What size campsite?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by metro6775, Mar 17, 2014.

1. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

I am trying to book a campsite online and I must pick from 15 and 40 ft. Is this just describing the length of the parking pad? I have a 12 foot box so would I be good with 15 ft?

2. highlander70

highlander70 New Member

Last fall when we picked up the pup we always got the bigger size lot and we always used the entire space, by the time the pup is setup and bunk ends out it has to be ~ 25' of so long , I have not actually measured it open but has to be close to that and by the time you park the SUV in front of the pup the lots just about full.
    The last 2 times we went to turkey run I think they were the 40' lots

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

As highlander70 indicates, you'll be better off with the 40' site.

We actually measured our pup when open, along with our TV and added a fudge factor. (I learned to add the fudge factor after being assigned a very short site with our previous pup, when it was difficult to open the back gate of the TV, I was almost leaning on he bunk end.) So, for us, we have found the pup and TV each measure about 17', so a 35' or so site is usually good. Site size ratings sometimes seem to be approximations, to add to the confusion.

4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My pup is a 12ft box but somwhere around 25 ft opened. Go big ! plus dont forget you need room for your tv as well

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

How big are the beds on it ... The front bed wont add much if anything to the length as it slides out over the tongue, so the only additional feet added to the overall length would be the rear bed....

Best thing to do is fully set up the trailer and then take overall measurements, length and width if you have a slide out dinette...

6. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

I would go for the 40 foot lot. You won't be sorry to have the extra room.

7. skiball

skiball New Member

Go for the big one. Our camper has a 12' box too (Coleman Westlake) and it is almost 25' long when open. Like someone else said. You also need room for your TV...

8. wcasey5

wcasey5 New Member

They are probably looking at the length of your set up unit so it won't be too large for the site, if what you are describing is a range of values between 14 and 40 feet. For instance, I have a jayco with a 10 foot box, set up it is around 20 feet, so that's what I choose.

9. bondebond

bondebond New Member

The problems I run into are the online reservation or phone reservation systems that ask your trailer length and then determine what sized site to put you into. I generally don't camp at any of those types of places anymore but I had to go with 26 feet as my camper size. The PUP may have a 14' box on it but when it is open, it is 2" shy of 26' before adding space for the TV.

10. kozmos

kozmos New Member

The only 2 states we've booked online were looking for for trailer (opened) plus TV. There seems to be wiggle room with the PU since the bunk end can hang over the allotted pad space with the TV on it. The online reservation sites I've experienced typically deal with hard sided RVs so our pup can fit on a much smaller space if we're looking for hookups.

11. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Take the bigger site.... many campsite reservations now ask for unit type, length and some even ask for slide out numbers to determine which sites will work best with your camper. Our camper is over 23 feet long when open and with the slide out dinnette is prob about 10 feet wide (maybe a bit more... havent measured).
    More room is better than not enough. We booked a site for July in Custer that is 95 feet long! We can't wait! [PU]

12. camping dad

camping dad New Member

The bigger the better for me! Gives us more yard space for setting up and playing games!

13. mthorsen11

mthorsen11 New Member

I've have always gone with the bigger site just to make sure to have enough room for the extras TV, canopy (for the outdoor kitchen), bikes etc...

14. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

Well, I booked the 40ft site for this Sat - Wed. There were more of those sites to pick from and you cannot choose your specific site until you arrive.

15. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

With my 10' box (opens to 21') I try not to get anything smaller than 30 feet. Most places I can back the PUP's tires all the way to the parking curb at the end of the pad, which gives me about 7' of overhang. I think I grabbed a 35' for this year's rally.

16. TCwheels

TCwheels "All who wander are not lost..."

Hmmm...guess I'm the exception. I go for smallest site I can squeeze on, CGs size usually refers to pad size and I like less pavement/gravel and more nature.