What temps can you camp in?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Enigmacamper, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

Hey ya'll, We're not wanting to pack the camper up for winter, I'm trying to figure out how long we can go comfortably. We have an Aliner Scout so NO propane heater, we use a small electric radiator style heater and last week it got us from mid 40's up to 70.

If it goes below 32 degrees will we have plumbing freezing issues? All it has is a city intake and a sink drain. Does anyone have tips or a heater that works in more extreme temps? I have a baby as well so I cannot just "bundle up", I would need to actually get the ambient temp high enough so everyone is warm enough.

ETA- our heater was pretty much maxed out by the mid 40's so if it gets colder I'll need to find another that works better. Also worth note, with two kids safety considerations are paramount with heaters [:D]...open flame type would not work for us ;).

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

That's odd. I had a cheap ceramic heater from Lowes and it kept my PUP warm and comfortable down to the low 30's. It wasn't 72 in the PUP, but it was decidedly warm. I'm not sure what kind of electric heater you have or what temp you consider warm in the A-liner.

If you have water in the system, and the temp falls below freezing for an extended period of time, then yes, it can freeze. If water is in a confined space and has no place to go, as it freezes it will expand. So, water in the faucets and hoses would likely crack at certain spots, sure. But, if you keep some heat on, you can mitigate that risk some. IF you're talking about camping in the 20's, water will freeze in the outside city water hose anyway unless you have invested in a heated hose.

You can also add electric blankets or electric mattress pads to stay warm as you sleep. They do really well.

Best of luck.

KamperKel and Rik Peery like this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

. We have an Aliner Scout so NO propane heater, we use a small electric radiator style heater and last week it got us from mid 40's up to 70.
    Use another electric heater. The small ceramic heaters work good and don't take up any space

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Several brands of "cool to the touch" heaters out there that feature overheating & tip over protection, some w/ timers etc...

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

This is kind of a loaded question with no real set of answers because what is comfortable to some is downright cold to others. My cousin thinks 55 is very warm and will have no problem about an inside temperature being that "cold". I on the other hand can live with inside temps low to 60's and be comfortable with just a sweatshirt. My family in Florida needs it in the 70's anything colder is winter coat time.
    I personally can camp down to low 30's and be comfortable especially if it warms up to above freezing in the afternoon. Using a cheap ceramic electric heater warming up a traditional popup. The inside temp were in the 60's but I was comfortable in a sweater. My niece who used to camp with me more often loves it when it was cool because it gives her the excuse to cuddle in her warm fuzzy blanket, grant you when she was a toddler she hated sheets/blankets and so she complained she was cold ALL the time. If she didn't kick them off dispite us telling her not too she would have been warm. I personally winterize my camper and still continue camping just using jugs of water. I don't want to risk damage even more so as I have a hot water heater, outside shower, etc. too much piping under my camper for me willing to risk it.

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

We have camped in late June in the White Mountains in NH and have had the temp go down to the 30s with no heat. Lots of blankets and a big fire in the morning.

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We used to camp in the winter months all the time here in Northern Neck Virginia... Granted it doesn't get too cold here and if it does freeze over at night it all all melts as soon as the sun comes up the next morning.

We do the 12V Air Compressor with no tank blow out method through the city water port and open the low point drain port under the trailer. Opening the sink HOT and COLD faucets we can also drain down our hot water heater 90% as well doing this... Only takes a few minutes for our small water setup in the OFF-ROAD POPUP.

After draining everything through the low drain port I will add just a dab of the pink stuff to my one sink drain trap.

Then we can add water the next day in our ONE fresh water tank. I haven't lost anything yet doing this method...

If we are at an electric camp site will run our low profile oil-filled heater all night. If off grid will run our MR BUDDY Heater until we go to bed at night and then just get under the covers. My last resort is to use the Propane fired Furnace but it drains on the battery big running the 12VDC Blower setup. This runs us out of our small trailer - way to big for our small floor layout... I have two sleeping bag zipped together as a top bed cover. If it gets too cold we can always zip up in the sleeping bag...

Back in my trail hiking days use to get under this simple tent setup along the trail and get inside my sleeping bag.... Makes that first morning cup of fresh ground and brewed bean coffee taste ever so good haha...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Of course if it was a much colder environment I would probably do it differently...

I like the idea of setting up in the back yard to experiment with things before getting way back in the woods somewhere trying new things...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Lol, spent many years crashing under a poncho hooch, both w/ Uncle Sammy & as a civy...had a crap load of C rat coffee/matches/toilet paper/Chiclets/ packets I saved, still have one I'll never use...down mummy sack & a poncho liner kept me from freezing in cold weather, them days are GONE...

