What Time Do You Leave?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Gumbias, Mar 21, 2010.

1. stenke1

stenke1 New Member

We usually get up around 8, drink our coffee and slowly pack things up. We are normally pulling out around 9am.

2. RACERX

RACERX just wanted

depending on what the weather is like sometimes makes me leave early. but the attitude of the park ranger is what usally sets the time i leave. im not pulling out till a minute before checkout time. ive seen my home thats why i camp to get out of it. not in a hurry to get back.

3. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

I have often thought about doing the same thing. I absolutely hate packing up and heading out first thing in the morning. So, we usually try to pack up non-essential items the evening before we leave, then leisurely pack up the rest after breakfast on the last day. Check-out time is 1:00 at most campgrounds around here, and we're usually on the road between noon and 1. Since we almost always camp within 2 hours of home, we're back in plenty of time to unpack and get ready to face the "real world" again.

4. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I'll wait until the canvas is fully dry. We have high humidity, and high dew points during the summer in PA. Everything is soaked in the AM.

5. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

Most of the State Parks in NY have an 11am checkout time. I am usually up at the crack of dawn on the last day so I can get most things packed before everyone else wakes up, then I have some coffee, wake everyone up, finish packing and head out around 9am. I do this so I can beat the scramble to checkout and the line at the dump station. We usually stop at Tim Hortons or something and grab breakfast on the road.

1380ken likes this.
  6. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

It depends on the weather and drive time if i am close to home than its closer to noon

Rik Peery likes this.
  7. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

Count me in among those who pay for an extra night so that I can stretch camping out beyond the 1 p.m. state park checkout. It's a holdover from tenting days -- love to sit an watch everyone pack up and then enjoy the afternoon quiet before heading out.

8. cyndikate

cyndikate Believe it or not, we all fit!

Well, check out time is a firm 2pm at our favorite campground, and it generally takes us the whole morning to get packed up, especially if we had a few days to toss our stuff all around. Camping with seven or eight people can be pretty complex!

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

That is a good idea. The campgrounds we stay at have a check out at 11. Not sure how other campgrounds could have a much later check out as it must affect the check in time.

Pommom70 likes this.
  10. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC Member

Here in NC the check in time at state parks is 4pm. So the first day is setup camp and start supper right away, but that last day there is no reason to rush as you have all day to make you way out. The longer you wait the quieter the place gets :)

kcsa75 likes this.
  11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

My usual routine is normally wake up around 7, breakfast around 8/830. Then slowly pack things up , my job is usually cleaning up the outside putting things away and in its storage place. While DW sorts up the inside. Her role . I tend to like heading home no matter how far the drive. Roughly right before noon on average

12. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

I like to pack up as soon as possible after breakfast then leave at a leisurely pace, usually dictated by how long it takes to get home. Usually around lunch or so.

13. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

We used to tent camp with another couple, and her husband was always in a hurry to leave in fact she would be still sleeping in the tent and he'd be pulling up tent pegs. Man that made her mad! Me and the wife would take our time make breakfast pack up and head out around 10:30 or 11:00.

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. cyclop5

cyclop5 Active Member

What time is checkout? We're within 15 minutes +/- of that. Unless we're on our way to our final destination. Then it's like 9am or so.. but no hard-and-fast rule. We get up, shower, and have breakfast first. Of course, breakfast might be a piece of toast - or could be bacon and eggs.

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I usually pack most things, including the awning, outside tables etc. the night before leaving, then in the AM I have breakfast which is usually cold cereal and of course my morning coffee and am usually out by 10 am.

Rik Peery likes this.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Like others, a lot depends on how long the drive home. I prefer to get home before dark if possible.

Most of the campgrounds I visit have a 1:00 pm checkout time. Check in is usually 2:00 pm. If I'm leaving on a Sunday thru Wednesday in the off season, I may stay past the checkout time as there is likely no one coming in. In high season and on Thursdays thru Saturdays, I try to leave no later than check out, but often an hour or two earlier.

As my set up is very minimal, just a couple chairs and a table outside, I can usually be ready to leave within 15 minutes.

17. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Quite often weather will dictate how soon we leave. Provincial parks have a check out/check in time of 2pm so if the weather is great we will drag it out until 1:30 or so. If we had rain overnight we try to dry out the pup before closing it down. If, however we wake in the morning and we are dry but rain is coming we pack up early and head home.

campfire Joe and Rik Peery like this.
  18. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Depends on the weather for the most part, & length of trip...as a general rule, I'll haul arse at 1st light or as early as possible & air out or dry stuff when I get home; wife likes to get back & have down time, I unload, do laundry etc...been a few times I've left the day before if the weather is gonna be extreme gnarly, went through a Derecho in 2012 while tent camping & came a gnat's backside of taking a dirt nap, no mas...

campfire Joe likes this.
  19. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

[LOL][LOL][LOL] gotta show the wife this one lol, she can relate...

Orchid, campfire Joe and 1380ken like this.
  20. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

I drag it out as long as I can. We camp in NYS parks and the checkout time is 11. That said, we pack at our leisure between the time we get up and get on the road. We camp normally about an hour from home so it's not a factor. I have a HTT and with that comes dumping the tanks. I know when the rush will be over and seeing I hate to wait in lines, I'll plan around that.