What to look for when buying a used pop up

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Rhconcepts, Oct 7, 2015.

1. jennyjennjen

jennyjennjen New Member

Dumb Question from a newbie...Why is having a title/clean title important? I've seen a few used pups that say no title. Can you get plates without a title?

2. Alan

Alan Active Member

That is a good way to ruin your camper! You level right to left by shimming under the tires, leveling blocks work great and are inexpensive. You level front to back with the tongue jack.

3. Alan

Alan Active Member

Make sure the sin, facets, shower and toilet have no leaks. Check propane lines as well as trailer wiring to the tongue and plug for the tow vehicle. Check the tongue jack for proper operation. Have them light the range, the refrigerator and the water heater. Check to see if the refrigerator works on all phases, propane, 12 V and 120V. Check all the trailer lights, almost every marker light on ours was broken, but I didn't notice until we got it home. Not a big deal, I upgraded all the marker lights and the step light to LEDs. The third time out, we had no trailer brake lights becasue the TV plug was in such bad consdition. It took an hour to go to our nearby AutoZone buy and install a new one; I wasn't about to pull the trailer down the highway without the tail lights working right!

Rhconcepts likes this.
  4. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

To bad I cant update the list, so many nice add ons I see. If you know anyone thinking of buying a camper take the time and give them pointers. Its sad to read so many bad stories about buying a camper. But like many have said they dont find the web site until after they buy the camper :(

5. Alan

Alan Active Member

I found it before buying ours, because I researched the models I went and looked at.

Travis210 likes this.
  6. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

Anyone have the list? Link seems to be down

7. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Turbulent and jnc like this.
  8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Turbulent likes this.
  9. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

So glad I found this site! The girlfriend and I are looking into finding a decent starter/beginner pop up camper. This list will definitely come in handy as we're going to look at a Montauk tomorrow after work! Excited to get into one, but don't want to make the mistake of buying a headache when all I want is a few nice peaceful weekends! LOL.

10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Just bought a 2004 StarCraft and everything looked good, roof, canvas, floors etc but.....The lift system cable was frayed. When I climbed underneath at home and was inspecting and cleaning the cable I noticed it was frayed nearest to the rachet handle where it spooled up. If I had seen this before I bought it, it probably wouldn't have been a deal breaker to me because I can replace the cable cheaply and the overall condition of the PUP is excellent. However I'm glad I found this defect before finding out the hard way and breaking a cable on a trip. It was obvious to me that maintenance was not done on the lift system and is probably the most neglected item on a PUP. Out of sight out of mind. Folks get familiar with your lift systems and keep them lubed and watch the tension on your final lift.

11. Alan

Alan Active Member

It's not likely...your DMV has to know who the owner is to register a vehicle or a trailer.

12. Alan

Alan Active Member

Good luck...do your homework, know what you're looking at and then make sure the person you are buying from shows you everything.

13. Justalex13

Justalex13 New Member

Also ask about registration if it has back fees. That was my mistake not asking and wound up paying over 600.00 in back fees.

14. Alan

Alan Active Member

FYI - #7 - They are not leveling jacks and you can actually ruin the lift system, bend the frame and/or do other damage if you use them as such. Read your manual and know what you are supposed to be doing before setting your trailer up.

http://www.thepopupprincess.com/pop-up-camping/how-we-level-our-pop-up-camper/

15. Alan

Alan Active Member

Dude! I was wondering, how you can be made responsible for somebody else not paying their fees and then I saw you are from California.

jnc likes this.
  16. Justalex13

Justalex13 New Member

It wasn't registered for 7 years they charged me for 3 years and penalties. California is screwed up

17. Alan

Alan Active Member

Love it! At least now you have nicer camper and know what it is! The ceiling looks great, what did you use on it?

18. Alan

Alan Active Member

You just gave me one more reason to never go back to California to live! Although, I did buy my PUP from a Portola, California owner and 99.9% of our camping and kayaking is done in California, I definitely do not support the political climate there.

Justalex13 likes this.
  19. Mamatich

Mamatich New Member

Hey Everyone! So my hubby and I have the opportunity to get a free pop up that used to be his Grandparents.... yes grandparents its a 1970 Sportscraft tent trailer like really really old school hasn't be opened in almost 15 years, no power no plumbing no gas. Literally just two beds and a table. We ended up opening it this past weekend and seemed to be in I guess okay condition(LOTS OF SPIDER NESTS). The crank worked (wasn't it expecting to) the only major damage I could really see was that the hinges holding up the beds on either side were so completely rusted that they just broke in half. The tires were completely flat and 2 of the mesh screens were completely destroyed (although it did have plastic behind in so worst case I cold just cut out the old mesh and have the plastic remain (for aesthetics anyway) but my question for you all is... is it worth it I told my husband I wanted it as my DIY project although if I did need some help he would be willing to help (minimally lol) but I have two kids a 2 year old and a 7 month old. So just wondering am I taking off more than I can chew and is there something that I need to check that I am missing and what is the MOST it is going to cost me, cause if its going to cost me and arm and a leg would just rather buy a newer one and save myself from spider infestations lol.

Thanks y'all and really any info for a first time old school pop up camper girl would be amazing. ALSO don't have a hitch on my 2017 Sante fe sport so information on that as well would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

20. Alan

Alan Active Member

Photos would be helpful. You could spend a bunch of time and money and still not have what you want or you could spend a bunch of time and a little money and get what just you need for your first camper. After a search I find no Sportcraft tent trailers listed anywhere...What is the condition of everything?

Personally, I would be leery of the number one priority and that is safety. Is it going to be safe to tow? A hitch for your SanteFe (what year?) is a simple thing to accomplish and should only cost a couple hundred dollars, plus installation. Then there is the question of trailer brakes and a controller if needed, this could add another $100.00 or more if you have it installed.

FYI - the more info you give the more pertinent information you can get back.

Last edited: May 8, 2018