What would you do?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by jmkay1, Jul 3, 2019.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Let me start out saying, I never cancel a camping trip, but now I'm worried. I have a trip coming this month and just the other day I busted my knee. I'm currently on crutches and even though I don't need surgery the doctor is telling me the type of injury I have could take months to heal although I may be able to ditch the crutches sooner. This trip I "may" have help it may end up just being me as well. I'm leaning towards just giving it a try. My parents live three hours from the campground so as a last resort I could get help. It's Six hours from home and my doctor though. If my brother comes he can easily set up, however he has a tendency to go too fast and break things. My niece can do pretty much anything IF she doesn't get distracted. Well, distraction is her middle name. That's assuming they are coming. As of right now it looks like they are. It's going to be dang hard to release my control of set up of my camper to them but any day of camping is better than not. I'm sure I can do some setup but know I will be feeling it later.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I suggest that, when you feel up to it, you do a run through at home to see if you are able to set up on your own. That would answer a lot of your questions before you decide to cancel.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

A few years ago I had a stress fracture in my knee and it was a bit painful and swollen. It took it's time healing! Anyway, I could not bend my knee all that much, let alone kneel down on it. Like BikeNFish said above, do a trail run with someone there just in case you can't finish the setup. If you can't camp have a Plan "B" (Hotel?). Nothing worse than realizing a day or two camping that you should not have gone camping!!!

4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Dry runs are absolutely called for, however do NOT go alone. You will need help with all sorts of things on the trip.

kitphantom likes this.
  5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Can you drive?

Sjm9911 and Orchid like this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear of your injury! I agree with @dbhost - I would make sure your brother & niece can be there yo assist you. Missing a trip would suck, but further damage to your knee would be far worse!

dbhost likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This was my first question as well. Speaking as someone that went for years with two knees needing replaced, I can tell you that bad knees don't do well with long distance drives. Even if it's your left knee, and you drive an automatic, it's likely going to cause pain and swelling. It may not happen in the first hour, but 6 hours is going to be difficult.

If someone else is driving, be sure to sit where you can stretch out your leg and prop it up.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I agree that the driving is the biggest concern. You don't want to do more damage just by driving.

Last summer, I broke my hand. I had plans to take my trailer out camping about a month later. I quickly realized that hitching and setting up would be difficult on my own. So, I adjusted things. I took my motorhome on that trip and took the trailer on the next one instead.

With the motorhome, I didn't have to hitch/unhitch, raise walls, move things around, etc. It was simply drive there, park and camp. However, I did find that while I could light the fridge, I couldn't light the water heater. I ended up asking a fellow camper who graciously did it for me. The rest of the trip, I just hung out and read.

The next trip with the trailer, I was healed enough that I could hitch and unhitch and push up the walls without much issue.

What I found to be the most affected part of camping was walking the dogs. I just didn't have the dexterity to manage their leash well with my submissive hand (I broke my dominant) and even months later my dominant hand had difficulty grasping things.

So, do a trial run at home for setup. But also, think about other things - making a campfire, carrying water from the spigot, walking to the restrooms, etc. Things that normally wouldn't be even a blip on your radar of "can I do it" but with an injured knee could be difficult if not impossible.

If your brother and/or niece can join you, you have two options:

1. Tell them ahead of time that you are going to micromanage them during the setup and that they need to follow your instructions to the letter.

or

2. Have your chair set as far away from the camper as possible. Go sit facing the scenery and not the trailer, with a cold drink. Put on headphones and listen to music until they come over and say "we're all set up". Then don't look or focus on any setup thereafter.

The 2nd will be more difficult for you put will keep the peace.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You guys do bring up some fair points. I managed to drive 2 hours without too many pains thankfully. Walking the dog is very tough but she's going to Grandma's;). Your right about needing to think about the little things. I often don't think about it until I do it. Luckily I have a toilet in the camper , so that's one thing down. Just remembered the camper is not dewinterized yet so Your right about water runs, didn't think about that. Geeze looks like it entirely depends if my brother can come or not. No way I can carry water or crawl on the ground to access the water pump. Thanks everyone for helping me think things through. There is always more to camping then what you first think.

10. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

So sorry to hear about your knee. I hope your brother will be able to go with you. A camping trip would be a nice way to get away if truly, you're able to take it easy and let others do the work.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I camp on my own (+ pooch) so this kinda hits home... I know I would do my damnest to go, but there is a lot to consider. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

jmkay1 likes this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Not sure how your toilet is set up, but make sure you have room to use it with a bad knee. Also can you easily get on and off it without a problem.

I found my trip to be very relaxing overall. I had a great excuse to just sit around and do nothing but read.

13. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

I like your parents meeting you at the campsite to get things set up. When they have done that, you're free to simply relax and heal. Good luck!

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If others come they could help you set up, just be prepared to watch and direct them( nicely). Also, be prepared to slow down the reguler activities and make a short easy menu to cook. No need to be hobbling in and out of the camper for stuff. And make sure you have a bag that you can sling over your arm( so you can do less trips in and out of the camper). You'll be fine. It beats sitting at home!

neighbormike and hayyward like this.
  15. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

I’m so sorry about your injury. That has to be very hard for you to depend on someone else. (You and I have always seemed to be independent minded women!) Can you have their help dewinterizing maybe? A little less to break in that than in full setup. Then try camp driveway.

Or if it’s just the toilet that’s an issue, I buy a 5 gallon bucket, a toilet seat lid from Walmart for $12, and Double Doody bags for about $12 a box on amazon. It worked for us tent camping for years.

16. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

jmkay, Hope you recover quickly and get back out again asap. Take care.