What type of glue to repair rubber gasket seals around door hatches?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Fasttimes7, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

The rubber gaskets around the large door lid and side lid of my campers front storage compartment are coming undone. I'm hoping there is some type of glue out there that can be used to put the rounded edged rubber gasket back in place and stay in place.

Any suggestions?

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

3. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

I recently had to replace the seals around the two top hatches on the Chalet's front bunker. The tip off they needed replacement was finding water standing in the bucket inside. Seals had dried out, cracked and crumbled.

Found suitable replacement seal material at McMaster-Carr. The seals are a U-shaped channel that presses on the edge of the molded fiberglass, with a D-shaped bulb to seal against the bottom of the hatch. Loctite Stick and Seal Outdoor Adhesive seems to have worked well to get secure attachment and a seal against water. Application technique was to apply adhesive to 2-3 inches of fiberglass, then force seal into place. Were I to do the job again I would wear an old shirt and vinyl gloves.

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I agree with JPBar... the 3M weatherstrip adhesive works great for many applications! Comes in yellow or black if it matters.

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Goop

6. Fless

Fless Active Member

The trick that most people miss when using the 3m Super stuff is to use only a little and let it get tacky. Most want to put a lot on and make the contact right away.

neighbormike likes this.