What's been your biggest camping issue to-date? (equip, breakdown, etc.)

Jamiee74

Jul 8, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
My issue has been tires. Been travelling the past two weeks in South Carolina and have had two blow outs on the PUP. One on each side. Second one caused a bit of damage to the moulding. I’m chalking it up to both age (maybe 6-7 years old), the fact that they just ‘sat’ in the driveway over the winter in Canada, and potentially my speed (60-65 mph). Tires are all brand new and I’m going to stick with going 55mph on the way home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 3

tuna helper

Jun 30, 2015
Some years ago I took my 32' TT to the lake for the weekend. My brother and his family were staying in the house, so we set up in the backyard. I plugged into the garage and the power minder/safety device seemed to be acting up, cutting the power every few seconds. I found out the main disconnect had bad connections and was arcing, so we went on battery power. When it came time to go, I found out that since I was still hooked up to my truck, it also drained my truck's batteries.
One jumpstart later and I was ready to go, or so I thought. The ground was not as solid as it seemed,, and I got stuck trying to pull out and turn around. Eventually my neighbor came out and with help from his work van we got the truck and trailer back on the road. Since my wife drove separately, I was going to go on ahead and she would finish up and bring the kids home. I was all set for a nice easy drive home, but before I even got off the dirt road and onto pavement, my brakes went out! I figured the drive was 90% highway, and I could use the trailer brakes for most most of the braking so I could save what brake fluid I had left, and headed home. Fortunately that was the last incident on that trip.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
The equipment that failed last month was me. Solo trip in Florida July, I overheated while setting up, spent 48 hours in the bunk. Finally got the strength to pack up and go home.
Canceled my August trip, considered selling the PUP, visited the ER and doctor.
Realized that I’m damn old.
Sorry to hear this happened to you. Heat can take a toll on anyone at any age. Don't let this get you discouraged! If camping is what you love, adjust and find a way to continue. Get a friend to help with setup/take down, or perhaps a small teardrop camper would be more suitable. Keep your chin up and keep doing what you love!

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
Sorry to hear this happened to you. Heat can take a toll on anyone at any age. Don't let this get you discouraged! If camping is what you love, adjust and find a way to continue. Get a friend to help with setup/take down, or perhaps a small teardrop camper would be more suitable. Keep your chin up and keep doing what you love!
Thanks for the encouraging words Dave. They come at the right time.

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
Some years ago I took my 32' TT to the lake for the weekend. My brother and his family were staying in the house, so we set up in the backyard. I plugged into the garage and the power minder/safety device seemed to be acting up, cutting the power every few seconds. I found out the main disconnect had bad connections and was arcing, so we went on battery power. When it came time to go, I found out that since I was still hooked up to my truck, it also drained my truck's batteries.
One jumpstart later and I was ready to go, or so I thought. The ground was not as solid as it seemed,, and I got stuck trying to pull out and turn around. Eventually my neighbor came out and with help from his work van we got the truck and trailer back on the road. Since my wife drove separately, I was going to go on ahead and she would finish up and bring the kids home. I was all set for a nice easy drive home, but before I even got off the dirt road and onto pavement, my brakes went out! I figured the drive was 90% highway, and I could use the trailer brakes for most most of the braking so I could save what brake fluid I had left, and headed home. Fortunately that was the last incident on that trip.
When I first read this, I read " my '32 TT" :)

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
I agree, or, if possible, find a cooler location to camp, if possible. I'm not gonna lie, the heat gets to me these days as well, and I have TWO pups to set up :(

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
My first disaster ended up being a blessing in disguise. When we bought our trailer (used) we found out on the first trip that the roof was leaking around the roof vent. After resealing it with dicor it was fine, however there were some signs of water damage when I removed the vent to inspect.

After a wet weekend trip I set the trailer up in our driveway to dry out. Came home from work to see we had some wind and the awning had blown up over the roof. [Never leave an awning out unsupervised folks]. Long story longer, the aluminum extrusion on the awning tore right thru the roof and into the trailer. Insurance replaced the roof and awning. Ended up for the best as this also cured my water damage issue from before.

First trip out with the new roof/awning we had a torrential down pour while sleeping. I had lowered the awning, but didn't leave enough of a pitch and it filled with water overnight. Our clue to this disaster was that in the AM the wife couldn't open the door. The weight of the water caused such a lean on trailer that we couldn't get out. I had to crawl out the area where the bunk canvas zips to the main canvas. I poked a hole in the awning material to let it drain. Dragged our picnic table over to the camper so I could dismantle the bent tangled mess of what was left of the awning. Thankfully there was no damage beyond the awning.

When I returned to the RV shop and asked to buy an awning he immediately recognized me and said "boy, you sure are tough on your awnings"

Knock on wood, 2 yrs now with the same awning... hope it continues to last. Wife and I laugh about this now, but there wasn't much laughter at the time!

Mark CASTELLANI

Platinum Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
almost blew up... REALY...almost BLEW UP!!

Got the N2U Clipper Express last year... It came with a 5# propane tank mounted on the A-Frame. previous owner had a flange that held the top of the tank to the upright secured with both a wing nut and a hole for a padlock

We were within 30 miles from Home after a 300 mile trip, when we hear extreme grinding noise coming from the back.. DW sticks her head out the window and SCREAMS "STOP, PULL OVER, PULL OVER...STOP!!"

well, "Mr. Double Check Everyting" (that would be me) forgot the padlock. After 250 miles, the wingnut came loose and the propane tank fell off. It lodged UNDER the PUP and was stopped by the axle. it was being dragged along the road... sparks a flying!!!

