What to get next??

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by rigger4343, May 19, 2018.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I hope Jayco travel trailers are built better than the Jayco popup I owned!

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Tons of videos on YouTube to watch about Jayco's falling apart.

3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I looked at a bunch of Jayco trailers before I bought mine and that one is not even close to new. My 2019 isn’t perfect but I did a real walk through inspection apparently unlike the guy in the video. That camper looks pretty beat up.

4. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

One thing the guy did say about the camper is that he had no structural issues and the trailer pulled well. That is more important to me than the stuff he found. Most everything in that video are easy fixes. I would not even bother with taking that to a dealer for repairs, I would just take care of that stuff myself.
    Most of what he pointed out, I have already seen in other brands sitting on the lot, brand new.
    Like boats, campers are going to have issues too. They are basically a small house built with lesser quality materials, fast construction, cheap labor and they get bounced around on the highway. You have to expect some problems to come up.
    And him being bumped to the back of the line for repairs... Well he should be able to get warranty repairs from any Jayco dealer but most dealers are going to take care of customers that bought from them first. They will be priority.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  5. gladecreekwy

Exactly. I’ve already done a couple of minor fixes, tightened a few screws and water connections. Stuff I wouldn’t take to the dealer if they were across the street.

neighbormike and rigger4343 like this.
  6. neighbormike

For the most part, I am totally the same! My trailer is currently at the dealer for a water leak (warranty)... 1st ever warranty claim - I don't sweat the small stuff. My last trailer (pup) should have really ended up being a dealer buy-back, but I repaired things & kept on camping!

7. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I am the guy who had a slide failure on my first trip. Actually the slide switch failed. Now i know that the motor has a 3/4 bolt that you hookup a wrench and retract on failure. I do not think the slides fail anymore . The motor itself is so basic. same for tongue jack. i have proper attachment and my impact wrench just incase after that learning experience. I have had my avenger for 4 yrs and its been on alot of road trips. a few 500 plus mile ones and one 2000 mile trip. Except for that one issue i been ok. The fridge heating element went once and i changed it myself. A tree fell over the skylight in the winter and i got a new one from ebay and replaced. Again i have never worked on anything rv or even cars before. I am bad in home improvement. my one wall i built looks like the great wall of china with all the bends. So its all basic stuff. I do cover it and we love the slide area. I have a leather couch and a U shaped dinnette. Both convert into a twin and queen. We do have my mother in law join us or family. The kids love the bunk bed.

We went from 10-15 days in PUP to 30-35 days in the TT as we can camp in colder weather more and also we go on more TT trips back to back .

emoney likes this.
  8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Y'up, most of the video shows "build issues", not a camper 'falling apart'. Any of those laminate seams, for example,
    could've been corrected in the beginning and they wouldn't have developed into the issues they're becoming.
    Having a warranty can actually get you into trouble, and those are great examples of how. Faced with the option
    of hooking up the camper, making an appointment to drop it off at the dealer, delivering it to them and leaving
    it with them for at least a day or two (usually many more) and then going back, hooking it back up, and driving
    it home, versus, $.48 of laminate glue and about 2.5 minutes of time? For me, anyway, the choice is very clear
    as the older and wiser I get the more value I place on my personal time. Not to mention the fuel it would've
    taken to drop the camper off.

Now, if it's something that's going to cost a couple hundred bucks to fix, of course the manufacturer needs to
    pay to have that done. But no way would I waste my time having someone else put a new screw into anything
    that I could do in a moment.

neighbormike likes this.
  9. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I know it may not be much to some people but I am not a fan of the queen bed going across the front. You would have to climb over someone to get up in the middle of the night to answer natures call.

10. gladecreekwy

That’s exactly how my pop up is so now so no difference for us. I sleep like a dead rock so I don’t even notice her climbing over me

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Just a heads-up, apparently the RV warranty world is completely different than cars. It seems to actually be almost universal that a dealer won’t do warranty work on your rig unless you bought it from them, which is a real shame for consumers. I follow a bunch of camping/RV groups, podcasts, YouTube channels, etc., and they all say the same thing.

12. neighbormike

I have no one to climb over, but I agree... I mostly prefer "length-wise" bed because I can actually "make the bed" without being a friggin gymnast!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  13. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

I have owned 3 Jakes and found them to be pretty decent units. Also 2 Rockwoods(nice units) 1 Nomad.( very low end). Now mind you, this is over a course of 40 years. If yo Iur determined to get into a smaller TT. By all means I would recommend one with a slide. In the long run you will thank yourself. A little extra inside space goes a long ways when the weather sucks, and the kids get older. Good luck in your search

14. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

Well we did what was pretty much our last trip in the pop up this past Labor Day weekend. We had a nice time and pop up did its job. I found myself having to put it back up when we got home yesterday so it could dry out. I found myself wanting a TT even more after that! :)

What other trailers would you guys recommend? I spent some time walking in the campground looking at other units. We do not want a big trailer at all! Really something small, that will sleep 4, give the kids some separation in regards to sleeping, give my wife and two girls a bathroom and easy setup for myself. What else out there fits that bill?

15. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Depends on what your idea of small is? I just sold my pup and moved to a 22’ TT with a read bed slide out and it seems huge compared to the pup. Are you limited by TV? Lots of options out there for sure

16. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

I have a Double Cab Tacoma. It has a 6,500 pound tow capacity. I just dont really want a big trailer to have to deal with. My wife grew up in small spaces and likes a nice, well laid out smaller camper. We dont live in the camper when we go. Mainly outside or out seeing stuff. The Jayco that I mentioned before as an example is probably about right for us size wise. Maybe up to around a 22' but I dont think I would want anything bigger than that.
    Its the small campers that catch our attention more than the bigger ones. I like the smaller, more efficient and easy to slide into my yard campers.

