What supplies needed for new HTT

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by cfmx, Jan 15, 2014.

1. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Our Roo 233S is on order with an estimated delivery for mid March. With that in mind I would like to start buying the what will be needed for it.
    It will come w/ the standard starter kit (sewer hose, drinking hose, tp, tank drop in, propane, battery).
    But what else will I need?? I have looked online and see so many goodies. Here is a list of what I'm thinking.
    RV Leveling Blocks
    BAL X-Chock
    Making my own gizmos for all beds
    Leveling Scissor Jack Socket
    Lead-Free High Flow Water Regulator
    Brass 90° Lead-Free Hose Saver
    Water filter
    Vinyl tire protectors
    Plastic Sewer Hose Support (how long??)
    Do we need RV Easy Slip Sewer Elbow and 4-in-1 Adapter? What about the clear adapters so you can see if the tank is clean???
    We already have an outside patio mat. And most of the stuff for inside the camper unless you can think of something specific to a hybrid that would be needed.
    I would like to start purchasing these items a little at a time. :)
    Also thinking about a cover even though it will be under a pole barn.
    Another question off topic is what do you do to keep mice out of your camper?? My friends where the camper will be stored has a camper and has had mice in theirs. They have livestock which means feed out by the barn.
    Should we keep mice traps around the camper or is there something we can spray the bottom of the camper w/ to deter them. Also I assume we will need to foam in any holes under the camper where pipes and wire may leave an opening.
    Thanks!!!!!

2. efehser

efehser New Member

RockyRoo and I believe FritzMonroe have the 233s and are veritable founts of knowledge. Good people to ask.

From reading the literature I believe the Roo's have an on-board water filter

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Don't get in a rush to buy lots of "stuff" ..

These "free" items will be fairly cheap and most of them you'll want to replace, don't hurry in doing so, just be aware that you will want to replace them. Most important thing to replace will be the water pressure regulator (if the starter kit comes with one), replace it with a brass unit as most times the free ones are plastic..

I would recommend buy one or two bags of the lynx levelers as they can be used for so much more then just leveling the low side tires. http://www.lynxlevelers.com/newtest/new_index.php

While many here may disagree, I'd skip buying these and make your own set of between tire chocks along with regular chocks, use the regular chocks in conjunction with the between the wheel chocks..
    http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums/f26/wheel-chocks-homemade-75.html

If you handy with a sewing machine go for it...

Those are NOT leveling jacks (very seldom a HTT has leveling jacks) they are stabilizers to help stabilize and remove "wiggle" from the trailer.. If they don't have them, get sand pads installed on the stabs as it will help distribute the load on soft surfaces..

As I stated above, most starter kits come with a plastic one, but you'll want to replace it with a brass one..

I have one of these and very seldom use it...

We use an in-line filter that screws onto the garden hose.. it also comes with a short piece (6-8 inches) of spring wrapped hose to connect to the tap spigot..

While a good idea, you may find them had to install, I have a cheap set of cotton wheel covers I picked up at harbor Freight. When in storage I made two panels (one for each side) that slide into the wheel wells and covers things..

Unless your going to be using full service sites or be parking the trailer on a permanent site I would save the money and use it towards something else..

I have a 90 degree sewer elbow and that's about it.. I do wish the 90 was clear, as I think we have a slight black tank issue.. As for other adapters and that have a few, but never used them...

A couple small note pads and pencils to make notes on things you need/want or forgot ...

Avoid leaving non canned food in the trailer through the camping season and remove all food after the season...

Yes , seal up all openings ... this may be harder to do if your HTT has an enclosed under belly..

4. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Congrats on getting the hybrid, the girls must be excited.
    I agree on the home made wheel chocks. Some cut 4x4s and a threaded rod works perfect for me.
    blankets and pillows dedicated for the camper that you can leave in there.
    We do have one of the clear 90 degree elbows and I like to see when the "stuff" runs through. Get some disposable gloves.

Snow mentions a camping "season." Lol
    heading to Lake Kissimmee S.P. today.
    Here in Florida, we camp year round. [:D]

5. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I'd wait and use the camper a few times, its real easy to buy stuff you do not need and will not use.

From your list I would get;

2 or 3 bags of lynx levelers.

I prefer the Bal X chocks, just check the Roo before buying. It has torsion axles and I have heard of others who have had clearance problems using between tire chocks.

Water pressure regulator is a must.

Quality sewer hose kit with all the adapters you mention.

Gizmos, super high wind version. If you can make them thats great. I just spent July to Dec working in your state (Palm Bay) and I could not Imagine being there in a HTT, in the sun, without them. I don't know how they can be made and be as good or cheaper than buying them, but I can't sew either.

A lot depends on how you camp. We camp mostly at a State PArk here in PA that only has electric hookups. I don't need the freshwater stuff and only a short section of sewer hose for using at the dump station.

6. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

X CHock is very tight squeeze. I would recommend either of these instead: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/bal-wheel-chock/5623 or these http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/wheel-stop-chock/29163 or even these http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/fastway-onestep-tandem-axle-wheel-chock/57758

A weight distribution hitch and a sway bar have made for a more pleasant towing experience.

Our Roo came with an on board water filter located inside the compartment with the water pump and water heater. In line water filters that go on hose can be picked up at walmart if your camper does not come with an onboard water filter.

Some area rugs (rubber backed) for on the floor where you will sit. And a nubbier mat for inside the entry door, this keeps most of the big dirt from being tracked all over inside.

We found a beautiful, brand new cover for our roo, online via craigslist. And paid only 1/3 regular price.

There are 3 of us, 2 adults and a teenager: We like having a folding chair for the end of the table, so that we all have elbow room when eating at the table inside the camper, or playing cards( less eyeballing each others cards when you are each on a different side.

7. justcope01

justcope01 New Member

Great idea on the homemade lock-in chocks! Thanks Snow. I'm definately gonna make these.

8. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

From one 233S owner to another, I think you might be getting a little ahead of yourself. Get the Roo, move your permanent stuff from the pup to the Roo, then go from there. When we got ours, we immediately moved all of the cooking and linens over to the Roo. We bought new sheets for the 3 beds, have a full compliment of kitched supplies stocked at all times, it's fully stocked with towels and clothes for the bath and kitchen, and each bed has several blankets stocked on the shelf above.

As for the rest, what kind of camping do you intend to do? SP? Resort? Seasonal site? We do mostly State Parks, so after 2 seasons we are still using the cheap blue drain host that came with it for dumps at the end of our trips. The water fill hose and original regulator work just fine since we don't have water hookups, I have never actually used the regulator, just use the hose occasionally to fill the tank at the fill station.

Leveling blocks, I would keep an eye on walmart to put Lynx blocks on sale, I carry 2 bags with me, Walmart was the cheapest price I found when they put them on sale. I also carry 2 long slabs of 3/4 plywood and 4 smaller squares of 3/4 plywood. I use the plywood for a solid base on sandy sites, then the lynx on top of that. You won't be sorry you carry it. fyi, fits nicely in the outside access under the dinette.

Bal X Chock, get a 2 pack. Some people will tell you you only need one, I will tell you from experience you want 2 on this rig. you won't be sorry. This is the best one to use as you have VERY limited space between the tires: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/x-chock-tire-locking-chock-2-pack/49876

Gizmo's, if you can sew, great! If not, Super High Wind Gizmo's are not overly expensive. Also, get a roll of either reflectix or r-foil if you can find it and cut yourself some inserts for the windows. They make a huge difference.

Scissor jack socket, a MUST HAVE. Personally, I just got a 3/8's drill adaptor and use the 19mm socket out of my toolbox.

Not sure what the hose saver is that you speak of, but I haven't found a need for one yet

Your Roo already has a built in water filter inside the front compartment with the water pump, no need to add a second one. Just unscrew the door that doesn't open and you will see it. Replace the cartridge every spring and you are good to go.

I cover my tires in storage, you probably want covers down there more than I need them here.

Plastic sewer hose support: If you are not parking permanently or using a permanent sewer hookup of some sort I don't see a need for this.

Not sure what the easy slip adapter thingy is you reference, not likely NEEDED, but I do like my clear adapter, it makes it much easier to tell when everything is out and done flowing.

As for the cover, if I was lucky enough to keep mine in a barn I probably wouldn't bother. Getting the cover on and off is not the easiest thing in the world. Just get up there and clean the roof once or twice a year and you will be fine, no need to cover it if it's in an enclosed facility. In fact, now that I think about it, if it's stored inside, you probably don't really need tire covers either since they won't be getting beat up by the sun most of the time.

Congrats on your purchase, you are going to love your 233S. Depending on your tv, you will likely want a WDH if you don't already have one. Other than that, I can not stress enough, just take your time and take possession of it before you go out and blow a bunch of money on it that you might not need to. A couple trips with it will tell you what you need. A notepad and pencil is a great idea.

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Two eight foot ladders, one ten foot plank and you can clean do 1/4 of the roof at a time. Lots of fun...

10. esgordon123

esgordon123 New Member

I just get up there with a car wash brush and mop it like the kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

You can get up on those roofs, but if you want to keep the roof in good shape for a long time, stay off of it.
    Those flexible vinyl / epdm roofs move when you put lots of weight on them. Pressure causes stress along the edges and any penetrations like the skylight/ AC / vents and may cause separation of the caulking and leaks.
    While pics show people on the roofs of HTT's and TT's to show how strong they are, it's not a good idea to be up there if you can avoid it.
    Let alone with a sloped roof like mine has, soapy water and standing on a slippery surface may not be a good idea for my health.

12. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

A lot of good info here. A lot of different opinions. Here's my [2C]

I prefer locking blocks like Lynx to just wood. I've seen wood slide when stacked. If you drill holes and pin blocks together with nails you'll probably save some aggrevation. I like the Anderson leveler concept, just a little pricey.

