What tools and spare parts do you bring camping?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by David Branley, Sep 20, 2019.

1. David Branley

David Branley New Member

Starting to think through the tool kit i need to bring with me when I'm towing the pup. I already carry a basic kit in the TV but i can think of a few items i will bring in addition
    - 18 v Electric drill plus crank attachment and spare battery
    - 12 v fuses
    - Selection of Light Bulbs for Marker lights, brake lights, trailer interior
    - Rubber Washers for hoses (fresh and grey water)
    - Multi-meter / Voltmeter
    - Silicon Tube and Caulking Gun

What spares are in your camping kit?

Garrity likes this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Dry lube and duck tape. Amazing how many times I need duck tape for something.
    I personally stopped bringing my big kit with me for short trips I was collecting too much stuff for the camper and now only bring the essentials. Figuring for my weekend trips I don’t need the big kit as I could take care of it when I get home. Longer trips the kit comes.

WannaTravel and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Stuff to change your trailer tire. Also a set of wheel bearings and tools to change.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

You can fix anything with duct tape. If it can't be fixed with duct tape, you need a bigger hammer. [:D]

Garrity, Natureangel and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

shrink tubing, butt connectors and appropriate tools for use , lighter, small flashlight, jack, duct tape, portable air compressor, pressure gauge,4 way screwdriver, fuses, bulbs, multimeter, laser thermometer, spare bearings grease seals 2 spare tires ,small socket and wrench set,tire changing tools, etc. I pretty well carry enough to repair anything (tool box in truck bed)

6. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Whatever you carry, my big lesson learned from last is, don't store them in the pup, or at least, not in a spot you can't get to them without raising the roof. Lift cable broke last year, and of course all of the tools where in the largest storage area I have: underneath the front bench.

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I never used to carry one all the time, but I am going to start keeping my hatchet in my rig all the time. I had to pound the snot out of a bent plate last weekend, and I was glad I had it to do so. Plus, I can attend to any birds I harvest, which is why it was in there in the first place. Firewood? Ha, no thanks.

Garrity likes this.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

This week, the mallet came in handy a couple times. Once to pop the hitch off the ball and then to loosen and tighten the lug nuts on the flat tire.

I am also adding several removable chain links to my kit. Fortunately, the zip ties held my tow chain together, but I would have preferred an actual link.

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Tire changing tools. I found a cool collapsible lug wrench that I can use as a cross or a t handle for greater torque.
    Rubber mallet.
    Small socket set.
    Plumbing repair tools - mine uses PEX inside so I have a crimp tool, cutter and fittings.
    Multimeter, electrical tape and associated connectors, tools and wires.
    Ratchet screwdriver with various bits.
    Duct tape.
    Magnetic lights.
    Gardening knee pad.
    Big long handled flat blade screwdriver.
    BFH

That is about it for tools I think.

10. alabasterjar

alabasterjar Member

I have had to access the door lock mechanism on a trip... Drill, properly sized bits (to drill out rivets, notice plural), replacement rivets, rivet gun. Also, some bearing grease, socket big enough to drive the bearing out of the race, nitrite gloves, paper towels, volt meter, wire cutter/stripper and vice grips. Ah, yes, vice grips; the tool equivalent of duct tape....