What was the "last straw" for you ?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by blackbear, Jul 11, 2013.

1. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

What one factor or incident caused you to move to the dark side ? We want to know [?:~{] [:(].

2. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

I actually started on the dark side and moved to the pup. I'll never go back. It felt to closed in for my liking but with the pup and all the windows I feel like I can breath again.

3. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

A river ran thru my tent and soaked EVERYTHING, I had a Pup asap [8D]

4. Sportside

Sportside Member

Hurricane Sandy [:(!]

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

After one too many times having to pack up a wet pup, we went to the darkside and let me tell you... That first time, the DW got up at 4am for a bathroom run and I didn't have to get up as well and walk to the restroom (at the campground) I was sold... I wonder why we didn't make the move sooner...

6. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

needed more bed space, ease of setup and use hasn't hurt either.

7. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

4th of July 2011, dog ripped off the awning pole, screaming wife, stress of a 3 year old daughter. Brought it home, didn't use it in August, Hurricane Irene hit, and I boondocked all week long. Parked it closed up in the garage, went to move to winterize, and my wife backed me right into a 4 cord wood pile. Hole in the pup, drove it right to dealer and traded it in. Kissed 4 grand goodbye and socked 2 of it on a credit card for a monthly reminder of the misery.

8. Manper

Manper New Member

I am ready to move my last straw is growing shorter by the minute. The setup & tear down is wearing on me [V]

9. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Still love the PUP but the setup/takedown is wearing me down. When the kids stop going camping, that may push us over the edge.

10. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG] This is a ton more fun. Heavy 11700lb gcw.
    [​IMG]

11. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

Hurricane Hannah.

My daughter ,Hannah, who hit the gas instead of the brakes on my minivan and slammed into the pup, sending it 10 feet into my back yard, snapping the lift system and bending the poles (the pup was up at the time).

12. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Set up and take down is much quicker, don't have to open the clean especially after a continuous rain.

13. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

30 years and 4 P'ups, kids grown and gone....then a Grandchild made the DW talk about a new camper. She fell in love looking at a HTT at the campground and the search began.

14. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

My husband would say it was the steep hill to the bathroom at the last campground we stayed in with the popup... I might have complained a bit. But, really for me it was the total lack of space in our small 8 foot popup.

Now everyone has a place to sleep. We can leave a lot of our camping things in the TT rather than loading and unloading every trip. We have tons of storage. Added benefits of a fridge /freezer and that bathroom. I know he likes the fact that there are no moving parts like the bed ends.
    I'll miss the big screen windows a lot.

15. CalKat

CalKat Member

Since we have a porta potti in the PU, I don't have to leave it at night to do any "business".

And the set up, take down is worth it. With the canvas I feel like I'm actually camping and I can hear the river flow and the wind in the trees.

16. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

So far we really like ours, but Heat & Cold might make a difference in the long run.

We don't have A/C on our Pup. And I can't see put one on it either. Sort of takes away from the "Fresh Air" feeling with all the screens. Privacy might also be a concern with changing clothes inside, do you put up all the canvas in the heat of the day, or do you squat down so no one will see you? Not so bad for the guys, but the ladies have to be carefull.

We will see how often we can even get out to camp this year and maybe next year if we can get a good trade in we might look into the Darkside?

17. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

I used to just pull the curtains for privacy,,,,,,,,,,

but usually I had the AC going,,,,,,,,in Florida, that's a must.

18. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

we got a aliner, just the two of us now but the kids still come with us often with there tents. we tent camped before with saw-horses for a bed in a tent. we thought we'd extend our camping season both ways. its warmer, sets up under two minutes, and the biggest last straw is bears. calif went from 11000 bears 10yrs ago to over 30000 now. primative tent camped 30years and had bears last 3 years in a row up here in el dorado national forrest.

19. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

As others have said, it was the setup and take down that made it hard to keep the PUP. But there were also other things and in the end, both my DW and I agreed we just deserved something for ourselves.

20. MetalDad

MetalDad New Member

I hadn't reached my last straw yet, still love my PUP. But the Mrs., that's different. One of the last trips we took, while a great trip, ended up raining on the last day. The site bed was coquina, which means little bits of sand and shell stuck to everything, and standing water that looks like really milky coffee.

Packing up the PUP, 3 kids, and a 60lb puppy is miserable in the rain, and the drive home is less than woo-hoo! This was the second time this year it happened. And having to re-pop and dry out is a drag!

She was over the bathroom/shower bit as well, and didn't want the quality of our camping sites gauged on how close to the bath house we were.

We discussed going to a HTT, which would have been fine for me, but a friend was selling their 28ft bunkhouse TT prior to a move north, and the price was great! So we dove on in to the darkside! Our last trip with the PUP resulted in a great weekend, then after packing up, a stop by Disney to pick up the TT from our friends that enjoyed their last trip in it. Pulled both campers home (we took 2 vehicles), and now I have 2 campers, until such a time as I can sell the PUP.

I've been having a blast tinkering and modding. New roof, new graphics...

We took it out for July 4th, and it was great. We were a 10 min walk from the bath house, so having plumbing and our own shower was a game changer. Set-up is a bit easier, packing up is way easier.

Towing, not so much... I had to get a brake controller and tow mirrors, and a tool to pry my cramped white knuckles off the steering wheel. And "making good time" is no longer an issue, I'd rather get there safely than quickly.

But, shhh, my rally-mates don't know I switched yet!