The blessed thing was that it was upright... fit perfectly upright under the PUP so the base flange was the only thing scrapping the road

TRULY, only by THE GRACE OF GOD!!

so, "Mr. Double Check" has become "Mr. TRIPPLE Check" and DW still let's me live (and she double checks MY tripple check)

Happy Trails!

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA

Got the N2U Clipper Express last year... It came with a 5# propane tank mounted on the A-Frame. previous owner had a flange that held the top of the tank to the upright secured with both a wing nut and a hole for a padlock

We were within 30 miles from Home after a 300 mile trip, when we hear extreme grinding noise coming from the back.. DW sticks her head out the window and SCREAMS "STOP, PULL OVER, PULL OVER...STOP!!"

well, "Mr. Double Check Everyting" (that would be me) forgot the padlock. After 250 miles, the wingnut came loose and the propane tank fell off. It lodged UNDER the PUP and was stopped by the axle. it was being dragged along the road... sparks a flying!!!

The blessed thing was that it was upright... fit perfectly upright under the PUP so the base flange was the only thing scrapping the road

so, "Mr. Double Check" has become "Mr. TRIPPLE Check" and DW still let's me live (and she double checks MY tripple check)

Happy Trails!

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County

Happy Trails!
the offending tank

12.jpg 13.jpg
Happy Trails!

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The equipment that failed last month was me. Solo trip in Florida July, I overheated while setting up, spent 48 hours in the bunk. Finally got the strength to pack up and go home.
Canceled my August trip, considered selling the PUP, visited the ER and doctor.
Realized that I’m damn old.
Yes, adjusting to changes is not for sissies. My creaky joints and other issues are why we’re now in a small TT. Still not fun to set up in the heat or pouring rain solo. It’s usually easier to take my time than with the pup.
Bonus in the heat, if we have power, is an a/c that works well, although a fan helps extend cold or hot air to the place I sit, the bathroom blocks air flow. We pulled in today to mid 80s, and no shade in a high elevation campground. Middle of the week is predicted to be chilly and rainy, so we may use the furnace at night.

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
I unfortunately don't remember how I managed to pull this one off, but once, I took the kids camping, and backed into a space that had wood pylons at the very back end. Never heard any crunch, never had any issues setting up. But when the time came to leave, somehow I'd found a way to back OVER one, and it was stuck between the rear bumper and the body! I had no jack with me that would work to lift the camper up over the pylon!

Some MacGyver moment popped into my head, and allowed me to prybar the bumper just enough over the pylon to get us free. Single dad, with 2 kids, stuck at campsite, and did not want to admit defeat and call somebody. You know many of you have been there too XD

Andy6

Aug 3, 2022
Winnipeg, Canada
I have quite a few but usually the biggest issues we'd run into were blown tires. Typically at least 1 per trip (they were long trips). One blow out took a chunk out of the inner wheel well. Didn't notice the hole when changing the tire and hit rain later that day. Nice soaking wet clothes stored under the bench to deal with that night.

While topping up the transmission fluid at a gas station, got a few drops down on the alternator, a few hours later when the TV started running like crap, managed to limp into a campground and find a garage to replace it the next morning.

Stabilizer jack (the spring loaded fold up kind) came down and got ripped off in a parking lot. Had to find a welder in town.

Sucked up a grocery bag into the TV AC recirc duct and had no fan in the van for that day. Took it apart at site (was pop riveted) cleaned it out and put it back together with just a small screw/nut driver set.

Did the brake lines on the TV the day before the trip. Next morning, had a puddle of brake fluid sitting under the van. Leaking ABS pump, guess I pumped them too hard when bleeding the lines.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
i hit a deer on the way to the campground. the front grill hit the deer in the hip - deer ran off. Not too bad, or so i thought. anyway, we go on down the road, no warnings on the dash but i would get a whiff every so often of something hot. We get to the campground and when i pull into our site and turn off the car, a bit of fluid drops from the engine to the ground - more than i would expect from the Air conditioner. i ask the campground if there is anybody who could look at the car and they recommend somebody (turns out he is also triple A). The guy comes out and looks at the engine and does say that the AC condenser is pushed a bit into the radiator, but it does not look to bad with a very minor leak and he thinks i can get home. So we run around all weekend sightseeing and the car seems fine. WELL, we don't make it home.... i hooked up the camper to pull it home but we hardly made it out of the campground when i get an overheat and have to pull over and we are now leaving a trail of water on the road. The guy comes back out and after working out the towing (he was not an approved tow company that my insurance could pay directly) - he put the Durango on the roll back, and hitched the camper to the ball hitch on the tow truck and we get to the insurance approved repair place (and of course, it rains). The repair place has extra storage lot where we can drop the camper while they work on the Durango... then i had to get a rental car to get us home. (whole nother story there) - so, we left the campground at 10 am and at 5 pm, we are just about ready to get on the road - but since we have not had anything to eat since breakfast - yeah we hit the first restaurant we came too, a mexican place for dinner and a huge margarita. it was one H*** of a very longggggg day. I think we finally got home around 9pm... so about 11 hours to go 130 miles......

Latest posts