What type of roof do I have?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Hallfamily2011, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Hallfamily2011

Hallfamily2011 New Member

Hello! I have a 1990 Coleman Sun Valley pop up. I have been scouring posts looking for something that looks like mine in order to know what product might be best for coating/sealing the roof. My question is that I can't figure out, based on the information at hand, what type of roof is on my Sun Valley. Since it has seams (a center and two side seams) I don't think it's an ABS roof (?). It appears to be metal of some sort. I am not that well versed in the type of roofs that Coleman made on various trailers. I do have the manual but it doesn't specify. The roof is not in that great of shape but the roof racks have started to pull away and this has caused the roof to leak.
    Right now - it sounds like Grizzly Grip would be the best product to coat the entire roof, after placing eternabond tape over the seams? I don't intend to replace the roof racks once I take them off so the eternabond will cover the screw holes?? Would dicor be a good choice to seal the screw holes, then eternabond? Our popup is essentially a tent trailer as I've taken out the sink/stove and the electrical doesn't work. We love it though and I'd like to get more use out of it. If you have any ideas I'd appreciate it - I will post a picture tomorrow once the sun's up :)

Thank you!
    Summer

2. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

At this link on Popup Portal you can check the 1990 Coleman Brochure. Unfortunately, I looked and didn't see a mention of the type of roof in the 1990 brochure, but you might want to download it for your records, along with an owners manual.

Is your roof delaminating? Can you upload a picture and share the link of the worst parts?
    That would help others to know how to advise.

Some roofs never had a problem. Just a certain percentage of roofs.

3. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Your roof is aluminum. Coleman didn't produce the ABS roof until 1996.

Hallfamily2011 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I think pictures would help. I'm thinking it's an aluminum roof. I know on some models they used an aluminum roof with a center seam. However I'm not aware of three seams. Unless you are talking about the endcaps.

Hallfamily2011 likes this.
  5. Hallfamily2011

After looking at the roof today I realized it's like you described. The main portion is metal with a center seam and the end portions are plastic (?). I've attached some pictures. I have read a lot about delamination but I honestly don't know what it looks like! I believe water may have entered the camper due to the roof rails detaching. The trim on the endcaps seems to be metal, and possibly the center seam trim ..? Any discoloration on the roof appears as though paint has just been rubbed off. Again, I'm not sure what delamination looks like in order to definitely say that's what I see. IMG_20190722_073352476.jpg IMG_20190722_073352476.jpg IMG_20190722_073402273.jpg IMG_20190722_073402273.jpg IMG_20190722_073352476.jpg IMG_20190722_073453590.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Hallfamily2011

Thank you! I have the manual but it didn't give this information. I appreciate it! :)

7. Hallfamily2011

Yes, I was wrong about the number of seams! I love this little camper and just want to shore it up a bit!

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Yes, and no. :wink: Fleetwood introduced the seamless ABS Strata roof on selected models for the 1996 model year. However, my own 1969 Coleman CT380 which I purchased new had what was called "a new one piece seamless top made from a space-age polymer material" which may also have been an ABS formulation.

[​IMG]

It also had a stepper door, one piece entry door, and side mounted tongue jack, all of which were leagues ahead of the competition. Our 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe which we purchased new 30 years later also had a seamless one piece roof, stepper door, one piece entry door, and side mounted tongue jack.

[​IMG]

9. Ranger3318

Ranger3318 New Member

My 1990 Shenandoah had the same roof. I don't think they used them for too many years. The center section is (I think) 1 piece of aluminum with a center support down the middle. The ends are plywood then capped with abs. The problem you will have with doing away with the roof rack is, the bolts holding the rack on the ends also holds that abs cap on. For filling the old holes, I recommend proflex rv. It's what Coleman uses to seal the seams on their alumatite roofs. Proflex also makes an aluminum roof sealer. Don't know if that will work for you or not. Another good product is Liquid EPDM for rv's. It's pricy though ($300 for 5 gallons)

10. Hallfamily2011

It is definitely an aluminum roof, which is currently sitting on my garage floor waiting for me to start the final clean & rebuild tomorrow. :) Spent the past 2 days with a wire brush attachment on my drill and a LOT of gross, molded styrofoam and luan. I'm going to post pics in another thread of the rebuild project and maybe get some more ideas. :)