What to do when the kids get big but are still young?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by nkcrouch, Jul 17, 2019.

1. nkcrouch

nkcrouch Member

Good Evening! So our large Coleman Stony Creek is starting to feel snug. We have 4 kids: the oldest is newly 11 and 5'3 and the others are right on target for height. In about 2 more years, it will seem more like 6 adults camping in terms of height and weight. We have one sleeping configuration we have not tried--pulling out the gaucho sofa, but it is going to eat up floor space. I joked with my husband that we should just sell this camper and get 2 smaller campers. I know we either want to stay with a pop up or maybe at most go to a hybrid. I know we could reconfigure our pop up, but I think now is not a good time to take on such a project. Has anyone successfully camped as a large family in a pop up beyond the kids being in the 10 and under ages?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Get a tent and a blow up mattress. Put the kids there. Get a pop up screen enclosure, now you have a dinning space. Total cost, tent 150 ( and thats a big tent) blow up mattress 60 ( 2 twins) screen room 200. 460 ish. Your pup getting magicly bigger, priceless!

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

nkcrouch likes this.
  4. nkcrouch

nkcrouch Member

Oh my gosh! What an easy idea--and inexpensive. Thank you. :)

5. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

When we go camping with our daughter & her husband's family, that's how we do it....we sleep in our pup, along with the 2 youngest grandkids, their parents sleep in their pickup camper, & the older kids use a tent or two, works for us

HappyTraveler likes this.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

You'll find that the kids will enjoy their own space also.

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

You could get a bigger popup... :)

(If you're camping in the south, will the kids need AC to sleep?)

We got the popup because we outgrew our small pickup camper. Now one of the two kids wants to sleep in a tent because it's proper camping. I am thinking that means we can take the truck camper again!

nkcrouch likes this.
  8. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I know this is a bit late but whenever we travel with another adult or her mother who was a major PITA, she's deceased now so no more headaches there, I would leave all the Estrogen in the PUP by taking along my 4-Man tent where I could disappear after hours. A few years ago we moved to the largest of the PUP family a Coachman Clipper 1285 SST with 2 King Beds, the Sofa/Sleeper and obviously the dining room table that converts, though this is getting tight for my girls. We also have a screened canopy which we used in the back yard for the DD's to camp out in when they've had friends over and wanted to sleep outside and not on the screened patio. Best of luck and I hope you've gotten some good ideas here.

neighbormike and nkcrouch like this.
  9. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Yeah, as the kids approach teen years, they'll want their own space. You might be able to pitch a backpacking tent under the rear bunk, which would offer some rain protection and (esp for the younger ones) the security of knowing they're a quick 6-foot dash to the door.

neighbormike and J Starsky like this.