What would you do?

Faced

Apr 29, 2012
So I am going on my 3rd year owning my 1970's Lionel Popup. I have put weeks of labour and sweat into a complete restoration on the pup. Customizing everything to my liking and needs. The canvas is going downhill fast and needs replacing, however last week my sister who just bought a cabin, called me with a offer.
On the property of the cabin there is a popup that came with the place. Its a 96 jayco eagle 8. Seems like a nice unit, but DW wants to keep the vintage camper as we have all the memories in it already, plus the upgrades we have done.

I could upgrade the Jayco if need be, but being a newer unit in amazing shape, I dont want to tear into it. just want to take it camping, and sell off my 70s' camper.

What would you do?

Storing both is not a option... I did toss out the idea of putting one on a seasonal site. But a popup is really not meant for that I dont think.

saratogaowner

May 23, 2012
I love vintage and your blood sweat and tears have gone into that thing I want to upgrade someday but I'm not getting rid of my 78 coleman

austinm48

http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48
Dec 5, 2011
Two is better than one .... And you could always find a storage place for it or a storage unit for as small as it is

MIPeaceDudeCamper

Jul 12, 2012
I think I'd look into how much a canvas replace is gonna cost and let that decide it. Maybe put both campers on Craigslist and see which one sells fastest? but wait until you get the promised PUP first, I have a lot of jerks in my family circle (hopefully you don't).

Cat_Therien

May 3, 2013
Would your sister let you store one or the other on the property she purchased? That way you could keep both.

Charlene

heckufaguy

Jun 2, 2010
MIPeaceDudeCamper said:
I think I'd look into how much a canvas replace is gonna cost and let that decide it. Maybe put both campers on Craigslist and see which one sells fastest? but wait until you get the promised PUP first, I have a lot of jerks in my family circle (hopefully you don't).

I restored a near one of a kind. My late malamute helped me with every second of the remodel, his golden years were spent with me working on it. I can't look at it and not remember him.
We bought a TT this winter. One time camping in it and while I love and enjoy the memories of the vintage pup, it won't be camped in again by me. Too many luxuries and much more space. Our new dogs love the new camper, and the old pup just was too tight of a fit with DW, me and near 180lb's of dogs.
I say get the new one, camp in it. Decide then if it's what you want. You may find it easier than you think to let the memories go to someone else with the vintage pup.

strangebird22

Sep 21, 2012
Maybe you could sell the newer one and use the money to replace the vintage canvas, and some other goodies you might want. If that is cool with the sister.

Faced

Apr 29, 2012
Cat_Therien said:
Would your sister let you store one or the other on the property she purchased? That way you could keep both.

Charlene
She wants it off the property, they are building, and need the space. :(

Strangebird22 said:
Maybe you could sell the newer one and use the money to replace the vintage canvas, and some other goodies you might want. If that is cool with the sister.
My hopes exactly, canvas is approx 1000$ and im sure the newer model can easily fetch that.

Dubbya

Wherever you go, there you are...
Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
Well, bud, I loved your Lionel rebuild but I'd snap up the newer camper, check it out and see how much work it needs then make my decision.

You can sell your old camper for $1500 to $2 g's on Kajijii without any problem and use the money for tires, repairs and mods on the Jayco.

The prime reason I'd suggest doing this is because the newer Jayco fabrics won't be as likely to leak as real canvas and it's a lot easier to find parts for than the Lionel.

Trust me, you can make memories in the newer camper too. ;)

Painstakingly typed with very large fingers from my teenie, tiny iPhone.