What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by WrkrBee, May 2, 2021 at 4:05 PM.

Tags:
  1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

So, it was windy last week on Clark's Hill Lake. We rolled in to set up. Two sites over, this was going on and you knew it was going to get worse. Of course, no one was there. Do you run over and take it down, cut the big upwind sail off, try to tie it down, or leave it and let them learn.

Wind1.jpg

Yes, it happened.
    Wind2.jpg

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If you want to be nice you try and take it down, other then that your left with your 2nd pic.

Sweetpea likes this.
  3. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Once upon a time I would have gone over and fixed things up as well as I could. These days, people are so litigious that I wouldn't want to be accused and sued and have the cops called because I tried to help but bent the frame on their gazebo. If I had spoken with them previously (I tend to be a friendly but unobtrusive camping neighbor) and if they seemed cool, I would help out.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Ouch! Had something similar happen to me with my screenhouse. Thankfully the neighbor chose to to take it down for me. He came over to explain when I got back. Apparently there was this crazy windstorm localized over the campground that hit when I was out hiking. Judging by the chairs and tarps laying all around I believed him.

5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We'd probably try & take it down before the damage was done, & for sure take pics, hoping they were half azz understanding, but Dave Brick's comment is worth considering for sure...not sure what you could do once crap hit the fan as viewed in the 2nd pic, coin flip...

6. brettstoner

brettstoner Member

Not my circus, not my monkeys. Adversity is a great teacher. I personally would not do anything unless the owners were present and were struggling or requested assistance. Too easy to be accused of causing harm vs. trying to prevent harm.

jdsdj98 and Momnipotent like this.
  7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Live and learn

Momnipotent likes this.
  8. Jerold Harter

Jerold Harter New Member

Judging from all the junk lying around their site, I think some lessons learned from experience would be therapeutic. I also agree with the liability concern post but will add another angle. Suppose the helpful old guy neighbor wanders over there to take down the then and blows out his shoulder when the wind whips the sail at just the wrong moment. He might become the litigious one and sue the tent owner. Don't forget to check the liability coverage on your RV insurance.

Momnipotent and Steve Farley like this.
  9. Momnipotent

Momnipotent New Member

My husband would have run to rescue them, whether they were present or not. I would not have done anything and tried to hold him back. It’s what I call a teachable moment. We cannot rescue everyone, nor should we try. As some mentioned earlier you don’t know litigious some folks are and sadly, the good guys suffer for it. If, they had been around and looked like they needed help I’d offer.

Dnodoz likes this.
  10. Mary Bordeaux

Mary Bordeaux Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't have an answer, except maybe if it was me, I'd appreciate the help? I'm more interested in a SC guy/gal calling it Clarks Hill Lake, I thought all you folks were calling it Storm Thurmond Lake. LOL Augusta gal here, it will always be Clarks Hill to us! Speaking of which, we're heading up that way in a couple weeks, staying at the Ft. Gordon Rec Area. I know, it's Pointes West now, but why change that either!

Deb Posey likes this.
  11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

We were at Mistletoe State Park. Lake is called Clarks Hill there. We checked out Petersburg COE campground while there and that may be one of our near future runs.

12. Coulter Wood

Coulter Wood Member

I would definitely try to help them out. Mainly because I'd really appreciate it if somebody helped me out in that situation.

Lisa Molnar and Sweetpea like this.
  13. bronsta

bronsta Member

Well, it looks like its kinda late to be asking :)
    Is that Lucy & Dezi's camper?

Sweetpea likes this.
  14. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I try to help people in need and not worry about litigation. Its the right thing to do. Since you took the pictures we can see what you did. (absolutely no judgement intended)

SafariJeepXJ likes this.
  15. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Not knowing them or seeing or even previously chatted with them
    I would not have done anything.

16. SafariJeepXJ

SafariJeepXJ New Member

100% would have helped out, and I would hope someone would do the same for me. I'm not scared of getting sued over a $100 awning. I'd rather take the "do unto others" approach and help someone out. Not every attempt to help works out the way you want it to, but I hate to see the one in 1000 time where someone gets mad for no reason keep me from helping 999 other people. The fear of getting sued is completely over"blown", especially in a situation like this. We need to stop being scared of each other and get to working together again.

17. Mary Bordeaux

Mary Bordeaux Member Gold Supporting Member

Both are nice parks. But Pointes West is the only one on the lake with sewer hookups so that's where we go. A long, long time ago (30plus years), I used to camp at Hamilton Branch SP on the SC side, nice big sites with lots of trees. At that time, each site had its own outhouse. Not sure how it looks these days but we enjoyed the privacy.

18. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Suppose you decide to help out, get there in time, break down the gazebo with no damage, you feel like a hero, then go to the bathroom. Meanwhile, someone else goes in and swipes that nice blue Yeti cooler? (Maybe its an RTIC or other knockoff rotomolded cooler, but the point is the same) You didn't steal anything, you have a clear conscience, but you will be viewed with suspicion. Hell, I've had my Yeti coffee mug stolen right off my table at camp. My fault, I guess, I'm the one who left it out. I am OK with accepting the consequences of my actions.

Stake down your gazebo or don't complain about the consequences of not taking care of your stuff.

But truth be told, I have helped out other campers when damage was being done while they weren't around. I try to do the right thing, but I also try to use discretion.

Rik Peery likes this.
  19. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

At that point there isn't much you can do anyway. I've been made fun of for my tie down methods, but I always have my stuff at the end of the camping trip.

This SC guy grew up camping and fishing that lake. My grandfather died on that lake and the street he lived on in Modoc is named after him. It was Clarks Hill then and it's still Clarks Hill.

Really hard to go wrong on that lake. There are COE campgrounds on the SC side as well. Grew up camping at Modoc. Recently we've been staying at Hawe Creek. Among other things it's the quickest to reach for us.