What? Stabilizers down after the top is up?

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by MyName, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, i found all my paperwork in my camper, including the brochures, way cool.

As for the stabs, the colman lift system is conected to the frame, if you over crank a stabilizer it can cause resistance when lifting the top. This is not to say it will, but can. So why take a chance? You are of course good to do what you want, but for me , i dont want to maybe have to do a repair. I have enough stuff to do!

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Surprising what's available online these days if you just take the time to look. [;)]

3. BedHead

BedHead Member

There are probably a lot of things in the owners manual we don’t remember. We bought it in 2008. Maybe we read that and then forgot? I dunno. My point is, reading this thread on here was an eye opener for me and I learned something and now I am smarter than I was before I read it. I’ve camped in pop ups all my life and set up probably thousands of times and always done it by putting the stabilizers down first. Now I know better, at least for the one we have now.

4. bob414

bob414 Member

Stabilizing jacks are not designed for leveling or changing tires? But they are mounted on the frame. If I can't use the frame to raise the camper, where do I place the jack for changing the tire. I read somewhere do not use axle because it could be bent.

I positioned my jack on the frame, at the point just behind the leaf spring joint, to repack wheel bearings. However, stabilizing jacks are not near the axle and could cause some twisting, but the frame should be able to handle that without permanent damage, unless stored that way for long period. Where is my thoughts going wrong?
    Bob

5. GreyFox

Do what your owner's manual says.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Use the axle. If the weight of the camper was going to bend the axle, it would do it before you jack it up.

I put the jack on the point where the axle and springs are bound together.

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I can guarantee you page 29 of my manual doesn't say that. And I can also guarantee you a different page it says to put the stabs DOWN first.

Hint: Not everyone here has a Coleman/Fleetwood. And not all brands have the same instructions.

durhamcamper likes this.
  8. GreyFox

What has my reply which was clearly addressed to Bedhead about her Fleetwood popup got to do with you and your Palomino?? [?:~{]

9. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

YMMV, you may find that using the axle pushes the wheel too far up in the wheel well to get the wheel off. My Niagara is like this. My Bayport was also like that, but I put a new overslung 3500lb axle on it which fixed the problem.

10. G T

G T Member

That is the most intelligent reply. I am realizing after reading so many posts that not every popup came with the same instructions. Now that I have finally found the manual for my '95 (thanks to a member) it tells me to use the axle to jack it up to change tires, etc. and in BOLD letters says never raise or lower camper with jacks down.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

12. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

This reminds me of the Ann Landers controversy over which way the toilet paper roll should unwind.

1380ken and Caravaner like this.
  13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

oops