What to prepare the 1st night of arriving at campsite?

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by Pop Upp, Aug 6, 2015.

1. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Boiled hot dogs is our arrival night tradition. My wife helps pop up, then makes dinner while I finish setting up. The timing is usually perfect. Lol, we are a well oiled pop up machine.

2. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

We take pepperoni rolls and fruit to eat if late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Just too many things going on so late that bringing dinner from home to eat along the way would be more convenient if a dinner stop was not desirable.

4. Indiana

Indiana Just a bunch of squirrels, looking for a nut

Cold fried chicken in the cooler and a beer for me and DH. Helps setup immensely. Minus the beer and add some rolls, fruit, and lemonade for the kids. Done.

5. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

We'll do hot dogs on a stick, veggies and dip (cut up beforehand) or just something that needs reheating, like chili. I like the idea of stopping before, but I am always so nervous driving and parking the PUP, so never considered it.

6. mv520

mv520 Member

We carry a jumbo size can of beef stew as an emergency meal for an unplanned late arrival, or some disaster (the dog snags the steak while you are not looking...). Easy & quick to heat over stove, grill, or fire (can heat it in the can if needed). Filling. Zero prep, keeps forever in the can.

7. Pop Upp

Pop Upp New Member

Thank you for everyone who has taken the time to share their tips and experiences. I am so thankful for the generousity in this group. I feel most welcome here already !

We travel with a few teenage growing boys and I am aiming to prepare healthy meals for them. From my child hood I remember camping trips and the food we had. I am trying to make food that we don’t normally eat at home to make camping interesting and fun.

All your ideas had me thinking the last day or so and I am going to try next time to pre cook a batch of savoury hamburger and add grated cheese and small pieces of tomato to it once it has cooled off and then when we get to the campsite to quickly fire up the BBQ grill and heat up a Camping jaffle cast iron sandwitch maker I have ( and never used, bought it a long time ago with camping in mind) Then to quickly spray the jaffle maker with cook and spray on both sides and then put one slice of bread in it, put a scoop of hamburger filling on top and then another slice of bread on it and close the jaffle maker and quickly warm it up/ cook it so the cheese can melt and the crust of the bread is crunchy over the BBQ ..its basically a melted sandwitch with a cheese meat filling inside.

So all I need for this meal at the campsite will be fire up the BBQ flame, the jaffle maker, the hamburger mixture, Cook n Spray, paper plates and a spoon to scoop it with.

Its very little work once we get to the campsite and will be easy and quick to prepare. While its getting ready the kids can snack on cut up pieces of apple and juice and afterwards we always have something sweet as a desert.

Attached Files:

8. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Also, if you wanna warm something up quick on the cook-top, we always carry a few cans of Ravioli, Spaghettios and soup.

9. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

For our last trip, we pre-cooked Sloppy Joe meat and then froze it. When we got to our camp site, my wife got out the stove (we used our old Coleman instead of the one in the pup) and started to reheat the meat while we set everything up. The meat was hot right about the time we finished. Nothing tastes as good as sloppy joes while camping IMHO.

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

It may not fit the "healthy" requirement, but there is a convenience store on the way to the lake we go to -- about 10 miles from the campsite -- that makes really good pizza. We call ahead and pick up our pizza. Once we get to the campsite, the pizza is still hot so we either sit and eat first or set up the PUP then eat.

11. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

We grab a few pizzas on our way to the campground. It is quick, easy and we can grab a slice during set up if we get hungry. We have also started having a no-cook breakfast on break down morning so that we can break down our outdoor kitchen the night before after we have eaten dinner but before campfire. That lets us have some extra sleep in time on our last morning.

12. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

We typically take pre-cooked pulled BBQ chicken or pulled pork with us to eat on hamburger buns or Hawaiian rolls. You can heat it up in a skillet, or eat it cold. A bag of salad to mix up and you've got a quick meal.
    This year, we had precooked spaghetti noodles and meat sauce. Heated them up in a skillet and it was pretty good.

13. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Oh sheesh. Some of these suggestions sound so nice but for us, as a family of 4 not leaving the house usually until sometime after 5 pm on Fridays.... Not a Chance. We almost always arrive late, and we are lucky to be asleep by 11. Preparing food, even food already cooked, would never fly with us.... or rather, never fly with my wife, who'd be stuck preparing and cleaning up afterwards.

Each of us has the choice of two options for their first night meal. We usually hit a fast food joint on the way out of town for a quick bite in the truck. Choice 1) Buy two "meals" for yourself eating one then, and the other after setup. Clearly, it would not be two double whoppers in 5 hours, but maybe 1 for dinner and a chicken wrap/ junior burger later. Option 2) get one meal on the way out of town, and hit a couple of the several snacks we take with us before laying down.

For sure it is not the healthiest way to do things, but it allows ALLL of us to get in bed at a decent time to enjoy Saturday

"Life is too short to always eat wheat bread" - Me

14. AngryScientist

AngryScientist New Member

Family of 6 here, so cranky hungry kids whining, while stressed adults are trying to set up is a normal occurrence for us!

To combat this, we first unload the camp chairs and place them around the fire pit, then a lantern and lunch meat sandwiches! The chairs give the kids a base, so they don't stray, and the sandwiches keep their hands busy!

15. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Usually camping alone, I stop at the last WalMart I can find and buy two of their fresh subs! By the time I set up, I'm usually hot and stand in front of the AC for a few minutes. Then I nuke half the sub and munch down!

I also keep peanut butter, cheeses, Ritz, fruit of some sort. I don't eat much when I camp, especially if it's hot outside. Ok, so I get to taste test at my Oct rally while roaming around. That kills lunch! LOL But otherwise, I also keep a few canned things I can pop open and nuke. I'm learning to cook over fire and in DOs, so I'll still bring food JUST in case I turn the DO food black. DH says that 'golden brown'. I tell him, 'then YOU eat it!!' LOL

If I decide I want to cook for real, I hit the grocery store!!

[:D]

16. generok

generok Well-Known Member

If it's just the DW and I, we will opt for the stop along the way and eat something.

If the entire family is along, we have a family standby that works great cold. It's grilled chicken breast, sliced. Then there's a dill-based dip. You dip the chicken in the dip and eat it cold. We can do that on the move, or at a wayside or at the camp.

Cooking the first night has become one of the stress points, so we aimed to eliminate it.

We also learned a great on the move trick from a Chief Master Sergeant I was stationed with and drove from Germany to Poland with: King's Hawaiian rolls, precut cheese and a small package of meat. You can make those little sammies and eat them one handed, and they don't make a mess. Saved my bacon on the drive from Atlanta to Anchorage, that's for sure.

17. Groogrux

Groogrux New Member

Pizza or grab subs/hoagies/heroes on your way out of town and throw them in the cooler.