What will you tell your grand kids.

kreich

May 5, 2007
Hale Center TX
Can't wait till he grows up (1YR OLD) and tell him the following.

I remember when we reserved camp sites for 15-20 bucks.
I remember when I use to buy a ice creame cone for 2.50
I remember when my first truck cost 30 K
I remember when a candy bar was 1.29
I remember my first pup was 12 K

He will say " Boy grandpa things were cheap back then"

fmbhappycamper

PuP Power
Aug 27, 2010
we had to get up and go to the TV=television and turn a knob to change channels
we had to hang clothes on a clothesline and use stiff towels and wear stiff jeans
a microwave was what only rich people had, I mean "well to do people"
yea, I'm old, but .......................fill in the blank [8D]

Nascar Fan

Super Active Member
Nov 18, 2008
Washington, PA
Well...................when they were younger, it was let's go camping! Now it is football games, soccer, track and and dance recitals. That's ok, pap pap and grandmaw will be there for them! Summer is over and let the games begin.

electronflux

Super Active Member
Jun 16, 2010
....I remember when gas was less than $1,
candy bars were .50,
seat belts were optional,
there was no such thing as a cell phone,
there were only LPs and 8 tracks or reel to reel tapes,
the Cleveland Browns, Cavaliers and Indians were actually pretty good at one time

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
You guys are making me feed very old ...... I remember gas for 24.9 and penny candy and a mounds bar was a dime. As for telling my grandkids .... they have no wants or needs ......... so telling them how much things were ..... would not have the effect as it did on us.

azbirddog42

Bullhead City, Arizona
Aug 25, 2009
Bullhead CIty, AZ
....I remember when gas was .19 cents a gallon
candy bars were nickle
we did not have seat belts
we had 2 and 3 people on a party phone
there were only 78 records and record players
we listen the the radio programs because there
was no Television until 1948.
Jeez, I'm so old that it is scaring me..... [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

chippers

Jun 17, 2011
Back in the old days phones stayed attached to the wall. Being outside or away from home meant missing calls! [:O]
In the really dark ages, there weren't even machines attached to the phone to record messages.
And we all survived without being in constant contact.

RumbleStrip

Apr 1, 2011
internet,computers,cell phones wasnt around,8 track LP and 45,reel to reel was used, if u had color tv u was well off, penny candy, pack of smokes was .55 gas .60
Didnt have to lock the car or house when you wasn't around [LOL] roller and ice skates was in, ahh the good ole days

Dusty82

Super Active Member
Jun 23, 2008
Northern Nevada
My friends and I used to take our pellet guns to school and went rabbit hunting on the way home.
Gas was 22¢ a gallon, and my mother quit smoking when cigarettes went up to 35¢ a pack.
We didn't have MTV - we had to take drugs and go to concerts.
We rode around all day long in the bed of grandpa's pick-up without a helmet, seat belt, or even anything to hold onto.
There were 3 channels on TV, and they all went off the air after the 11pm news.
There were only 5-6 AM radio stations - no FM at all.
Getting $5 for your birthday was a HUGE deal.
We didn't have video games or virtual reality - we went outside to play in actual reality.
"Texting a friend" meant passing notes back and forth in class.

Yooperwannabe

Super Active Member
Mar 31, 2006
Clinton, Illinois
I remember when we had transistor radios, party lines on the telephone, stores that were called 5 and 10's and you could actually get something for a penny, and nickle would get you a whole bag of candy. Girls had to wear dresses to school, and at school the pledge of allegiance was recited every morning. Cigarettes were sold in machines and anyone, any age could buy them(this could explain my need for oxygen today). Children could play outside till the street lights came on and neighbors watched out for their neighbors.

kreich

May 5, 2007
Hale Center TX
My folks walked up hill both ways to school. (so they say) Now kids need the status symbol to drive them selves. Families set at a table and enjoyed supper together no matter how long it took.

twstdpear

Party like it's 2012!
Jan 18, 2009
Northern VA
You kids don't know how good (?!) you have it with your always-connected phones and computers. When my first computer had two 5-1/4" floppy drives and you had time to go make and possibly eat lunch while it booted up. There was no Internet (effectively true). You had to call up bulletin boards (similar in concept to forums) via land lines and pray no one else in the house picked up the phone while you were connected. When you posted, people may not reply for days. If you had something important to say, you actually had to pick up the phone and call someone, and then pray they were home, because voicemail or even answering machines didn't exist yet (I think).

To connect those bulletin boards, i had to use a modem. My first modem was a 300 baud acoustical coupler, which required you to dial the number on the phone, then put the handset into the coupler. It transferred data at a whopping 300 BITS per second which is about 1/66666th of my current 20Mbit cable line at home.

So, stop complaining when you have to wait to download something or someone hasn't instantly responded to your text, because you don't know how good you have it.

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
I am already telling my kids (9 & 3):

I remember when WalMart sold candy bars for 33 cents...
When you had to "flip over" the cassette to hear more music...
Camping cost $3-5 per night...
We used phones to call and actually TALK to people, and if you wer eon the phone and someone called, they got a busy signal and would have to try back later...
I remember gas at 99 cents in the mid to late 80s...
I remember cars that got 60 mpg and ran clean without all this extra "emissions" crap (late 80s to 90s Geo Metro, VW Rabbits, etc)...
The early cell phones had a box the size of a toaster oven that needed to be plugged into the car at all times...
McDonalds was an occasional treat, not a regular weekly meal (although we still don't eat out much with them)....
Video games actually took longer than a day or two to beat. I remember Zelda, Final Fantasy and others that would take weeks or months to beat, and even then after beating them it restarted you in a harder level for several more months worth of gaming...
You needed a strong cabinet to hold up the bulky TV as it weighed over 100 lbs., not like these lightweight LCD TVs...
I remember my first power bills when I was out on my own in the late 90s was under $100 (instead of now ranging from $250-300/mo)...

Plenty more but this is all I could think of when I saw this thread....

Yooperwannabe

Super Active Member
Mar 31, 2006
Clinton, Illinois
Unstable_Tripod said:
On the other hand, there was a horrible war in Korea and through the '50s and '60s we were afraid that the US and USSR would blow each other to hell with nuclear weapons.

I almost mentioned hiding under our desks at school when we had air raid drills, as if the desk would save us from the doon of fall out.