What time do you leave on Sunday?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Dback2k4, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

What time do you leave on sundays?

My neighbor started packing up this morning and was gone before I even got up. By 10AM, 2/3 of the campground was vacated.

I'm more of a 3-4pm kind of guy, depending on how far of a drive I have home. Most of the state parks are relaxed about check out time on Sundays as long as there's no big event starting Monday like a county fair or RAGBRAI. I prefer to make breakfast, do some initial cleanup, then go hiking or kayaking in the early afternoon. Once I get back I relax a bit and spend a couple hours breaking camp, never in any hurry.

Its usually late when I arrive on Friday so it seems to me like leaving first thing Sunday morning is wasting half the weekend!

Just my two cents, of course. To each his own

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Orchid likes this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

For me it depends On how long my drive is or the expected weather to determine when I leave. I went to one state park and the checkout time was only 10:00 which I think is kind of stupid for a campsite. If I'm only a couple hours away, then I may stick around till lunch and pack up. I usually try to leave my entire day free so I can take my time. Sadly I am stuck working with constraints of my volunteer work, or dog sitter. Many state parks I've been to usually want you gone by 1 or 2. One private campground had a 3:30 checkout time with a 3:30 check in time which caused a couple traffic jams, but nice you were able to kickback and relax.

3. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

As above, all depends on where I'm heading that day, how far it is, and predicted traffic. I can't remember the last time we camped less than 3 hrs from home, so there is usually some driving to be done.

We also try to arrive on Sunday and camp the early part of the week when my work schedule permits. Drives me nuts when checkin time is 3pm, I arrive on the early side 3:15pm, and my reserved site is occupied with no signs of take down or people. Happened to me just recently. Family arrived back at the site around 5pm in no apparent hurry. Camp host had to tell them to leave. I spent 2 hours waiting for my site. I would have been happy to take another site but the camp host kept assuming they'd be back any minute and did not offer me another site...

4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

We primarily only go to Provincial Parks. The check in/out time is 2:00, but thats just for the site itself, you can use the park for the whole day. So I might start packing things up a little bit the night before, (because we've been there for 3 weeks and stuff is spread out everywhere), and finish up the next day by 2:00 right on. I don't want to come home and go back to work, I want to stay camping as long as possible. I will usually park the TV and Pup in the parking lot and head down to the beach for the rest of the day. Start heading home at maybe 6:00-7:00 PM. One Park is about a 6 hrs drive, so I will still leave that late in the day, get home at 1 or 2 AM, but have Monday booked off of work so I can sleep til mid morning, slowly unpack and store stuff, then head to work on Tues.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

On Sunday, we are usually leaving home to head out camping. All our trips begin on Sunday or Monday, and most often end on Friday. Occasionally, we stay two weeks, but more often one.

We always have a 2-5 hour trip home as those are the parks we frequent. We never leave early. We have never stayed past check out time (at our site,) but usually out with less than an hour to spare.

Regardless of where we are camping, we park our entire packed up rig in overflow or day use parking and stay until evening.

We do as much LIVING as we can. At our ages (50's) we are not quite seniors, but have seen plenty enough to know that tomorrow is never promised. We are never in a hurry to get home.

nhlakes likes this.
  6. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Check out time is 11:00 am at our Provincial parks. We usually check out early and are usually out by 9:30 am since we have to empty the waste tanks at the sani station. We didn’t have to worry about it when we had the pup...but having the on board amenities in our TT is worth it. We are mostly packed up the night before so all we have to worry about is the breakfast dishes and preparing the TT for towing. Most of the time, wife does the dishes while I am hooking the trailer to my truck.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Like Orchid I prefer to camp midweek. For departure as soon as it's light enough to see.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Regardless of my check out day, I leave at check out time if the campsite is reserved behind me. If it's not, I may stay a few extra hours but try to stay close to camp. And my take down is only about 5 minutes.

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I only camp during the week usually leave home on Monday about 11:30 AM. My favorite campground is only about 45 miles away and usually takes about an hour to arrive. When leaving I usually pack the outside up the afternoon before, and am usually out on check out day at around 10:00 AM. Check out time is 1:00 PM Being a farmer I like to get home early enough to check the goats, horses, donkeys, chickens etc. out.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

10. rich2

rich2 Active Member

We mostly camp in State Parks, luckily my wife and I have work schedules that allow us arrive mid-week, for two or three days we usually have the area to ourselves. Thenwe kick back and watch people trying to back into there sites on Friday evening...Saturday morning we pack up, after that we park in the day use area and enjoy fishing or swimming for the day.

Orchid and kcsa75 like this.
  11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We're often the last to leave. On Memorial Day, the entire loop was empty except us and one other camper by 11 a.m.

We camp almost exclusively at two lakes about an hour from home. Both have COE campgrounds where check out time is 6 p.m. and State Parks where we're supposed to be gone by 2.

Most of the time Sunday mornings involve coffee and breakfast then we take our time breaking camp. I like to be pulling out of the campsite between 2 and 3 p.m. We take the TT back to the storage shed then normally stop for something to eat on the way home and pull in the driveway sometime between 5 and 6 p.m. This gives me time to get unloaded, shower and relax a little before I have to start thinking about going back to work on Monday. [:)C]

12. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

It's always between 10:30 and 11. No matter when we start packing up, we never seem to get out of this 30 minute window. Since, most of the time, we are camped between 4 and 5 hours from home, leaving at that time gets us home in time to unpack the truck and start getting things going for the week ahead.

13. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

We usually start tearing down after breakfast. By the time we wash the dishes, pack up all the ancillary stuff, tear down, and hitch up, it's usually 10:30 or 11:00 a.m. We don't hurry, but we don't dilly dally either.

We typically have a 2 -3 hour drive and stop somewhere for lunch. We try to avoid traffic, but we often have to go on I-95 for at least part of the trip. I-95 is a bear on Sunday afternoons and evenings.

We usually get home mid-afternoon. Then we usually have 1 - 2 hours of unpacking stuff, getting laundry sorted, checking the mail, getting a few groceries, etc.

As much as I'd love to stay later, I'd be stressed getting home later. Leaving early makes me more relaxed when I get home because I have time to get organized. Yeah, I know. I'm pathetic!

14. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

If check out time is early as 10 or 11 am, we would take one more night and leave us a whole Sunday and take off before sunset.

15. Orchid

This is exactly how we handle Disney's Fort Wilderness. They have a ridiculous check out time of 11 am. We always reserve the following day and leave in the evening.

Katskamper likes this.
  16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Just curious, why is 11 am. a "ridiculous" checkout time?

17. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

An hour before check out time.

18. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Check out for us is usually 11am or 12pm. We get up, have breakfast, and start packing up. We have an 8ft pup and we have to play trailer Tetris to make everything fit in when we are packing up so it can take us a bit to get cleaned up and packed up. Especially when we are trying to keep the kids entertained.

19. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

The hosts at the state parks here in Iowa go around in the morning and put the new slips in the posts for the reserved spots, so if I know someone is going to be coming into my spot that same day (its never happened yet) I'm sure to be out before the check-out time.

20. Orchid

Only ridiculous to me. I like to sleep until 10:00.

In the case of Fort Wilderness, check-in time is 3:00 pm, so it really is a bit overkill. Plus, they don't have fire pits, so not much to clean.

shuang2, cyndib and kcsa75 like this.