Couple of times I've forgotten to put the BAL X-Chocks in and I've felt more wiggle.

The socket for the stabilizers is just a standard socket and a socket to drill adapter. For the first couple of trips I raided my toolbox for them but finally bought the combo and keep it in the drill case. Very handy, DS much prefers (as do I) to use the drill.

My first brass regulator lasted 10 years, it now leaks where it attaches to the faucet. The dealer included a good brass one and that is now in use.

I find water filters a mixed blessing. I keep ours in the house fridge when not in use to slow any bacterial growth but I often forget it on trips. I originally bought it for one CG that had a MAJOR sulpher smell the water. Didn't help.

Every now and then I wished I had a sewer hose support when the flow is uphill to the drain. I allow stuff to accumulate in the tanks and dump as needed when sewer is on-site. This is particularly important on the black since you want the fluids to carry the solids out. The sewer hose the dealer gave us was the opposite of the water regulator, absolute junk. Invest in a good quality one, it will wear and you'll be able to see it going bad before it retires in the most messy way possible [:O]

I have the clear 45 degree tank adapter and flusher as well as the 90 degree easy slip. The easy slip is very useful. Once I was not able to use the 45 degree adapter as the back of the HTT was very low to level it. It is nice to hear and see that the tanks are empty/clean.

What I wish I had was a slide topper. I've been debating if I want to install it myself. They are not that expensive but the labor to install is what kills you.

13. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I am in 100% agreement with that statement. They like to say they are walk on roofs as it looks good on the brochure. I was on my previous HTT a bunch of times, it was a solid laminated roof much like the Roo's except flat, and I have been on the new HTT a couple of times, which is a conventional metal rafter roof. No matter what its made of, when you get on it a lot you'll get movement and movement is not good. I'd try and stay off as much as possible.

Good advice, even if your set up seasonal you do not want to connect to the sewer and leave your dump valve open. The correct way is let the tank fill to at least 2/3 then dump or you risk building Mt PooPoo in your tank, then you'll have one poopy problem.

Although I have never installed one, if the two 12 yr olds at Beckleys that installed mine can do it, so can I and so can you. Go for it gets my vote.

14. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Thanks everyone for the advise!!!!!
    Sounds like I'll wait on a lot of the stuff. But there is agreement on needing leveling blocks, x-chock, clear adapter and better sewer hose.
    Think I like the idea of using sheet of plywood to protect the wheels when not in use during camping trips. I feel we still need them even though the camper will be stored under a pole barn. There are no sides on the pole barn, just a roof. Which is the reason I'm thinking about covering still. But will wait on it.

Very excited today because we finally got to see a Roo 233s in person. Went to the Florida RV Show and found one. Now I can't wait to go camping!!!
    Already booked first trip end of March close to home and then trips every month till Nov. [CP]

With this camper being so light I think we are going to pull it home from the dealer to see how it handles behind V8 5.7L Tundra before deciding on WDH and/or Sway-bar. My father-in-law pulls a very heavy 24' Grady White boat (much heavier than the camper) and it doesn't squat his Tundra at all.

15. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Congrats on the hybrid! Can't wait to see you and it at the FL Rally's. No excuses not to come!

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

17. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Congrats on your hybrid. We really love our 233S.

For the stuff, as some others have said, don't get a bunch of stuff before you use it. See waht you actually need.

We bought the BAL X-Chock and it works very well. As Rocky has said, the space between the tires is very limited. The "old" model of this chock doesn't fit. But the X-Chock works well. We also have 2 bags of Lynx levelers. That's the minimum you'll need for leveling side to side.

You may want to pick up some scrap 6x6 if you can find it. You can use this under the tongue jack so you don't have to run the jack up so high.

18. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Congrats on your new trailer, when we moved to the darkside a couple years ago, I bought a trailer cover, AC cover ( cover the AC unit when not in use to keep the plastic clean and keep leaves and debris out when stored ), Maxair II vent cover ( cover the washroom vent so that the vent can be left open in the rain ), tire covers, trailer wheel lock, Coupler lock, entry mat, carpet runner for the floor in front of the sofa, RV friendly toilet paper, tool kit, broom and dustpan, bedding, mattress topper, hangers, flashlights, BBQ lighters, dishes, pots and pans, x chock, lynx leveling blocks, awning mat, chem for toilet, cabinet and drawer liners, utensils, cutting board, 3000 watt Honda Invertor generator ( not the contract kind ), wheel ramp (made for tandem axle RV) for changing tire and wrench. Easier than jacking it up.

19. cfmx

cfmx New Member

So most of you have agreed we need more than 1 pack of leveling blocks. I noticed the Lynx comes in a 4 & 10 pack. Are you using 3 packs of 4 or 3 packs of 10?
    10 pack is $31 and 4 is $15 on Amazon.

20. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I have 2 10 packs and may get a third