If I were to make a list of my ideal camper...
    -Outside cooking capability (dont even care if it has a small kitchen inside) But a decent fridge would be nice so I dont have to worry so much about coolers and ice.
    -Small shower and restroom for the girls (outside shower would be nice)
    -Seems like for our family, bunk beds for the kids and a queen for us is top of the list. (doesnt matter the position of the beds)
    -Really do not want anything with canvas but I am still considering it.
    -Would prefer fiberglass outside, aluminum frame.
    -Decent storage or at least good usable storage.
    -Easy set up and easy towing.

I am looking for new or used campers. Would prefer to buy something used but it seems like most of the used ones I see have been so poorly maintained and are absolutely disgusting on the inside that it makes me think more about new. I dont see how people can spend so much on one and not take care of it. But I see that in boats all the time too. People spend a ton on a boat only to not take care of it and let it get trashed.

17. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

I wanted to add in your search, there's also the Coachmen Captiva that's the sister to the Viking Velocity, but
    it was produced more years. Just gives you more options to expand the search.

As to condition, nothing seems to shock me anymore so I'm not surprised to find so many "barely used but
    abused" units on the market. Having said that, half the blame is on the quality (or lack thereof) and effort
    the factory put in as well. You can see a huge difference between an entry level travel trailer and a "luxury" unit
    10 years down the road, that's for sure. I'm like you, I take care of much stuff because I truly believe we get
    more life out of it. Money is hard to come by and easy to spend.

rigger4343 likes this.
  18. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

A friend has the Baja version of that Jayco. If you're going to go to parts unknown it's probably a better way to go with the lift just to get some clearance. He pulls his with an '08 Ridgeline which is at the max. He's had a couple fit and finish issues (rubber trim piece came out of the track (used two nickles to secure it) and a propane leak). He did reinforce the queen bed support as it's thin plywood. Had a window latch break. We temp fixed that will bailing wire. He's been happy otherwise. The only thing he's not a fan of his the top bunk has no window so the younger daughter has to use a light if she's hanging out up there reading. Someone mentioned having stools, I'll mention that to him. The dinette is cramped and they've had to spend a night or two at Camp WalMart.

I'd like to find a smaller toy hauler myself but just can't find anything I like and small used units are just unicorns. I'll miss the 13-15MPG though. Though I have a beast of a toy hauler pup at 28' rolling and 32' set up many TTs and THs I would be interested in would be smaller.

19. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

I just sold both my motorcycle and pop up earlier this week so I really get to start hunting.

I have a neighbor that has a 2018 Wolfpup in that same floorplan with the bunks in the back. He really likes it but has no where to keep it. He mentioned maybe selling it to me if I wanted it. He ball park guessed somewhere around $12,000ish for it. I need to do a little research on it but I did start to consider talking to him about it. It also seems to have a few extra little features that I like over the jayco but they are almost twins.

Been looking more and more for used but most of the ones I see, it just seems like I might be better getting new (as much as i do not want to) and just maintaining the heck out of it.

Using that Jayco for example. I have already thought about beefing up that queen bed a little just because I feel like it could use it. Overall though for a simple camper, it seems to be one for me to consider. I have looked into some of the R-Pods too. I like them but they do seem to be a lot more costly. I know in some cases you get what you pay for but in others you are just paying more.

Well now that I have cash in hand, time to really start shopping.

20. penny

penny Well-Known Member

We have been looking at trailers for a while and there are a lot of choices! Over time though, we started to recognize what we needed vs what we wanted. the trailer we owned, our first, was a very light and small, but surprisingly roomy fun finder T139. it would be way too small for your needs, I only mention it because it got our feet wet in the experience of towing a trailer. we towed with a grand caravan, but decided we needed something else to tow with. Then we bought a 2005 v6 2wd 4 runner as a tow vehicle. That particular year has the same transmission as the V8 4 runner and a 4L V6. It has no problems with towing a trailer. it is rated to tow 5000# and so we didn't want to go very big, just a little bigger. gas milage will be lower, but not in the single digits like so many bigger tow vehicles. we would rather drive slower and get better mileage, and it's safer too.

We decided we needed a little bigger tt, and looked at many new and used trailers. It is amazing how many are out there, and how many differences and similarities. It is just the two of us, and we don't take a lot of toys along, maybe a kayak or a bicycle, but travel light. We decided what was most important was the least frontal area resistance and more room inside. This really helped us decide what to look for. Everyone has different priorities. Make a list of absolutes, then really wants, then would be nice....

for us it was:
    economy of towing. If we had to buy a new tow vehicle or spend $100's of dollars on gas, we would probably have not considered another TT.
    comfortable and convenient bed arrangement as bad sleep has bad effects
    everything else fell into the category of wants or extras.

we found a relatively narrow camper with a walk around queen bed. It isn't "perfect" but it is pretty close. Because it weighs about 1000# more than our fun finder did, but is the same frontal area, we see very little, if any, change in the towing experience. our average mpg has dropped from 14.5 to 14. The 4 runner rpms are not much different and if anything, the longer trailer is easier to tow as it has better suspension and doesn't bob around.

I know there are short toy haulers out there, I've seen them. we have a limited number of brands represented in our area, which limits one to online browsing. that's frustrating because pictures are so deceptive.

I guess these are just random thoughts on the subject, but good luck!