What Time Do You Leave?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Gumbias, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Fshrmon

Fshrmon New Member

Greetings.

For us, it is dependent on how far of a drive we may have in front of us, but on the whole. I don't do anything B.C. (before coffee) and that is a process in and of itself. I like to enjoy my morning coffee and the last day of quietude. Then roll into making bacon & eggs, clean up dishes, have another cup of coffee. Maybe read for a bit while the kids go ride bikes one more time.

Then slowly start the process of cleaning up camp, putting things away, start packing, etc. We like to clean the interior of our Pup at the campground so that it's ready for the next trip. By the time this is all said and done, we usually leave around noon or 1pm.

I'm never in a rush to leave camping.

Great question and it was fun to think about camping.
    Cheers,
    Fshrmon

2. Econ

Econ Active Member

We are type A personalities. We stay out long enough so we don't have to squeeze in a few more hours. The last two trips combined were 24 days. We plan our exit strategy. List the major cities for the drive home. How can we not be in a major city between 6:30 AM and 8:45 AM, 11:30 AM and 1:15 PM, and 4 Pm and 6 PM.

If we are going to another campground we plan to arrive at least 2 hours before sunset.

We travel when others dont. Sunday at noon to Thurs afternoon is popular. Keeps you away from the working riff raff , screaming brats, Class A's, Etc<GG>.

Pommom70 and Rik Peery like this.
  3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I like this question and thought processes that followed. I have typically gotten up, packed up and headed out fairly quickly. But depending on how far I have to travel and what the schedule is like back home, I may just slow down and enjoy that morning more.

4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

The same way we do at Hotels. We get up at our leisure, have a relaxed breakfast and once we start cleanup we break camp at a comfortable pace. Our state parks check out time is typically noon, although we have left our site as late as 3:00 P.M. when breaking camp on Sunday. The rangers typically are in no rush...

The idea is simple. Everything ready for us to be home by 7:00 P.M. latest. Including rest stops. So the time to leave the park is dependent upon distance...

Basically, I try to have everything clean, black and gray tanks dumped, and everything ready to go prior to leaving the park. The idea is anything perishable gets dragged into the house, and anything non perishable stays packed and ready to go...

One we start up with the PU, I am planning on keeping up the routine sort of. I will empty the fridge into an ice chest to go into the car for road snacks and lunch etc... The idea there is to have the camper ready to drop off for storage and ready to pick up for the next use. Things like clothes and bedding go into the TV for the trip home. Mind you, it's just the wife and I, so no kids stuff to worry about. I think that makes a LOT of the difference.

We have friends with kids that have a soft carrier on the roof rack of their SUV, and all the bedding, clothes, toys etc... go in there. Same idea, camper gets tucked away on the trip home, and stuff gets jammed into the house upon return, and laundry started... I can't imagine it though, they have 4 kids under 12... That's got to be cramped....

5. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

We like to stay as long as possible, until the check out time we paid for.

We often wonder what's the rush to leave for others who seem to need to win a race on how soon they can get out the entrance. Maybe they were raised to just do everything faster and feel better if they are the first ones out. Or maybe they are nurses or firefighters who need to get to a job. We wish we could ask sometimes what's the reason but that might be intrusive.

dbhost likes this.
  6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Maybe they have 12 hours to drive.
    I don’t trouble myself about what other people do.

7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Is it Easter time already? Because it looks like somebody resurrected the dead!

8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Not my business what others do, but if I had a 12 hour hunk of road to cover in one day, I'd be all packed up except the absolute minimums night before, get up at a reasonable hour and pack the remainder of the way and go. Probably grab brunch on the road at the first fuel stop. We always have a cooler in the car with snacks, fruit, jerky that sort of thing, so not like we are going to starve or anything.

I personally would prefer to have a stopover though, with 6 hours each day instead of shot gunning through 12 hours, although I have done the long drives like that before. Galveston to Hot Springs up I-59. Not taking that route after dark again for sure!

9. tombiasi

I hope my point was taken
    Why in the world should anyone care what time I leave and why.

10. Econ

Econ Active Member

Let's add a different perspective to this. Some of us got up at 5:00 to 5:30 AM for 40 years and never broke the habit come retirement. Some don't get up til noon.

Sunlight is precious. Don't waste it.

Camper054, Rik Peery, Sjm9911 and 2 others like this.
  11. tombiasi

Happens quite often

dbhost likes this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I guess I'll weigh in on this decade old thread. :grin:

We are out usually 15 to 30 minutes prior to check out time, no earlier.

When I traveled with my parents, as a child, my dad was up before the sun making us get on the road. Didn't matter if it was from a campsite or hotel, we were out with the sunrise. He still does it, but glad it no longer impacts me.

Pommom70 likes this.
  13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

That's why I now have the ability to dump the cassette and grey water at home.[:D]

We don't have a set time to leave. It depends on the circumstances, I rise early so I make coffee and start packing before the rest even wake up. Most of our camping is within a few hours of home so we don't rush. We generally take 1-2 longer trips a year, those pack up morning I've been called mean. If possible we are going to be home before dark and that's not happening with DQT trying to sleep until noon.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Also depends on the weather! Im mostly packed up now, weather isnt good , so i will leave early. Im up anyways. I agree it depends on time and distance also trafic. Everyones ride and trip is diffrent and the time they leave is also. To start the trip we left hime about 430 am. Because we had to. Sometimes the trip decides when you leave.

Orchid and Rik Peery like this.
  15. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

For dang sure true lol, years of suppressed feelings & heavy coffee quaffing as well as rising at 0 dark thirty tends to become habit forming, & more than once I've had to lead a bleary eyed stumbling wife to the truck as the sun struggled to chase away the shadows...of course she is well compensated for her temporary misery...shopping sprees etc

16. Ironmonger

Ironmonger New Member

Agreed. I've got at least two hours of work upon arriving at home, with unpacking the TV and all.