What size Gray/Black Holding tank do you have

jamwius

Aug 15, 2011
This is for people who have a shower and toilet in their popup. I need to get a bigger Gray/Black holding tank for the popup and wondering what size to get. It came with an 11 gallon but with 2 daughters and myself it filled up quickly just from washing dishes and using the toilet. No showers. I was thinking of getting an LX35 Thetford which is 35 gallons but when it is full it says it will be over 250 lbs. It does come with wheels but worried that dragging it through the grass to hook it to the ball on the truck will be difficult. So just wondering what other people do. Thanks!

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
I am impressed that you actually have a gray water holding tank on an '06. Is it permanently installed?

My PUP has an actual black holding tank which only holds 6 gallons and is the base for the toilet. The gray water has no holding tank but both share a common outlet connection with the standard 3" bayonet sewage fitting.

I added a Barker's blue Tote-a-long that is the 15 gallon "low profile camper" tote. I made a carrier under the rear bumper to hold it when travelling.

The blue tote stays connected when we're camping and the valve for the gray water stays open. I will shut the valve as needed and go dump the tote. Fifteen gallons at 8.3 pounds/gallon plus the 17 pounds of the tote is 141 pounds. It's awkward and not easy to handle, and I've had to load it into the back of my TV to haul it 3 miles away to the only dump station in the surrounding area.

Personally, I would caution against a large tote. That's just me.

Also, I would suggest a shift in your paradigm of how you use water. This last weekend, we loaded up the 26 gallons of water (holding tank + water heater) and took off. When I dumped the 15 gallon tote, it was about half full. My DW and DD (6) aren't afraid to use the water but have adjusted down to only what it takes to get the job done. DS is a miracle of water conservation as he never goes near the stuff to clean up - typical 8 year old boy... Just like taking "navy showers", we do "navy dishwashing". You generally don't need to fully submerge dishes to wash them. When I do dishes, I put the soap on the sponge, squirt some water on the item and run the sponge over it. Then I rinse everything at once or in batches, letting the water run down on the rest of the dishes and start to wash away the soap. I can clean up after a meal with about 4-6 cups of water total. That took a while for us to sort of retrain how we use water when not on a sewer hookup, which we rarely ever see.

And to my recollection, the shower has only ever been used twice in the time we've owned the PUP.

Also, I decided that I did not want to ever use my blue tote for the black water. If it is only gray water, it requires less care in some regards. Because of several factors, I even separated the gray water outlet away from the black so I don't even use the same hose or connections. The one on the right is the new gray outlet.

medium.jpg

With that, I then have to get in line on pull-out day and dump at the dump station or do like I did this last weekend and just pull the PUP up to the clean-out at home and dump straight into my septic system. At no more than 6 gallons of sewage, it will not have a big impact on my septic system.

Talonman

Aug 1, 2012
Ours has a 12 gallon black and a 6 for the sink and a 6 for the shower.

The sink and shower will fill on a long enough trip but I have yet to fill the 12 gallon black, dude that's a lot of black for us to fill up!

I was going to replace the sink grey with a larger tank but looks like a hybrid in my future so wont do it yet, but if I was keeping it I would buy a new tank and mount that thing to replace the old one as I have zero interest in hauling anything around the campground. I can't remember the website but it was the OEM for the tanks and have all the sizes and stuff, pick the one that will fit and swap it.

I am a fan of keeping it all stock looking and totes are not for me.

TX_F2

Super Active Member
Mar 30, 2008
Texas
We have a 2008 Fleetwood Niagara that has 3 built in holding tanks:

Gray Tank: 20 gallons

Black Tank: 9 gallons

Fresh Water Tank: 20 gallons

(HW Heater: 6 gal)

If camping for more than a week at a time without full hookups, I also have a 27 gallon 4 wheeled Thetford SmartTote:

smart-tote-new.jpg

Mickeyrv

Week day camping is great
Jul 22, 2012
TX_F2 said:
We have a 2008 Fleetwood Niagara that has 3 built in holding tanks:

Gray Tank: 20 gallons

Black Tank: 9 gallons

Fresh Water Tank: 20 gallons

(HW Heater: 6 gal)

If camping for more than a week at a time without full hookups, I also have a 27 gallon 4 wheeled Thetford SmartTote:

smart-tote-new.jpg

I have the same tank capacities on my TT. I just ordered a 25 gallon # 25608 tote n store tank with the wheels and the other items. PPL in Texas has these on sale with 9.99 s/h. I got my 25 gallon for 126.99 total. They have a 32 gallon # 25609 I Ordered mine on 7-18 and it shipped to arrive on 7-25. 1-800-775-4775 select the parts dept. I forgot the web site address so they can tell you and then you can find them on line if your interested.

jamwius

Aug 15, 2011
bondebond said:
I am impressed that you actually have a gray water holding tank on an '06. Is it permanently installed?

My PUP has an actual black holding tank which only holds 6 gallons and is the base for the toilet. The gray water has no holding tank but both share a common outlet connection with the standard 3" bayonet sewage fitting.

I added a Barker's blue Tote-a-long that is the 15 gallon "low profile camper" tote. I made a carrier under the rear bumper to hold it when travelling.

The blue tote stays connected when we're camping and the valve for the gray water stays open. I will shut the valve as needed and go dump the tote. Fifteen gallons at 8.3 pounds/gallon plus the 17 pounds of the tote is 141 pounds. It's awkward and not easy to handle, and I've had to load it into the back of my TV to haul it 3 miles away to the only dump station in the surrounding area.

Personally, I would caution against a large tote. That's just me.

Also, I would suggest a shift in your paradigm of how you use water. This last weekend, we loaded up the 26 gallons of water (holding tank + water heater) and took off. When I dumped the 15 gallon tote, it was about half full. My DW and DD (6) aren't afraid to use the water but have adjusted down to only what it takes to get the job done. DS is a miracle of water conservation as he never goes near the stuff to clean up - typical 8 year old boy... Just like taking "navy showers", we do "navy dishwashing". You generally don't need to fully submerge dishes to wash them. When I do dishes, I put the soap on the sponge, squirt some water on the item and run the sponge over it. Then I rinse everything at once or in batches, letting the water run down on the rest of the dishes and start to wash away the soap. I can clean up after a meal with about 4-6 cups of water total. That took a while for us to sort of retrain how we use water when not on a sewer hookup, which we rarely ever see.

And to my recollection, the shower has only ever been used twice in the time we've owned the PUP.

Also, I decided that I did not want to ever use my blue tote for the black water. If it is only gray water, it requires less care in some regards. Because of several factors, I even separated the gray water outlet away from the black so I don't even use the same hose or connections. The one on the right is the new gray outlet.

medium.jpg

With that, I then have to get in line on pull-out day and dump at the dump station or do like I did this last weekend and just pull the PUP up to the clean-out at home and dump straight into my septic system. At no more than 6 gallons of sewage, it will not have a big impact on my septic system.

The 11 gallon tank I mentioned before is a tote and is not permanently installed but want to replace it with a bigger one and wondering what others have. With only having the 11 gallon I can wait and dump the toilet at the dump station when I pull out.

I liked your mod that separated the gray and black drains and now am thinking of doing the same to mine.

I think I will still get a bigger tote but will remember that when it is getting close to full and it's the last day that I can always empty the toilet when I leave the campsite at the dump station.

I am looking at getting the Thetford LX27 which is 27 gallons and has the sewer hose built in. Plus it has the handle that will hook to the ball of the TV so I won't have to lift it.

It looks like a nice model what do others think?