What to use to fix a hole in my Fleetwood Filon roof???

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Fasttimes7, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

We had a disastrous weekend trip last weekend. I've had this Fleetwood camper about going on about 2 years or so and my biggest concern has always that the roof would get damaged, cracked, cause leaks. I'm pretty much on top of things, and keep her in good condition. Careful with what I do and mindful of how to really take care of it.

But sure enough last weekend while camping in a FL State park a gust of wind in the middle of the night picked up my awning and swung it over the camper coming crashing down on the roof. Scared the heck out of myself and the Mrs. The awning was a mess, the aluminum poles twisted and broke out of it. That I can deal with, fix or replace. But I couldn't see the roof and I prayed no issues were going to be found when we took the trailer down. Unfortunately when I lowered that roof sure enough there was a hole punched in the Filon roof, which is like a fiberglass/gelcoat skin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hole is about the size of a 50 cent piece. Upset is an understatement, as I baby this thing since I know they are no longer made and parts are hard to come by. I'm looking for what is the best product to patch this hole up and get it looking as close to the tone and color of the original roof which is an off-white color.

I do not want to put any Eternabond tape, more looking to patch and match color. I've been looking at fiberglass repair kits as an option but I'm wondering if there is anything better than that for this fix? Any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks

2. 92coleman

92coleman New Member

Perhaps one of the many JB Weld products out there?

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Do a search for "filon roof" or "filon roof repair" and you'll come up tons of info.

4. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Eternabond

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Dicor self leveling lap sealant in white.

Clean and prep area with the manufacturer's recommended product and procedure and then apply the product.

Once it starts to set up dab it lightly with a paint brush to add texture and it will be hard to notice.

6. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Fasttimes7: I feel your pain. The exact same thing happened to me on our second trip. Learned the lesson not to use awning on blustery days. I bought a 4" wide roll of Eternabond - really expensive stuff - and applied a 6" long piece over the quarter sized hole that was punched. Stuck and sealed like white on rice. That stuff is no joke. The only reason I wouldn't leave it there for the life of the camper is it's annoying to see. I could take it to a fiberglass shop to patch it. The rest of my 50' roll sits in the garage for the next time I need to vacuum seal anything air tight.

7. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

With resell in mind, Eternabond is not an option. I've got some left over Sikaflex 221 that I used on it to caulk the roof seems and the color was pretty close. Wonder if that could be used to fill in the hole? Stuff dries pretty hard.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The Sikaflex should work. I would work in 3 layers. The first to fill the cracks, the second to start leveling the depression and the last to fully level and finish the surface. Be sure to feather out the edges on all layers. Allow curing time between each layer but check the tube to make sure you don't allow it to set up too hard.

When you recaulk the seams in the future you should check the patch to make sure it's still sealed.

myride likes this.
  9. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

I would suggest that prior to making the patch, drill a small hole at the very end of the narrow part of the gouge and if that is a crack at a right angle to the gouge, drill another one at the end of it in order to prevent the cracks from progressing.

myride likes this.
  10. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

What year is it?

11. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

Yeah, I'm going to drill out the crack lines I see.

Year is 2007 Fleetwood Williams-burg model.

12. TheEscoMos

TheEscoMos New Member

We have an aluminum roof (I think) that had an encounter with our garage door opener and got a shallow but long gash. I was very upset about it just like you. My husband used this 2 part epoxy to fix it and it seems like a really solid long term solution: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AB4A8M/
    Only downside is it is dark grey but I think I can paint it white (if I ever get around to it). He masked off the area with tape and the patch looks nice and neat.

13. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

I too have punched a hole in my Filon roof, but with a bicycle handlebar. I used a fiberglass repair kit. True the color isn't a great match, but I have not had a leak in 4+years. And since it's in the middle of the roof it's not noticeable

14. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Though I don't have any pictures, I had a similar situation punch a hole in my Avalon's roof. I used 2 part epoxy to fill it in and sanded the fill with some 150 grit paper. Scrubbed the entire roof with TSP, then I touched up the area with exterior latex paint (color was sightly off) and coated the entire roof with SealKrete for UV protection. SealKrete also made my sun faded roof look like new again while sealing and protecting it. Still contemplating using a roof coating over the SealKrete but haven't done it yet....

Adam

15. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

2007, I'd say whatever it takes to prevent a leak won't affect resale much

16. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Good time to put Grizzly seal on whole roof... after the repairs.

myride likes this.
  17. CarribeanCamper

CarribeanCamper CarribeanCamper

Marine rec. Ace hardware or any West Marine. For less then $20 for a lifetime and easy to sand down.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

18. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

**Update**

So after reviewing old posts on the subject matter I decided to follow these procedures from CampingFamily1 back in 2008 http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=16154.0. I went to Walmart and in the automotive section and got a 5 min 2 part Epoxy from Permatex. Walmart didn't have the paint mentioned in that post from the past so I had to go to a Pep Boys. There I got the recommended Ford Oxford Touch Up paint, but also saw a can of paint that looked more like the color of my Filon roof, it is Dupli-Color Wimbledon White.

I drilled out the ends of the four pronged hole to prevent spidering. Then I applied the 2-part epoxy. The packaging said dries clear, but turns yellow in sun. Well, this stuff turned yellow right away. But that wouldn't be an issue since I'd be sanding it and painting.
    [​IMG]

I then sanded down the raised "scab" of epoxy with a emery-like drill attachement, and some 600 grit paper. I probably could have done a better job had I been more patient, but it'll do. Cleaned off with a bit of acetone.
    [​IMG]

I tested the two paints I bought and went with the Wimbledon White. It seemed more of a match to my Filon roof color, which is off white leaning towards the cream/yellow side. I'm not sure if that is the color it came from the factory or if it was more white and the sun turned it this tone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the end I'm ok with the outcome. The paint color is close, not exact, but good enough for me. I'm not going to put on any clear coat or sealer at this time and will observe how long it handles the weather.

BelchFire likes this.
  19. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Nice fix, and if you are happy that is all that matters

daleick likes this.
  20. daleick

daleick New Member

My 2007 Coleman Utah suffered 16 punch dent/holes due to golf ball and larger size hail this week. Is it worth trying to fix? Will insurance total it? I’ve envr had an insurance claim on my pup trailer in 18 years of owning them. Have loved my Utah, and never had a problem except with the stepper door.

Any thoughts or suggestions?