What to get next??

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by rigger4343, May 19, 2018.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

The DW and I just had this conversation the other night while watching "Going RV" on GAC channel. I would like a motor home (class C), but we both also liked the R-Pod by Forest River. A unit that sleeps 4 would be fine with us. We would not sell the pup as our DS wants it so he can go camping with his friends and/or girlfriend.

2. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

When I was at one of my local dealers that also happens to be a Coleman dealer, the sales guy highly recommended that I do not buy a Coleman. He said they were too poorly built and would not hold up or hold any value. This was from one of the upper sales guys. But they did have some of the floor plans that I liked in the Coleman.

The Jayco is certainly a smaller trailer but actually a smaller unit is kind of what we are wanting. Or at least that is what we think we are wanting.

I got to check out a R Pod next to us the last time we went camping. I really liked it and the owner thought it was a great camper. I also found one locally that was only 4 years old but the interior was removed and they wanted what I felt was way too much money for it.

I would love to find a nice used trailer that fit what we are thinking we want. I am seeing more and more used trailers pop up around me but none that fit what we would like.

I did find a gutted 1977 31' Airstream that would make a hell of a project! But I think it may be a little more of a project and a little more than I feel like trying to pull with my truck.

Keep the ideas coming. I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and suggestions. It's a big help in considering what to look for.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Have you considered any of the expandable (hybrid) models??

4. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

I have looked at a couple. I was thinking of trying to get away from anything that still had canvas on it. But I do have to admit for the size of some of the hybrid campers, they do have a lot of room inside. There are a couple of them locally for sale that look near perfect, at least in the pictures, that are not priced too bad.

We are leaning more towards something that is a simple, hard sided travel trailer. Does not have to have slides and fancy electric stuff and so on. Just simple and easy to maintain and set up.

5. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

The more I look around at used campers for sale, it appears to be easy to find a larger camper. There are tons of used bigger units out there for sale, all ages and price ranges. But the smaller units look to be a bit harder to find. I have spotted a couple here and there but if they are lets say about 2 to 3 years old, they are almost the same price as a new one.

6. neighbormike

^^ This is exactly what I have noticed also... I can find 30' + trailers all day long but was searching for 18-21' - ended up going new - got a 20' Solaire that fit all my search criteria.

7. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

Well we have one more trip already booked this upcoming Labor Day weekend and then the pop up is officially going up for sale. The funds from the pop up and a motorcycle I have for sale will be put towards a small TT. I am looking forward to finding something that will fit our needs and wants a little better.
    The pop up has been fun but I do not think that I will miss it.

emoney likes this.
  8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Enjoy the last trip and when I read through this thread I was thinking “I hope they wait until Fall/Winter to buy” for the options and savings. I’m looking myself.

Something to consider when searching the RVT type sites is should you find what you want 8 hours away you won’t need to book a hotel. You can drive down, pick it up stay overnight and drive back. You kill a lot of birds with one stone that way. There’s a dealer in London, Ky, for example that seems to be pretty aggressive in pricing. I look at his trade in stuff quite a bit. The internet makes the world a much smaller place.

9. neighbormike

Enjoy your final pup trip! And good luck in your search!!

10. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Just picked up that very camper. So far my advice would be to get the Baja version. Lifted, bigger tires, propane & water tank. Let me know if you have any questions.

11. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

Which one did you get?

12. gladecreekwy

FC66A695-44CA-4AFD-B9BC-1A4BDC8FBA87.jpeg
    174BH jay flight baja

13. gladecreekwy

14. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

How do you like that floor plan? We have two 12 year old girls and do not want a big camper. From what I have seen so far, that floor plan would work very well for us.
    Also... How do you like the Jayco brand itself? We do have a great Jayco dealer very close to us. And from what I understand they are well built and have very few issues .

15. neighbormike

None of them are "well built".

kcsa75 likes this.
  16. gladecreekwy

We love the floor plan. We wanted bunks and a separate dinette. The dinette is small so we got two folding stools so our kids sit on the end. We don’t eat inside much so it works for us. I wanted the smallest lightest trailer I could find with that floor plan and it’s less than 4000# loaded. The Baja has a larger propane and water tank and is lifted with larger tires, also a requirement for us. The dealer installed two batteries at my request. We did a very extensive walk through and everything looked good. As for quality Jayco seems a little better than most but unfortunately these days you have to be prepared to fix minor issues yourself. Because of where we live the dealer is 230 miles away. The dealer reputation is critical for future service. Jayco does have a two year warranty and we purchased an extended one. I believe we got a lot for the money and are very happy so far.

rigger4343 likes this.
  17. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

Did you get the one with or without the slide on the dinette? We kind of prefer the one without the slide. We also primarily cook and eat outside too.

18. gladecreekwy

No slide out. In my opinion it adds too much weight and another motor to fail. Keeping it simple was our goal. Another feature I wanted was wall mount ac. We will rarely use it (in 25 years we’ve only stayed in a campground 3 times and one was coming home from the dealer) I rather it not be sticking up on the roof, it’s already pretty tall with the lift. I was glad to have that one day because it was 103 in Livingston, MT where we were.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  19. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

I am the same way, keep it simple. I would rather not have the extra moving parts to possibly cause future issues.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  20. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

I have worked in the boat industry for over 20 years now. Worked on every thing from a 12' skiff to 100' Yachts. One thing I have found over the years is that most boats are pure junk! Every now and then you run across a few that are less junk than others and then you have the rare customs that are actually built well.

I am sure campers are the same way. I would just like to find something that will be in our budget that is less junk than the average and I will just maintain the heck out it for as long as we keep it. From what I have discovered, it seems like the Jayco's fall into a camper category that has a decent build. Talked to an RV tech the other day that worked at a big RV dealer for years. In his opinion the Jayco was actually one of the better built campers out there because he found that he rarely ever had to repair anything on a Jayco unless it was something the owner broke.

I would really like the idea of a fiberglass exterior w/ aluminum frame but they seem to be much more costly for the difference in material.

At the moment, that little Jayco with the bunk house floor plan is a strong contender for a replacement for our pop up. But once both it and the bike are sold, then I will really be able to shop hard looking for both new and used.

gladecreekwy likes this.