What should I have in a camper tool kit

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Cara B, Jun 29, 2020 at 1:07 PM.

1. Cara B

Cara B New Member

I hey guys I need a list...plain and simple... this it just not clear for me .. my shed has items and I may need to purchase, but I need help building my own tool set for my PUP . Please share your wisdom.
    Ok.. go

nectarsis likes this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I always have a tool kit in my truck but some specifics would include: screwdrivers (slotted/phillips head), hammer, fuses for the converter, vise grip pliers, spare light bulbs, electrical tape and a couple of wrenches. You could make your list as big or small as you want....

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

You'll likely need a square drive screwdriver. I personally like this Klein multibit driver, it has everything you should need.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It depends on what you use and need. I have dc and ac voltage repair stuff. Water fittings, extra hose, some shark bites incase of a leak, socket set, screws, wrentches, cutters. A drill, just in case something falls off in route. Caulk, tarps, eternabond tape. Screws. It doesn't need to be high end stuff, just stuff to get you by in a pinch.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My tool box started small and just kept on growing and growing And growing. [:I] It ended up so big I no longer wanted to bring it with me on my trips.
    .So decided to Start at square one and keep to the basics plus a multimeter. My father actually found a suitcase toolbox from Costco that came with all the basics plus a few extras. I just added the multimeter so use that as my trip toolbox.
    I use the big one on my much longer And further away trips or if I know I have repairs. Part of my problem is my camper is stored offsite so repairs are always done away from home hence the reason the first one kept on growing.

6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Basic socket set, 6 in one screwdriver, and a pliiers of some sort will handle all the minor and some major issues. Proper prep and maintenance is really your best friend.

cyclop5 likes this.
  7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Whatever you have or put in the camper tool kit, take a Sharpie and put a "C" on it. "C" for "Camper" that is. That way you know where to put it back.

cyclop5 likes this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The tools would need to do what you intend to do as far as emergency repairs but try and keep things simple, as it can get expensive and heavy. I keep spare light bulbs, fuses, pliers, vice grips, 4 way screwdriver, elec. tape, small meter, side cutters for electrical,needle nose, a hammer, a small socket set, and a small wrench set. You will add needed tools as you camp.

9. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Some of the basics can be bought in a kit with screwdrivers, pliers, and a small socket set. You will need to add some things like a square bit screwdriver and vice grips. Make sure you have a Lug Wrinch for your trailer, and a jack that will work with it (you might be able to use the one in the TV but check before you need it). We always have electrical tape, duck tape, zip ties, super glue, and tiedown straps with us too.

[​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/Performance-...000&rnid=1243644011&s=power-hand-tools&sr=1-9
    [​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Me...00&rnid=1243644011&s=power-hand-tools&sr=1-10

10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I had to quickly rebuild my tool kit when everything in my clipper was stolen. Originally, I bought tools as I needed them and had a pretty fine-tuned kit for it. When everything was stolen, I bought this kit: https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-kit-with-case-130-pc-63248.html

I added zip ties, bungie cords, ratchet tie downs, a tarp, furniture blanket, super glue, duct tape, and electrical tape. 2 hydraulic jacks and an inexpensive air compressor are kept in my SUV.

I have the same tools in the FnR trailer. I also keep a variety of wood screws, machine screws, bolts and nuts in both.

I also have several small jumpstarters. I keep teo in the clipper and one each in the SUV and FnR - I use one for charging electronics if needed, and the other is reserved for emergency jumpstarting needs.

Blackripley likes this.
  11. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

I read somewhere last week a lug wrench was most imperative. Dont know why but maybe for tires.

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would put that into another category, not really a toolbox sort of thing. Yes , that and jacks and leveling blocks and wood. Plus a spare tire, compresser and tire repair kit.

13. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Yes in case you need to to put on the spare on. You might consider checking if your tow vehicle's lug wrench and jack will work with your trailer.

lynnmarie0123 likes this.
  14. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Great idea!!

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Also helps if you do a practice run of changing a tire in your driveway .. Just so you have an idea of what to do on the side of the road or highway.. and too add to that if you are forced to change a tire on the side of the highway, don't use 911, but google the non emergency number of the local State/Provincial police and ask them if they can send a car out to block traffic...

Another thing to have is a good Emergency Roadside Service membership.. do your research because they are all a bit different.. I use Goodsams ERS..

16. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

First thing I had to deal with - at home - was removing the stubborn plastic dress nut covers on the lug nuts - those got tossed in the trash.

17. Goforit

Goforit New Member

IMG_20200701_111253.jpg IMG_20200701_111204.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 11:14 AM
  18. Goforit

Goforit New Member

Another alternative to a lug wrench, and what I use, is a cheater bar, extension and socket. Why? Because it can have multiple uses, just change out the socket.

Kyle R Thorson, Snow and Blackripley like this.
  19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

That's what I carry..

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I always have a Craftsman tool kit (154 piece), 1/2" breaker bar, 6" 1/2 extension and 1/2" drive 13/16" socket (lug nuts), channel locks medium and large adjustable wrenches. You never know what will happen or what you need to fix. Fathers day weekend while lowering the roof I learned that! I had the tools and was able to close it up.

Sjm9911 likes this.