What was the first Portal thread?

Discussion in 'Hey PUP Staff, Let me tell you what I think!' started by tzmartin, May 7, 2019.

1. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Hey y'all, i was just feeling nostalgic and wondered what the first topic on the Popup Portal was. Any leads?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I have no idea. Most likely not on the site anymore as we lost a lot of old posts years ago during a transfer to a new server.

tzmartin likes this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Let me take a stab! "How do I get it up?"

Milemaker13 and tzmartin like this.
  4. p

p Active Member

Bravo

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I figured it was probably popupsteve saying something like "I just bought a camper and thought I'd tell you about it."

I vaguely remember the old format. It was certainly a more primitive version of what we have now.

Another question: Does the advertising pay for the administration of the site? Are you out any money for this valuable site? I never see a fundraiser request.

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

During the old format, (which I hesitate to say that I still liked the look of the old one better, but thats a whole other can of worms), there were provisions to be able to donate money to the site to keep it all going. It was called 'throwing a log on the fire'. You were awarded gold coins under your screen name to show that you had made a donation. Steve does this all as a hobby aside from his regular job. Last time a talked with him at a rally, I'm sure he said that all money coming into the site goes to equip maint, none of it goes to him.

neighbormike likes this.
  7. p

p Active Member

Steve's ikigai is this site.

tzmartin likes this.
  8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I had to look it up but still don't know how to say it. ;)

Ikigai (生き甲斐, pronounced [ikiɡai]) is a Japanese concept that means "a reason for being." The word "ikigai" is usually used to indicate the source of value in one's life or the things that make one's life worthwhile.

tzmartin likes this.