whats a good no see'im bug screen for the windows

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by dave123, Oct 31, 2020.

1. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

where would i get this make your own netting for windows at? to many bugs getting thru my current screen and driving us nuts thanks

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I don’t know the answer to your question but discovered at least on mine, 90% of the bugs that came in, came from the door especially at night and came from the 100 openings all around my canvas particularly up under the eves of the camper. Unfortunately once the bugs get in, there is no getting out so they stay the duration of the trip or until they reach a quick demise by someone. I’ve considered improvising a screen room in front of the door, much like the add a rooms they sell, figuring it can slow bugs getting in via the door at least. Perhaps you can buy those screens they sell for the canopys and jerry rig a way to hang them over your existing screens. Between the two screens it should work.

grandpa mikey and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I’ve been making a bunch of backpacking gear this year and have been hitting up www.ripstopbytheroll.com many times. They sell a few different varieties of noseeum mesh. I made a bugnet for our hammocks out of the .9 noseeum mesh and it’s pretty durable and easy to work with. It’s 54” wide, so if that’s tall enough to fit your windows it would be pretty easy to cut to size. You could just hand stitch it right onto the existing screens if you want to keep it easy yet functional. Coupling that with jmkay1’s tips should keep them all out.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/noseeum-mesh-fabric

If I was going to order some today I’d get the .9 “seconds” since some discoloration wouldn’t bother me.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collec...s/2nds-quality-0-9-oz-noseeum-mesh-slate-gray

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100%. Mostly i saw the bugs come in from any spot that has an opening, and especially at night with the lights on. Plug up the holes, get a nww paracord for the bunkends, after that you will still have bugs. My next step was a TT......

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We also found that most bug intrusion was at openings in our pups - spaces at the corners, around the lifter arm connections, etc. In the first one, I had scraps of no-see-um netting that I crumpled up and stuffed into the corners where bugs were coming in. In our small TT, they come in gaps next to the screens, at the roof vents, and the stove vent, which we leave clipped open for air circulation.
    One thing to remember if you camp in places that are hot is that the finer the mesh, the less air circulation there is. That's one reason our screen house only gets used when absolutely necessary, and that isn't an extremely fine mesh.

Sjm9911 likes this.