What's going on at Lodge?

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by thethird152, Sep 28, 2018.

1. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

I'm a big fan of Lodge cast iron, but I've purchased two different (new, in the sealed box) DO's in the last two weeks, from two different places, and they've both been in really rough shape. The first one I ordered from Amazon. I'd read theories that companies have started selling their seconds through Amazon, figured that might be what happened, and sent it back. The second one I bought at Dick's Sporting Goods last night. When I got home and opened it up, it was the same issue. Scuffs, scratches, and most importantly, rusty spots where the factory-applied seasoning apparently did not grab.

I'm thinking very strongly of returning this one too and giving Camp Chef a try. Am I overreacting? I can easily re-season the pot and be on my merry way, but the fundamentalist in me doesn't want to buy a product from a company that is letting their quality slip. What do you guys think?

IMG_20180918_133716.jpg IMG_20180918_133721.jpg IMG_20180918_133727.jpg IMG_20180928_075942.jpg IMG_20180928_075957.jpg

Attached Files:

2. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

I guess if it were me, I would contact Lodge via FB or phone, maybe they will send you a free one or have suggestions.

I actually found a guy on CL a couple months ago near me that buys and sells the old stuff for a very reasonable cost. Very knowledgeable guy. I am wondering if you might have someone near you that might do the same. I am a big fan of 2nd hand cast iron because I do the seasoning and I know that it will be a quality cooker.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I'm under impressed with the majority of items I buy anymore. An auto store ordered a Interstate lawn tractor battery for me yesterday. When I picked it up, clearly the negative post was bent. Someone had reamed the hole out poorly, from both sides, to get a larger bolt in it. It also had wrench marks on the post. Post was bent either because it was dropped or hit with a hammer. They ordered me another.

As far as a new dutch oven, send it back. The more of their crap they have to deal with, hopefully it will change their quality control. I doubt it, but wishful thinking. I also buy old and re-season myself.

jnc, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

nothing is made lately that is worth a darn, there seems to be no Quality control. We are expected to pay more and live with the results that we buy.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ive got a dutch oven , for the home , not the camper. Its porcelen plated and expensive. I also have re done old cast iron pans that were rusted solid . With some effort , they cleaned up perfect. New is new, it should be so, if you wanted to fix up something, it wouldent be new. Send it back. But all cast iron can be cleaned seasoned.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Wow that is surprising, grant you the last time I bought a lodge Dutch oven was a couple years ago but I never had a problem and it was bought at Walmart. When I was in Gatlinburg, TN I nearly stopped at the Lodge store itself, but had the camper with me and was nervous I would get stuck in their parking lot. I agree though with the above posters, quality control is practically gone now, no one seems to stand by their product. Pretty sad when the tools in my grandparents times work far better than today's.

7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Send it back.
    If you want cast iron, look on CL or yard sales and get the old stuff.
    I had an entire 7 piece set of skillets given to me. They were rusty, I cleaned them up and have been using them for years now.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. thethird152

Well, I made the decision to keep it and just strip it down and re-season it, but that's likely the last time I buy a Lodge DO. I'm in agreement with everyone that old (especially good brand name) cast iron is far superior. I keep my eyes on CL and Facebook marketplace, but we live out in the country where everyone hangs on to their CI and passes it down through generations, so most of what I find is someone trying to sell a Wagner 8" skillet for $350. Also, campfire dutch ovens are even rarer to find in the wild - but I do keep my eyes open.

The good news is, this thing looks like a completely different pot with the factory seasoning removed and re-done. I have about two more coats to go, then I'll post some pics.

Thanks for all the input gang!

Byrd_Huntr and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

Stopped at Cabela's a few years back looking for a dutch oven. Tried several straight out of the box that did not have a tight seal between lower and lid. I didn't buy obviously.

Still looking for a Griswold or Wagner locally I can clean and re-season.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

I've been real happy with my Lodge purchases, but I do buy them at Lodge outlet stores where I can see what I'm getting.

thethird152 likes this.
  11. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

OK Lodge customer service is awesome. When I teach my Dutch oven class I tell them open the box in the store and check it. Lodge does not put a thick season on it. It is very thin. I have bought new ones that had the same thing. I just seasoned over it. I always added 4 layers of season then cook bacon in them a few times before I put anything else it. I looked at your pics everything you showed was on the outside. Was the inside good? the outside seasoning does not matters as much. I have some Dutch Ovens look like crap on the outside but inside are a nice deep black. So if buy anything from lodge and don't feel it is great call them. I bought a lodge cooking table after 6 months it stared to warp. called them they sent me a new table and hey paid to send it back. Of all the Dutch Oven manufacture Lodge has the best quality. Trust me I own over 26 Dutch ovens from 20" to 6" and to many skillets to count. If you need any help with cast iron just ask and I can help.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I bought most of my Lodge stuff from the seconds section at the outlets in Sevierville or Myrtle Beach anyway. Of course, I didn't pay full retail, either.

Sjm9911 and hvac1877 like this.
  13. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

A bit off topic, but if you go back, there are a couple places to park with the pup. For the Sevierville store, I’ve seen people park right on Two Rivers Blvd or I parked at the red mark last time since the businesses by it are empty. You could maybe find a spot at Smoky Mountain Knife Works too at the top of the picture, but that lot was packed when we were there.

9CDA953E-4366-4A34-9C08-1E8C78000842.jpeg

For the Pigeon Forge store, there is a ton of parking across the street.

D5D01547-EC5A-497A-9D9A-F4B303C9ED27.jpeg

Sjm9911 and hvac1877 like this.
  14. hvac1877

love seconds rack got my 2 16" on the seconds

15. thethird152

Thanks for the info - I guess I was overreacting a bit, it just seemed strange that the factory seasoning process could be that inconsistent. In any event, it looks great now. I applied three good seasoning rounds (using Crisco - that's my preferred method), then cooked some bacon in it on Sunday. It's looking great for the Sewer Rally next weekend.

I'd love to take your class! Unfortunately, I'm quite a ways from VA :)

Any chance you're coming down to NC for the big sewer cookout next week?

IMG_20180930_084247.jpg

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  16. hvac1877

no I wont be at the sewer rally but will be camping in March at the 2 State Dutch Oven Gathering. When you go o the sewer rally ask Dan Milan ( he is easy to spot he has one hand.)

17. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I think you will find plenty of DO knowledge there as it is....

thethird152 likes this.
  18. thethird152

Nah, I don't like Dan enough to talk to him....

19. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

LMOA..... He dont care much for you either....

thethird152 likes this.
  20. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I just bought a Lodge a couple of months ago. Over all I like the quality. (I made some stuffed bell peppers that came out fantastic). One thing I did notice was that the handle was screwed to the lid instead of being cast in one piece. Kind of a drawback if I use the lid as a cooking surface.

phoodieman