What To Ask The Dealer

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Canvas Cur, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur New Member

Hi Folks,
    Considering a new pup after looking at several used ones. Decent, clean units are running 4-6K. Not really wanting to go into debt, but also not really wanting to begin repairs on a unit that was not cared for well. So...before we take the plunge (2017 Rockwood Freedom 1640ltd), any questions we should ask the dealer rep. before we sign on the dotted line? The unit comes with A/C, option group A&B, (including power lift) and will cost right at 8K. (plus T&T). Kinda nervous...our first pup in MANY years. Last one was an old Cox canvas top.
    Thanks again for the wealth of good info here.

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Can't tell you what to do but if it were me I would continue looking at used ones. You are about to enter the winter season, prices should be lower and you might find someone more willing to come down on the price....

3. Marty-n-Evy

Marty-n-Evy New Member

^^ what he said.

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

4. Marty-n-Evy

Marty-n-Evy New Member

Quality units are out there. Just be patient. The one that feels right will almost jump out at you

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I'll give my standard pretty generic answer... What are you going to tow with? do you know your vehicles tow rating, cargo rating, frontal area rating (if it has one)? What is the GVWR and the "as shipped weight" of the trailers your looking at?

Oh and don't think that the sales person has your interest at heart...They just want the sales commission and would sell their own mother to get it..

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Most dealers are clueless about popups. Back in early 90's whem it was popup market and dealers know so much about popups. I still remember what the dealer told me back in 94's that I have not heard any contemporary dealer say the same thing.

Do not be stuck with the dumb salesman who could not answer your questions, just politely say that you were just looking around. go to the front desk and ask for a salesperson who has some or much knowledge of popup.

7. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

Just remember that whatever questions you ask the dealer will be answered with whatever he thinks is going to close the sale. If it sounds to good to be true or you think he is lying, ask him if he will put it in writing on the sale contract.

Personally, I would hold off a bit more or even try to find something that needs a little love. You'll save a ton of money, put a little work into it over the winter when your not scrambling to leave for a camping trip, and in the end you'll have a camper that you know a little better.

It doesn't matter what you buy, sooner or later you are going to work on it. If you buy new, you'll get the benefit of a warranty and the loss of camping trips while it sits in the dealer queue waiting for parts to show up or an available technician.

8. Flying Labs

Flying Labs Member

Sometimes this forum amuses me. Not too long ago, there was a thread lamenting the fact that Starcraft appears to have stopped producing popups, and several posters berated the company for their decision. Now someone is planning on buying a new unit, and is told to keep looking for a used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur New Member

After reading the posts, I did take a look at some used units. I guess I am too critical, or maybe just not wanting another "project" looming over me right when prime camping season (in Florida) is upon us.Plus, anything nice was tending to be a bit pricey, even if they were 10 years old, or older. One that had "little use" had moldings coming loose, black mold, worn tires...etc. That being said, and certainly not discounting the valuable input from here, we decided to spring for a new (2017) Rockwood 1640 LTD. Two dealers were consulted who carry them in our area. Same price, basically, but on the identical unit, one had a 3 way frig., power lift, and the A/C prewire for one hundred more. That is the one we decided on. It has a 20K btu heater and roof air (13.5k). Heated mattresses, removable stove, nice little Dometic awning. Not bad for 8K, we thought. Funny though to see 250K and up units all around us while they were doing the walk-around! As far as the fun factor goes, the little 8' PUP we bought is "off-the-scale" more enjoyable!! We have reservations at a State Park North of Daytona Beach at the end of the month. Hoping it goes OK...kinda nervous for our first outing in a pop-up in over 25 years. Also ordered the Tekonsha wireless brake controller today. Hope to have it on before our trip. I guess I better not say what my TV is...might get beat up about it here [;)]. I'll just say it is NOT an F-150!
    Future posts will be in the "new owners" section. Thanks Again to all who took time to chime in on this question. Good to see that some companies still make an affordable new alternative for us folks who may not have the savvy to tackle a formidable re-build project.

BTW, adding it to our present auto insurance was much cheaper than what they were wanting to sell us.

10. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

While at Ridgeway SP this summer we were surrounded by $2m in fifth wheels and TVs and were kidding around as we pulled in that "there goes the neighborhood!" Our PU gets us in places that 20ft+ campers can't go but will fit in those same pull through spots in the CG. Win-Win in my book. Let the adventures begin...

11. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

I just purchased my second pop-up last year. Both popups had electrical issues. To avoid making anyone feel bad, the warrantee issued by the latest 'manufacturer (even after customer service was involved)' was a, "If it breaks in half you get both pieces" type. I would recommend the following:
    1. Have the salesperson hook the camper up to the vehicle and ensure the battery can charge (a simple volt meter test) and that all trailer lights function properly.
    2. Then ensure that the AC connection works without the battery connected - make sure the polarity of the power supply is correct anytime you plug in (yes AC does have a polarity and a ground is not a neutral when dealing with inverters and converters).
    3. Ensure the DC power supplied the connections work properly.
    4. After these are conformed, have the salesman repeat to ensure the converter did not fail.
    5. Ensure the sink drains.
    6. Ensure the keys for both doors work.
    . . .anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. . . . and still - I'd buy it all over again!

12. LTAnderson

LTAnderson New Member

Congrats on your purchase. I just recently purchased a "New to Us" 2001 Rockwood 1640ltd and love it. It is definitely is not as nice as yours but we are extremely happy. The camper is on the small side but my little family of 4 makes it work no problem at all.

13. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Cool little 8 footers fit everywhere. I had 2 12 foot box with slideout and front storage. They are 25 feet deployed and need adequate site clearances on 3 sides. I can shoe horn in a 19ft pup practically everywhere. Worst is in sloped site where you can't level fore and aft with hitch on ground. I can see that happen with an 8ft box pup too.

14. gruss

gruss Active Member

All I'll say is shop that price, 8k is pretty much msrp. Dealer we got ours has it for 7449...that's just on Web page with ac and everything else. I'm sure this time of year a better deal can be had.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk