What to look for when buying a used pop up

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Rhconcepts, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Correct they are stabilizers, but at the time I didn't know the correct term and my 500.00 camper didn't come with a manual lol. But now that I have rebuilt they camper from ground up I know a bit more :)

2. Alan

Alan Active Member

The comment was directed more to those looking to buy and/or newbies.

Rhconcepts likes this.
  3. Alan

Alan Active Member

Rhconcepts - Total rebuild, eh! Nice job...very ambitious!

Rhconcepts likes this.
  4. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Many people here have a rebuild log. It can be fun and many people here love to help. Here is my BUILD LOG and my VIDEO I made.
    I added a hitch to my Nissan Rogue, its not hard but some might have a hard time with the wire hookups.
    PS, Uhaul will install trailer hitches and they have good prices.

5. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Now that we can update old post I added your hints to the list, tons of good stuff you added.

6. Alan

Alan Active Member

Great job. You have many talents, I see!

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

@Mamatich Please start a new post with photo's in the http://www.popupportal.com and you will get much more info from the folks that do this type of work.
    Oh ya I would be doing this camper rehab if it was in my driveway.

8. JKA

JKA New Member

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and in the market for a pup, I found a 2001 Coleman Fleetwood and wrote the seller a message this was his reply, interested in what you pup owners think of his reply on his pup,
    "The roof seal around the perimeter of the roof had dry rotted some when I got it so I replaced it. This is what I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OJY1ANY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_A2tvBbYP1WSBB
    Yes, it is a one piece abs roof that is in pretty good shape. No leaks or soft spots on the roof.

The bed slides are smooth and have no hangups.

The floor in the storage bin had gotten soft because there was a leak at one point. I completely removed the box, replaced the subfloor, put in luxury vinyl plank flooring, and new walls. It is water tight and very strong now.

The floors in the main part of the camper are firm and have luxury vinyl plank flooring.

I've had the camper for a year and a half and I've not replaced the cables. I cannot attest to their condition, but they've never given me trouble.

The biggest known issues are:
    1.) The kitchen galley pivot is a little loose. It's perfectly stable when it's up or down, but it's a little loose when putting up or down. Easily fixable.
    2.) Colemans have an ABS shell around the roof are known to crack with age (does not cause it to leak). It's a cosmetic issue only. My camper has some small cracks which is very normal. There are methods to easily fix it, but I didn't think it was necessary in it's condition.

Thanks oh the asking price is 4700

9. Alan

Alan Active Member

Personally I think the price is pretty high, the mods on the interior look nice in photos, but how about in person. Then there is the storage unit which looks like they repaired the side with some kind of white tape. Lastly you need to look at the condition of the ABS roof. Yes they can be fixed reasonably easy, but at added expense and the price is already up there. How are the tires, brakes, tongue, hitch latch and wiring? Do the stove, water heater, refrigerator and furnace all work as they are supposed to? How about the water tank, pump and faucets? We have a 2003 Westlake, which is basically the same, without the slide-out and paid $3,200.00 for it 3 years ago. I installed a new battery $120, new tires $400.00, changed out the trailer wiring plug, put in new sink faucet and all replaced all the exterior light lenses except one tail light lens. Last year I replaced the hitch latch as well. The inside of our PUP looked as close to new as a used camper can look, but it was stored outside, uncovered for three years, which took it's toll on it.

Good luck, make sure you check all that you can and you'll be glad you did, down the road.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I just got a 2000 Westlake for 1600. So that seams high. I needed to put another 1000 to 1500 into it for supplies and fixes. Fixed the roof with new seals, revuilt the box in the front and general stuff water proffing, fixed the water lines, propane lines , new extention cowards, water hoses , drain lines.

11. JKA

JKA New Member

Thanks for your thoughts and reply!!!!