What time do you leave on Sunday?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Dback2k4, Jun 3, 2018.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

We are always the last to leave! I take all day to brake camp! We are big fans of taking the extra day off on both sides of 3 day weekends for a 5 day vacation. This give us the option to stay for 1 more night or stay late Monday afternoon and get home whenever that night. Having all day Tuesday to unload & recoup from the trip.

Orchid likes this.
  2. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We're the odd ones out, apparently. Seems like we always wake early when camping. We generally start breaking camp as soon as we get up, sometimes we have breakfast before we leave, sometimes we'll stop & eat breakfast along the way. We're almost always on the road by 9:00 AM. That way, we get home at a decent hour, unload the TV, & kick back.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was thinking that you thought it was too early. If I leave at 8 am it's a late departure.

Orchid likes this.
  4. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

would love to have a later check out time, but usually it is 11, and the park needs to check the site before the next one comes in.

5. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

That's completely unheard of at every county and state park around here... I think that'd drive me crazy :)

6. Tylers88

Tylers88 New Member

I started packing up around 11:30 and was home eating pizza by 1, late morning seems to be my normal.

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The past two trips, the DW and I have been hooked up to pull out at 9:15am. There's absolutely no rushing, and it includes some cleaning, resetting for the next trip, and gathering all the stuff to go in. We're early risers anyway. It really has nothing to do with the checkout time for us, it's just time to get up, do our thing and get moving.

8. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Very rare that we would ever be packed and ready ahead of the check-out time. Our usual destinations have check-out at 11:00 or noon respectively. We don't usually do much preparing to break camp ahead of time, that just seems like work when we are there to relax. Departure day we will make breakfast, and then get into breaking camp, and packing up. Might clean dishes etc if there is time, but sometimes those travel home dirty and are dealt with later that day, and restocked in the pup sometime before next outing.

9. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

Indiana has a 5pm checkout on Sunday and holidays and 2pm other days. I only get the weekends to camp so utilize all day on Sunday. Normally we pack most everything up before heading out for the day but always pull out by checkout time. Only had an issue once. I was at Indiana dunes and we had new neighbors when we got back from the beach around 4pm. Had everything loaded up and ready to go from earlier in the day but started making a sandwich for the kids before hitting the road. The new neighbor came over huffing and said his brother had been waiting in the parking lot since 2 for us to leave. Since it was a Sunday I told him checkout is at 5. He told me to hurry up and leave so they could start their vacation. My response was I still have an hour left on my vacation. We were gone by 4:30 but part of me wanted to sit and stare back at them until 4:59 lol

Katskamper, PointyCamper and jnc like this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Never understood why so many people leave at the crack of dawn. In Minnesota, most campers are from the Twin Cities, and often we're only camping an hour or two away so there isn't a long drive. I get that people sometimes have afternoon commitments or something, but surely not everyone.

For us, we get up, cook a big hearty hot breakfast, then take our time tearing down, often stopping to do something like a hike or bike ride. We try to be packed up by about 11 (check-out time is usually noon), then our tradition is to drive to a nearby day use area and have a cold-lunch picnic. Often we'll linger, sometimes even pulling out yard games and/or letting the kids play at a playground. If we're home by 4 or 5 that's plenty early, sometimes we get home a little later.

11. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Camping *is* my kicking back lol. When I'm home that means I'll be doing projects or something :)

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Because my average trip is a 6 to 8 hour drive.

13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We are generally the last ones out of the park. I am getting better and tear down, but the longer trips are the worst for me as I bring more gear for those trips. I don't get up early in the morning when camping - I enjoy my sleep. We are generally eating breakfast around 830-9, and then start packing up after we get breakfast cleaned up. I will try and pre-pack the night before - clothing back into duffles, food into transport bins, pack up the electronics if they came, cooking gear packed up if it won't be used for breakfast, etc.

I generally only use state parks here in TX, check out time is usually around 1-2 pm, and for a Sunday departure they are pretty lenient. However - I still have to drive home and then pop it back up in order to fully unpack for cleaning, etc.

14. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Check out time at MN state parks is 4 pm, which is great, you can spend most of the day there. Unless we are heading somewhere, I prefer to spend as long as possible at the camp site. On longer trips, we often have to head out early - sometimes by 6 am if we have a long drive that day. Depending upon where you are at, it can actually help a lot with traffic if you are able to stay later in the day and get home in the evening - you miss most of the traffic.

Orchid likes this.
  15. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

parks i camp at have 2pm checkout & they are adamant about it, as sites are usually reserved. i was late getting out this last trip, & “seriously inconvenienced” next guest at that site. (4 hours of rain!)
    (they had $$$ commercial rig pulling a park mobile home)

so this next trip, i booked to stay thru Sunday.
    i can relax on sunday, play, swim & break down after 5pm & still be home before dark.

16. tfischer

I had forgotten about that. We still try to be off the site, or at least ready to tow it away, by noon, just so we don't have that looming over us... but it's nice to have the freedom to stay longer, and we often do.

17. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

I think it really depends on when and where you are.
    I'm a modified first shift, so I can come home late on Sunday without worry if we don't have get groceries.
    I try to be home by 8pm, as I want to still relax on Sunday.
    We camp all over, but I try not to be PACK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, though that can be hard once you start. Go with the flow.