugs, wasps, spiders and etc. out. I’m allergic to those. Naturally they love to attack and make a home in my Aliner, TT or home while trying to find a way to get me. I also keep bug, wasp, spider and flying insects spray in my Aliner and now KODI. I was stung by a wasp in less than five minutes after arriving at the campsite and setting up the Aliner. Good thing I took an allergy pill before leaving home and had bite/sting spray inside my first aid kit. I was bitten by an Arizona brown spider which is similar to a brown recluse after coming back from a camping trip. It was hidden inside my pillow case. My upper thigh was bitten in the middle of the night. Went through a couple of months of treatment. We also brought home 13 spiders, species unknown inside our gear from a car camping trip on a different trip.

Happy Camping...[put&hy]

Sweetpea

Mar 31, 2021
St. Paul, Minnesota
@Anthony Hitchings and others. Be sure to add protection screens to your water heater, furnace and fridge vents to keep bugs, wasps, spiders and etc. out. I’m allergic to those. Naturally they love to attack and make a home in my Aliner, TT or home while trying to find a way to get me. I also keep bug, wasp, spider and flying insects spray in my Aliner and now KODI. I was stung by a wasp in less than five minutes after arriving at the campsite and setting up the Aliner. Good thing I took an allergy pill before leaving home and had bite/sting spray inside my first aid kit. I was bitten by an Arizona brown spider which is similar to a brown recluse after coming back from a camping trip. It was hidden inside my pillow case. My upper thigh was bitten in the middle of the night. Went through a couple of months of treatment. We also brought home 13 spiders, species unknown inside our gear from a car camping trip on a different trip.

Happy Camping...[put&hy]
Now that's Arizona for you, geez. All that's here are various spiders, none that seem too bad, some are of course, huge. Garter snakes, there are timber rattle snakes, but there in the southeastern part of the state, up in bluff country. But, I will try and remember to put some sort of screen on those entrance areas you mentioned, I know it's supposed to help with keeping things running smooth. Sorry about your allergies. Thanks for all of your great advice.

Sweetpea

Mar 31, 2021
St. Paul, Minnesota
Our aliner, was going to get new tires today, but when we hooked it up the lights, brake, turn signals, wouldn't work, everything seems right, our Toyota is running fine, a aliner mechanic told me it could be fuse on our tow vehicle, but like I said, everything seems right. We looked it up in our Toyota manual and the fuse that runs lights etc. ,also runs a trailer. I'm hoping the mechanic guy has another idea. I don't know if a Toyota mechanic could help with this. Almost got it out for a ride.....

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
Had similar problem several years ago pulling pop up with Dodge Dakota. Dodge dealer charged me $50 to put in a 15 cent fuse. Solved my problem but never had any future business with that dealer.

S4nsc

Jan 30, 2021
St Augustine, FL
Not sure which Toyota your TV is but in my Tacoma there is a fuse for the 12V power pin in the 7 pin connector. I would confirm that fuse is good and that nothing has broken the ground. No return path nothing is going to work. The ground might make the most sense if nothing is working.

Squirrels and other rodents LOVE Toyota wiring insulation. They chewed through some sensor wiring in my engine compartment. Not a cheap fix.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
We looked it up in our Toyota manual and the fuse that runs lights etc. ,also runs a trailer.
Do the lights on the Toyota work? If so, it's not that fuse. It could be a ground issue. Use a jumper cable and connect from the camper frame to the tow vehicle frame and see if the lights work then.

Nanapoppypops

Mar 30, 2019
Lake Placid, NY
Did you hear back from the dealer regarding these issues?

For anyone else purchasing from a dealer I highly recommend you go over the RV very carefully before leaving the lot with your purchase. Set it up, tear it down, run all the appliances, even run some water through the systems if possible. Ask them to show you how to do everything, even if you know how things work. That way you can hold them accountable to fix everything before it leaves their sight.
I just wanted to reply to this because of our purchase last September of an 2013 A128s Rockford aframe. My husband and I are seniors and traded in our popup for this. Had a walk thru. After an 8 hour trip home had bubble window leaking and couldnt get the door side roof latch to go down all the way. I was pretty upset due to the fact that it was not easy to get back to this dealer within 30 days. It was suggested to buy a longer bolt for the latch, 1/4" longer. I'm looking for the length of this bolt to replace old one with as I still have it covered from winter. Would you know. Thank you

Campeador

May 22, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
We just took delivery of a 2021 Ranger 10 that was ordered and have some of the same issues. ... The experience was a very poor from the manufacturer and the dealer.

Between your post and the OP, I'm having some severe reservations now. I'm taking them as cautionary tales, and feel a lot less optimistic about the Aliner route being a good one for us.

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
We had a Aliner Scout Lite a few years ago. Not many extras but never had a single issue. Went to a brand new Winnebago class B motorhome. The motorhome was nothing but problems, breakdowns, leaks etc. Sold it at a huge loss and went back to an new Aliner Classic at the end of 2018. The difference between the two is as a relatively handy person, I can fix almost anything that can go wrong with the Aliner.

We have not had to go back to the dealer for any repairs yet and we just returned from our 20th outing.
Had to install missing dormer struts provided under warranty from Aliner. Traced a battery drain to a wire that popped out of a sloppy connection behind the converter. Replaced nylon friction tape on both sides of the roof that came off. Now I need to replace some plastic stops on the dormers. Aliner is sending these little replacement pieces at no cost. We did have to screw an aluminum slat onto the water heater vent to better direct exhaust as it was causing a melted spot on the sidewall. Only cost to me other than my own labor has been less than $20.

Compared to the $$$ of repairs on the motorhome, I think the Aliner is doing okay. I do wish all RV manufacturers would up there game. Even the quality names such as Grand Design, Nucamp and Lance have scores of user complaints and they are all in the top of the pricing scale.

It just doesn’t work today to rely on the dealer for much. You’re lucky to get an appointment in under 6 weeks and then no guarantee they will actually work on it right away.

Not really intending to vouch for Aliner but imho I don’t think there are any quality, no problem, campers in the price range that Aliner’s are in. Be prepared for pesky problems no matter what you buy.

Latest posts