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Many folks will winterize their trailer and then continue to camp using bottled water.

One thing to remember is that heat rises. In my clipper, I sleep in the cabover bed. It is the highest point of the camper, so if I run a heater, it keeps my sleeping area nice and warm, but the rest of the camper is significantly lower. Even in 30 degree temps, I'm pushing covers off me during the night.

With an A-liner, you have beds lower down with more space above than other trailers. So you have to first warm up that space up above, then it will slowly move down. A small 12v fan up above can help move the air so the heat doesn't coagulate up above (like a ceiling fan).

As long as you have electrical hookups you can use an electric heater. You want it to be at the lowest point in your trailer so the heated air moves upward. If the heater is sitting on a counter above the beds, thwn it will be less effective at making you warm.

Heated mattress pads are wonderful. I stopped using electric blankets years ago. The heat from the pad is below you, so it rises and gets trapped by your covers surrounding you in heat. The heat from a blanket is above you, so it rises and if you don't have something covering it, it will move out into the air. There are 12v blankets and mattress pads available. They won't heat up as much as 120v ones, but can help keep the chill away.

Without electrical hookups, you are more limited. You can use the above if you have a big enough battery bank AND a generator to recharge as needed. You can use a propane heater like a Mr. Buddy. If you go with a heater, you can turn it on for an hour or so to take the chill out of the air before bed and upon waking rather than run it all night. I have one and I set it in the sink when in use. That prevents the dogs from knocking it over. Since you have little ones and they are your biggest concern, you or your spouse can get up and light the heater before they wake, so they wake to a warmer camper. The right blankets help too. Cuddle Duds makes a great comforter - it's lightweight but holds in your warmth well. I can often sleep under that with no blanket. With a blanket, it really keeps you warm. And it's soft soft soft.

10. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

We won't have electric this weekend. Temps are pretty nice. Low's in the 30s, highs in the 60s a couple days and one day highs in low 40s. Furnace will keep the camper warm enough (50ish). Lowest we camped in our PUP was 28 at night. It was 50 in the camper and we were all comfy with a few extra blankets and clothes. For me it's during the day when the cold sets in. All day in the 40s gets cold if you are not constantly moving.

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

While we live in Florida, we camp in January and February when sometimes the night time temps go below freezing. We have no furnace in our pup and rely on an oscillating electric space heater or the heat strip in our a/c. It keeps us warm, and our definition of warm is at least mid 70's. I am surprised an electric heater would not keep an A-frame warm, with the solid walls.

12. Toedtoes

Depends on the heater. Some of those little ceramic heaters are dinky dinky and can't warm up a bathroom.

Orchid likes this.
  13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That's true. We had a square one at first, and even bought a second one for the other end. Took so much power that one of them had to be on it's own cord to the site power box. Then I got a tall, oscillating one from Amazon that heats the entire camper, no problem. It's strange because they are listed as the exact same wattage. I don't know if the oscillating makes the difference or what.

14. Toedtoes

I have one of those oscillating ones too. With the remote control. Works great.

I'm not sure why they work better. Maybe due to the shape, or the height?

Orchid likes this.
  15. Enigmacamper

Ok this has actually been pretty helpful. We are hoping to take a probably last trip in November, since were getting down in the temps seems the best thing would be to winterize the water intake and use a jug over the sink. We do that regularly when there's no water hookup anyway so no big issue.

Sounds like our heater is just underpowered. If folks can heat canvas pups with electric heaters surely the solid walls can heat more, looks like I need to look into these ceramic ones. Mine is just a hot oil radiator type.

16. Enigmacamper

Good point, for us the baby seems comfortable down to maybe 65 at the lowest, I wouldn't want to go any colder than that this year.

17. Enigmacamper

I need to figure out how to do this, we've never winterized it, but I know I don't like the pink stuff at ALL...I've heard it can be done with an air compressor...and we have one, I'm just not sure how.

18. Toedtoes

19. Enigmacamper

I love them at home but I think one issue is, the camper is so small you open the door and whoosh, there goes your warm air, then your radiator has to slowly heat it all back up again. Though this was a low wattage one (specifically to try to not strain our amperage) and it just doesn't seem up to the task. I really like the oscillating idea because I like the air moving in there, having the heater do it is a bonus.

20. Enigmacamper

Just looked it up, mine is a 700watt heater. I guess that is pretty small.